Are All Your QAM Channels Scrambled? - Page 20 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 34Likes

post #571 of 592 Old 12-29-2014, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by See The Light View Post
And then, last year, they started charging $6/mo for the modem. That's when I decided to buy my own modem. Beginning in Feb. of next year, I'll be saving $6/mo.
Watch your bill closely. Comcast tried charging me a rental fee for my own modem several times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 592 Old 12-29-2014, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Watch your bill closely. Comcast tried charging me a rental fee for my own modem several times.

Oh, I know what the exact amount should be, and look for that every time the bill is issued!

Cable Channel Choice is the only choice I want to make !!
post #573 of 592 Old 12-29-2014, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here in Grand Rapids Mi Comcast has encrypted all the clear qam channels including the 5 locals that used to be able to be viewed. There is a charge for just the locals and a box is needed now.
post #574 of 592 Old 12-29-2014, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmry0672 View Post
Here in Grand Rapids Mi Comcast has encrypted all the clear qam channels including the 5 locals that used to be able to be viewed. There is a charge for just the locals and a box is needed now.
Sorry. My days are numbered. I just saw my bill and they indicate I can get two DTAs for free. No mention if they are free or HD. Thanks for the info.
post #575 of 592 Old 12-31-2014, 09:28 PM

My latest cable indicates that NEW Prices will go into effect on the next billing statement in Jan. 2015.

The DTA charge will go from $1.50 to $2.75

The modem lease will go from $5.99 to $8.00

The "Broadcast TV" SURCHARGE will go from $2.25 to $2.75

A NEW SPORTS PROGRAMMING SURCHARGE will be added for $2.75

That's a monthly increase for the SAME service of $6.51 (x a Million subscribers = $6,510,000.00 extra for the same services/products.....

"Your promo discount will stay in effect for the promo period, and then, BAM! they will be applied then."

post #576 of 592 Old 01-01-2015, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My latest cable indicates that NEW Prices will go into effect on the next billing statement in Jan. 2015.
That's a monthly increase for the SAME service of $6.51 (x a Million subscribers = $6,510,000.00 extra for the same services/products.....
"Your promo discount will stay in effect for the promo period, and then, BAM! they will be applied then."
Amazing. I saw that in DSLReports. Sorry. What a difference a year makes: Are All Your QAM Channels Scrambled?
phildaant likes this.
post #577 of 592 Old 01-01-2015, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

Thinking of it in terms of the corporate world helps a little. TWC et al like AT&T, Verizon, etc. are for profit conglomerations unlike most gas and electric companies which serve similar purposes as monopolies in communities. Whereas a nonprofit will raise prices to meet the cost of doing business, a profit corporation does so merely to meet stockholder demands. In the case of cable and these price increases, broadcasters are charging more and the cost of keeping customers supplied with network access is to pass on those rates hikes to the consumer rather than make shareholders pay. It's not uncommon for corporations to act this way. Gasoline, food, clothing, housing, transportation etc. all tend to go up over time for the same and other reasons. TV used to be free with rabbit ears. Why does everyone think there's a free lunch for cable and satellite with all the enhanced services provided since pre-coax? Bite the dust, call for promos, take Screw Your Cable Co. 101 and get on with life.

Not picking on you See The Light, just saying.
Tom White and HDMI Guy like this.

Arvy
post #578 of 592 Old 01-01-2015, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Everything keeps going up!
post #579 of 592 Old 01-01-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
Everything keeps going up!

Not exactly... the "buying power" of the wage earner, has actually gone down some, since the 1970's, adjusted for inflation.

Someday.... we'll be Greece, or maybe Brazil.

post #580 of 592 Old 01-01-2015, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvy View Post
TV used to be free with rabbit ears.
TV is still FREE with an antenna. Rabbit ears may not work with HDTV, but I don't think anyone wants to watch an equivalent of 480i on their fancy 1080p or 4k TV's, anyways.

A sub-$100 investment in an antenna will solve most people's perceived "problems" with the "big bad cable company".
phildaant likes this.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #581 of 592 Old 01-01-2015, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvy View Post
... TV used to be free with rabbit ears...
Um, TV is still free with OTA antenna(s/e) like rabbit ears if you can get receiptions. My former home can get all the local channels, but my new place can't.
post #582 of 592 Old 01-01-2015, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post
TV is still FREE with an antenna. Rabbit ears may not work with HDTV, but I don't think anyone wants to watch an equivalent of 480i on their fancy 1080p or 4k TV's, anyways.

