Are All Your QAM Channels Scrambled? - Page 21 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
Old Today, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 240
^^ Of course, the cable companies rephrased their arguments for the public good:

The theft of services meant more splitting of the signals so it degraded the quality of signal that paying customers were receiving, and in many cases the encryption of the signal was the only feasible way to discourage theft of service. (There have even been people posting here on AVSFORUM arguing that since they were paying for broadband Internet, if the cable also "leaked" TV service, it wasn't theft of service since the cable company should have blocked the TV signals. And then there are questions that get posted on how to set up something without contacting their cable company, even though all cable companies routinely handle whatever that request was, implying that they weren't paying customers. Both types of posts seem to have become less frequent as more areas have gone all digital and encrypted all channels.)

The elimination of truck rolls for upgrades, downgrades, and disconnects meant reduced prices to customers where the truck rolls were not needed, the improvement of convenience, and the reduction in burning fossil fuels and thus beneficial to the environment. (Indeed, when my service went from "Digital Starter" to "Preferred Digital" with certain premium channels, all the additional channels with the service upgrade were available within an hour instead of having to schedule and wait for a truck roll.)

In exchange, the FCC imposed certain requirements, such as needing to send out notices when services become digital only, notice before scrambling the basic channels, and providing a certain number of boxes per household for a certain period of time for free or very economic rental fee for receiving digital or encrypted basic service channels. That requirement didn't extend to higher tiers of service nor to decryption STBs more sophisticated than a basic DTA. (So, no, the HD DVR I am renting never qualified, but I knew the HD DVR would be far superior than my limit of free DTAs and continue using VCRs, which by then weren't sold as stand-alone VCRs but available in the box stores only as combo VCR/DVD units).

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player, Roku N1000 (original model), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (120Mbps/12Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Preferred Plus), DVD/VHS player.
Sponsored Links