A sub-$100 investment in an antenna will solve most people's perceived "problems" with the "big bad cable company".
Rabbit ears can do HD when the stations transmit them like CBS, ABC, NBC, CW, FOX, etc., but they have to be close enough to the transmitters. For the farther stations, more powerful antenna is needed.
post #583 of 592 Old 01-01-2015, 09:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Um, TV is still free with OTA antenna(s/e) like rabbit ears if you can get receiptions. My former home can get all the local channels, but my new place can't.
My point is there's very little to do about the cost when anyone wants all the options, bells and whistles, and choices, even shortcomings, cable/satellite offer. There's no government regulation like with gas and electric utilities so the marketplace decides. Don't like the prices? Go to Roku, TiVo, Homerun Prime, antennae, anything like those. It's not like we as consumers decide other than through purchasing choice power what cabelcos will charge. Corporations will squeeze what they can out of the public and look socially responsible by donating to tax deductible charities and publicize it. It's the nature of the beast. If someone doesn't want to pay $3/loaf of bread then pay $2 for another brand of perhaps lesser quality. Or a Civic instead of a Porsche. Or ...
phildaant likes this.

Arvy
post #584 of 592 Old 01-02-2015, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Rabbit ears can do HD when the stations transmit them like CBS, ABC, NBC, CW, FOX, etc., but they have to be close enough to the transmitters. For the farther stations, more powerful antenna is needed.

More powerful and possibly directional.

I found the "sweet spot" for my RCA ANT 751R mounted in the attic that "used" to pull in most of the LP channels, and all of the major channels. But, over time, with changes in LP transmitters and/or tree growth in the vicinity, I no longer get some of the LP channels I used to enjoy.

If you live close enough to the transmitters, Cedar Hill, in this area, then a $2 antenna from the "Dollar Store" will get you most channels.

While the US Gov. went out of their way to get everyone that wanted a converter box, the issue of now, not getting some the channels, even with an indoor HD antenna has never been adequately investigated and reported on, nor will it likely ever be. Many users, many older users, just live with they now get digitally.
phildaant likes this.

post #585 of 592 Old 01-02-2015, 12:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
More powerful and possibly directional.

I found the "sweet spot" for my RCA ANT 751R mounted in the attic that "used" to pull in most of the LP channels, and all of the major channels. But, over time, with changes in LP transmitters and/or tree growth in the vicinity, I no longer get some of the LP channels I used to enjoy.

If you live close enough to the transmitters, Cedar Hill, in this area, then a $2 antenna from the "Dollar Store" will get you most channels.

While the US Gov. went out of their way to get everyone that wanted a converter box, the issue of now, not getting some the channels, even with an indoor HD antenna has never been adequately investigated and reported on, nor will it likely ever be. Many users, many older users, just live with they now get digitally.
I had that antenna at my old place in my upstair room's closet (only half expanded too). I miss free OTA channels.
post #586 of 592 Old 01-19-2015, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
In the picture I will upload, you see the order service page for Comcast in Bellingham, and the option "Basic Service Connection," this means channels 2-29 are still in ClearQAM. Not for long, though. When they do encrypt, I guess I'll go with CommunityNet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dtagraphic.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	488970  
post #587 of 592 Old 01-19-2015, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakec113 View Post
In the picture I will upload, you see the order service page for Comcast in Bellingham, and the option "Basic Service Connection," this means channels 2-29 are still in ClearQAM. Not for long, though. When they do encrypt, I guess I'll go with CommunityNet.
Let me know when it happens. I lose my last clear QAM on 2/10 but I picked up a DTA for one TV. I still have two TiVos and a Mini to cover the rest. The DTA (up to two) is free and will be ok for HD also. I expect total chaos next month. I only expect 16 channels, but that's enough for my mother when she gets back from Florida for the few summer months. Take care.
post #588 of 592 Old 02-25-2015, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This Hurts

Well, it had to happen. My feed is starting to encrypt everything. They are moving slowly. Lots of bad feedback on FB. Up to two free DTA for ?? long.
post #589 of 592 Old 02-25-2015, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Well, it had to happen. My feed is starting to encrypt everything. They are moving slowly. Lots of bad feedback on FB. Up to two free DTA for ?? long.
Probably a year, then the price will probably go to $2 each and then jump a $1 every year or so.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #590 of 592 Old 02-26-2015, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post
Probably a year, then the price will probably go to $2 each and then jump a $1 every year or so.

The originally also had a line item on the bill for the N/C DTA for, the DTA Remote (also N/C).

So there's another revenue stream waiting to be turned on...

post #591 of 592 Old Today, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
my feed...

is encrypting everything too
post #592 of 592 Old Today, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.jay View Post
is encrypting everything too
Where are you located and who's your cable company? Thanks.

I lost three channels yesterday. Death by a thousand cuts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV