Are All Your QAM Channels Scrambled? - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 26Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 561 Old 10-11-2013, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
JoeKustra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 6,776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 135

Thank you for quite a story!

JoeKustra is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 561 Old 10-13-2013, 06:14 PM
Newbie
 
charlie11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

It seemed strange that the new HD DTA devices from Comcast would produce only SD signals through the HDMI port, but that's what mine were doing.  However, after reading the previous post (and many thanks for that!!!)  I thought it would be worth a call to Comcast. 

 

Surprisingly, their online chat tech was able to help.  After some central change was made and the devices reset, the broadcast HD channels were  available.  I have to say that the online tech was quick, capable and polite, but that doesn't let Comcast off the hook as far as I am concerned.  Why the initial activation of these devices did not automatically provide HD is inexplicable and just bad business, because it forced me (and no doubt many others) to make a needless support call.

 

Even more galling is the misguided strategy of scrambling basic limited cable services in the first place.  No doubt it is a money-making move, but it comes on the backs of low-end subscribers who can only afford basic cable, increasing costs after after a few years and decreasing convenience.  It also adds several more always-on devices to every home, wasting energy and resources.  Plus it renders obsolete an entire generation of tuners and other devices that were designed and purchased under the assumption that broadcast channels and the QAM HD programming made available over the air would remain unscrambled through cable.  

 

My elegant Elgado EyeTV adapter, for example, used to plug right into the wall, and served HD right to my laptop PCs.  Now there's an intervening DTA, and because the EyeTV has only a coax input, it only provides SD signal to my Mac.  It used to work with Windows Media Center on my Win7 laptop, but now it doesn't find any channels at all, even 3.  There is probably some setup solution, but I'm not happy about the hours it may take me to find and install.

 

For this fiasco we have the cable lobbyists and spineless FCC regulators to thank.  Unregulated monopolies are always predatory and the consumer suffers.

TV123 likes this.
charlie11 is offline  
post #183 of 561 Old 10-14-2013, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
blueiedgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Amherst, NY
Posts: 1,585
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie11 View Post

It seemed strange that the new HD DTA devices from Comcast would produce only SD signals through the HDMI port, but that's what mine were doing.  However, after reading the previous post (and many thanks for that!!!)  I thought it would be worth a call to Comcast. 

Surprisingly, their online chat tech was able to help.  After some central change was made and the devices reset, the broadcast HD channels were  available.  I have to say that the online tech was quick, capable and polite, but that doesn't let Comcast off the hook as far as I am concerned.  Why the initial activation of these devices did not automatically provide HD is inexplicable and just bad business, because it forced me (and no doubt many others) to make a needless support call.

Even more galling is the misguided strategy of scrambling basic limited cable services in the first place.  No doubt it is a money-making move, but it comes on the backs of low-end subscribers who can only afford basic cable, increasing costs after after a few years and decreasing convenience.  It also adds several more always-on devices to every home, wasting energy and resources.  Plus it renders obsolete an entire generation of tuners and other devices that were designed and purchased under the assumption that broadcast channels and the QAM HD programming made available over the air would remain unscrambled through cable.  

My elegant Elgado EyeTV adapter, for example, used to plug right into the wall, and served HD right to my laptop PCs.  Now there's an intervening DTA, and because the EyeTV has only a coax input, it only provides SD signal to my Mac.  It used to work with Windows Media Center on my Win7 laptop, but now it doesn't find any channels at all, even 3.  There is probably some setup solution, but I'm not happy about the hours it may take me to find and install.

For this fiasco we have the cable lobbyists and spineless FCC regulators to thank.  Unregulated monopolies are always predatory and the consumer suffers.

"Low cost", "Low Income", "poor" and so forth are not synonymous with Mac and Apple products biggrin.gif

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
blueiedgod is offline  
post #184 of 561 Old 10-14-2013, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
JoeKustra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 6,776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post


"Low cost", "Low Income", "poor" and so forth are not synonymous with Mac and Apple products biggrin.gif

Be nice. My mother could care less about digital cable as long as her "stories" come through. But in a related note:

http://www.fiercecable.com/story/canada-propose-forcing-la-carte-programming/2013-10-14?utm_medium=nl&utm_source=internal

 

We should adopt Canada. Or they should adopt us. I love paying for 200 channels and watching 10.

JoeKustra is online now  
post #185 of 561 Old 10-14-2013, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 2,008
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoagent101 View Post

I have an update to my situation as well as an answer to the question above. First, I am impressed by Comcast's escalated customer service. I sent my email above to "we_can_help@cable.comcast.com" and heard back from someone on Comcast's "executive team" or something like that the next day. The person actually left a callback number and extension where I could reach her to return her phone call (something Comcast and other companies often don't do, which is ridiculously frustrating). She actually answered the phone, so I did not have to spend the next week playing phone tag. I repeated my email when she asked me to describe the problem (why is it that when you write a company, they always ask you to repeat yourself about six times?). I then got her email address so that I could contact her more efficiently, which was important. She told me that a technician would be contacting me to resolve my issues.

I waited a day, then emailed her telling her that no one had called. Someone did indeed call soon, and he was quite good and knowledgeable, a tech in the escalated services division called Tech Central.... He stated that my HD Homerun box was obsolete, so Comcast would not be providing a solution for this. He did tell me that I could go into the local Comcast office and pick up a Cablecard, which I could then put into a Cablecard-based tuner. He stated that I would not be charged for this Cablecard and would be able to receive Limited Basic service at the same price as before, and would be able to specifically use an HD Homerun Prime (Cablecard-based tuner) to record shows with WMC.

AFAIK the HDHomeRun Prime + CableCARD will do the job just fine. But one quibble: your current HDHomeRun is not "obsolete" - except in the sense that Comcast has "obsoleted" every clear QAM device! I may be wrong but I think Silicon Dust still sells the original HDHomeRun. The Prime is more expensive and not everyone needs its CableCARD support.

The way I read it, to truly comply with the FCC mandate Comcast would have to offer to loan you the HDHomeRun Prime itself (at least until December 2015), which is, after all, an IP-based tuner; they shouldn't make you buy your own HDHomeRun Prime to plug their CableCARD into. But either way, the Prime will work; and the advantage of you buying it is that it's yours, not Comcast's.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #186 of 561 Old 10-14-2013, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
JoeKustra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 6,776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 135

You seem to have a lot of knowledge in this area. I wish I had more time to do research. Let me ask you this: what comes first. A TV without a QAM tuner, all cable systems totally encrypted, or a sign on a TV that says "Not For Cable?" I know this is a slow process and I may be dead before there is no longer clear QAM. I figure cable must go first since retailers would not like something negative near any product. Perhaps there will be something that makes people "like" a STB. Perhaps there will be an "yet unknown thing" that will really upset the whole apple cart. It's scary out there.

JoeKustra is online now  
post #187 of 561 Old 10-14-2013, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
olyteddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,561
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoagent101 View Post

I have an update to my situation as well as an answer to the question above. First, I am impressed by Comcast's escalated customer service. I sent my email above to "we_can_help@cable.comcast.com" and heard back from someone on Comcast's "executive team" or something like that the next day. The person actually left a callback number and extension where I could reach her to return her phone call (something Comcast and other companies often don't do, which is ridiculously frustrating). She actually answered the phone, so I did not have to spend the next week playing phone tag. I repeated my email when she asked me to describe the problem (why is it that when you write a company, they always ask you to repeat yourself about six times?). I then got her email address so that I could contact her more efficiently, which was important. She told me that a technician would be contacting me to resolve my issues.

I waited a day, then emailed her telling her that no one had called. Someone did indeed call soon, and he was quite good and knowledgeable, a tech in the escalated services division called Tech Central.... He stated that my HD Homerun box was obsolete, so Comcast would not be providing a solution for this. He did tell me that I could go into the local Comcast office and pick up a Cablecard, which I could then put into a Cablecard-based tuner. He stated that I would not be charged for this Cablecard and would be able to receive Limited Basic service at the same price as before, and would be able to specifically use an HD Homerun Prime (Cablecard-based tuner) to record shows with WMC.

AFAIK the HDHomeRun Prime + CableCARD will do the job just fine. But one quibble: your current HDHomeRun is not "obsolete" - except in the sense that Comcast has "obsoleted" every clear QAM device! I may be wrong but I think Silicon Dust still sells the original HDHomeRun. The Prime is more expensive and not everyone needs its CableCARD support.

The way I read it, to truly comply with the FCC mandate Comcast would have to offer to loan you the HDHomeRun Prime itself (at least until December 2015), which is, after all, an IP-based tuner; they shouldn't make you buy your own HDHomeRun Prime to plug their CableCARD into. But either way, the Prime will work; and the advantage of you buying it is that it's yours, not Comcast's.
IMO at this time there is no reason to buy anything but a CableCard capable tuner, unless you need it for OTA reception. The Prime works fine as a clear QAM tuner and has three tuners for about $120 (on sale) versus 2 tuners in the HDHR non-CC tuner for around $70 (on sale). Five bucks a tuner is cheap insurance against obsolescence.
olyteddy is offline  
post #188 of 561 Old 10-15-2013, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
blueiedgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Amherst, NY
Posts: 1,585
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Be nice. My mother could care less about digital cable as long as her "stories" come through. But in a related note:
http://www.fiercecable.com/story/canada-propose-forcing-la-carte-programming/2013-10-14?utm_medium=nl&utm_source=internal

We should adopt Canada. Or they should adopt us. I love paying for 200 channels and watching 10.

While I like ala carte approach. Problem with ala carte is that less popular channels are subsidised by the most popular ones. Without having access to the statistics it is hard to guess, but my guess would be that there are fewer people watching History or Science channels than there are watching ESPN.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
blueiedgod is offline  
post #189 of 561 Old 10-15-2013, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
blueiedgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Amherst, NY
Posts: 1,585
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

AFAIK the HDHomeRun Prime + CableCARD will do the job just fine. But one quibble: your current HDHomeRun is not "obsolete" - except in the sense that Comcast has "obsoleted" every clear QAM device! I may be wrong but I think Silicon Dust still sells the original HDHomeRun. The Prime is more expensive and not everyone needs its CableCARD support.

The way I read it, to truly comply with the FCC mandate Comcast would have to offer to loan you the HDHomeRun Prime itself (at least until December 2015), which is, after all, an IP-based tuner; they shouldn't make you buy your own HDHomeRun Prime to plug their CableCARD into. But either way, the Prime will work; and the advantage of you buying it is that it's yours, not Comcast's.

HomeRun Dual is not obsolete. It works just fine with an antenna.

ClearQAM as a standard is obsolete, just like NTSC, BetaCam, VHS and HDDVD.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
blueiedgod is offline  
post #190 of 561 Old 10-15-2013, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
JoeKustra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 6,776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post


HomeRun Dual is not obsolete. It works just fine with an antenna.

ClearQAM as a standard is obsolete, just like NTSC, BetaCam, VHS and HDDVD.

I didn't know that. I guess AM and FM will be next. Or maybe 8VSB or SSB.

JoeKustra is online now  
post #191 of 561 Old 10-15-2013, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dattier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chicago IL, Northwest Side
Posts: 2,940
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Let me ask you this: what comes first. A TV without a QAM tuner, all cable systems totally encrypted, or a sign on a TV that says "Not For Cable?"
We've already had televisions without QAM tuners, back in the olden days before QAM.  No, they didn't have signs reading "not for cable," as there was no cable TV then either.
dattier is offline  
post #192 of 561 Old 10-15-2013, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 2,008
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

IMO at this time there is no reason to buy anything but a CableCard capable tuner, unless you need it for OTA reception. The Prime works fine as a clear QAM tuner and has three tuners for about $120 (on sale) versus 2 tuners in the HDHR non-CC tuner for around $70 (on sale). Five bucks a tuner is cheap insurance against obsolescence.
A rather big "unless," I'd say wink.gif But generally I agree. Certainly, if I were buying a new HTPC tuner for cable, I'd pick the Prime.

I was just pointing out that Comcast doesn't have the right to call the 2-tuner HDHR "obsolete" just because they lobbied the FCC to repeal an important consumer protection, then took advantage of the repeal. It's not as if a new and improved modulation standard is replacing QAM the way QAM replaced analog. (Encryption may be an improvement from Comcast's point of view but it offers no direct benefit to their customers.) And I don't think anyone could be faulted for buying a clear QAM tuner, especially before last December's FCC ruling. That's why I think that Comcast is at least obliged to offer a "loaner" IP tuner to 2-tuner HDHR owners, even if the customer decides they're better off buying their own Prime instead.

As for photoagent101, maybe he can hook his old HDHR up to an antenna and hook his new Prime up to Comcast. That would give him the best of both worlds (although he'd need something like TunerSalad to let WMC use all 5 tuners). Local HD channels often have better picture quality via antenna than cable. In any case, he'd at least have a couple extra tuners for recording local shows.

BTW, though the Prime may work fine as a clear QAM tuner, that's not necessarily true of other CableCARD-compatible tuners. Caveat emptor.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #193 of 561 Old 10-15-2013, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 2,008
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

HomeRun Dual is not obsolete. It works just fine with an antenna.

ClearQAM as a standard is obsolete, just like NTSC, BetaCam, VHS and HDDVD.
I didn't know that. I guess AM and FM will be next. Or maybe 8VSB or SSB.
I think he's mixing two concepts. Of course "QAM" as a modulation standard is not obsolete. What's arguable is the "clear" part. I guess "clear" is "obsolete" if you have Comcast (at least, that's their story), nowhere near obsolete if you have OTA, and may or may not be if you have another cable company.

"Obsolete" is a loaded term anyhow. Was Beta made "obsolete" by VHS? Many Beta fans would say no; it was eclipsed by an incompatible, better-marketed standard; not a superior technology. (I'm personally agnostic on the Beta-vs.-VHS debate; just bringing it up as an example. Besides, Sony got their revenge with Blu-Ray wink.gif ) I suspect most folks would agree that Beta (and VHS) were rendered obsolete by digital media, though.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #194 of 561 Old 10-15-2013, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 2,008
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Let me ask you this: what comes first. A TV without a QAM tuner, all cable systems totally encrypted, or a sign on a TV that says "Not For Cable?"
We've already had televisions without QAM tuners, back in the olden days before QAM.  No, they didn't have signs reading "not for cable," as there was no cable TV then either.

I still have some of those old no-QAM TVs. Most of mine did work with (analog) cable (although one only went up to cable channel 36 rolleyes.gif ).

Guess Joe should have said, a digital TV without a QAM tuner wink.gif But come to think of it, I have a couple of those too wink.gif

I suspect if/when totally-encrypted cable becomes the rule in the US, we'll see a split in the TV market: some with cheaper OTA-only tuners, and others with CableCard-compatible tuners.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #195 of 561 Old 10-15-2013, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ken.F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West Rockhill, PA
Posts: 2,038
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

As for photoagent101, maybe he can hook his old HDHR up to an antenna and hook his new Prime up to Comcast. That would give him the best of both worlds (although he'd need something like TunerSalad to let WMC use all 5 tuners). Local HD channels often have better picture quality via antenna than cable. In any case, he'd at least have a couple extra tuners for recording local shows.
The WMC 4-tuner limit is actually a limit of 4 tuners of each type. He wouldn't need TunerSalad for 2 ATSC and 3 CableCARD tuners.
JHBrandt likes this.
Ken.F is offline  
post #196 of 561 Old 10-15-2013, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
JoeKustra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 6,776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post


I think he's mixing two concepts. Of course "QAM" as a modulation standard is not obsolete. What's arguable is the "clear" part. I guess "clear" is "obsolete" if you have Comcast (at least, that's their story), nowhere near obsolete if you have OTA, and may or may not be if you have another cable company.

"Obsolete" is a loaded term anyhow. Was Beta made "obsolete" by VHS? Many Beta fans would say no; it was eclipsed by an incompatible, better-marketed standard; not a superior technology. (I'm personally agnostic on the Beta-vs.-VHS debate; just bringing it up as an example. Besides, Sony got their revenge with Blu-Ray wink.gif ) I suspect most folks would agree that Beta (and VHS) were rendered obsolete by digital media, though.

I guess I let my button get pushed. Comparing a modulation method with a bunch of people making specs is not a fair comparison. I still get vsb channels (video is AM and audio is FM). But that is going to heaven next month. I'll stick to documenting loss of clear QAM and just watch.

I do have this vision of a gigantic pile of QAM devices without a cable card slot. But on the other hand, who is building all these DTA boxes? Sounds like a good investment. But at least one cable company is deploying the Roamio.

JoeKustra is online now  
post #197 of 561 Old 10-15-2013, 05:39 PM
Member
 
blust2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldensign View Post

I just posted in another forum. All Comcast clear QAM channels that were available at 3 AM are now shown on my Sony HDTV as SCRAMBLED. On other digital-tuner TVs and other devices (DVRs with digital tuners) the channels are just black. I know the cable is still connected as I get rebroadcast FM radio stations and 1 or 2 TV channels. All the other clear QAM channels are now scrambled.

I suffered the same fate. Today (10/15/2013) I woke up to find out my HDTV and three Philps/Magnovax HDVR became useless. All channels are now scrambled by Camcast. My routine was to record network TV then edit to DVD if I like it. What should I do now? Is there a DVD/Hard Drive recorder that has HDMI input so I can keep my routine?

By the way, I live in Pittsburgh, PA.
blust2 is offline  
post #198 of 561 Old 10-16-2013, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
JoeKustra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 6,776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by blust2 View Post


I suffered the same fate. Today (10/15/2013) I woke up to find out my HDTV and three Philps/Magnovax HDVR became useless. All channels are now scrambled by Camcast. My routine was to record network TV then edit to DVD if I like it. What should I do now? Is there a DVD/Hard Drive recorder that has HDMI input so I can keep my routine?

By the way, I live in Pittsburgh, PA.

That sucks. I have a 2160A and 515H. You might ask here:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/newestpost/1460149

 

You might need to think of alternatives.

JoeKustra is online now  
post #199 of 561 Old 10-16-2013, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
zaphod7501's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Peoria Illinois
Posts: 1,935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by blust2 View Post

I suffered the same fate. Today (10/15/2013) I woke up to find out my HDTV and three Philps/Magnovax HDVR became useless. All channels are now scrambled by Camcast. My routine was to record network TV then edit to DVD if I like it. What should I do now? Is there a DVD/Hard Drive recorder that has HDMI input so I can keep my routine?

By the way, I live in Pittsburgh, PA.
[personal opinion mode] With all of the DRM associated with HDMI, I don't think you will find (consumer friendly) recorders with high definition inputs until blu-ray recorders hit the US market..... but with the loss of clear QAM we may never see that product here.

Since your current process only records and archives in standard definition, you have no real need for HDMI or High Definition inputs. [/personal opinion mode]

My solution was to slave my recorders to cable boxes and CECB OTA boxes. In order to allow some version of timed recordings, I can use the composite input for one box (a second or third composite input would allow more box connections), channel 3 for another (like a DTA with only RF coax output), and I combine that channel 3 with two modulators that can take other boxes and convert to other channels. (I use 90 and 125) so my coax has three recordable channels on it. More modulators would allow more analog channels to be added, but you get the idea.

The main trick is to preset each box to a desired channel. I have a little grid chart by my PC for a daily reminder. Obviously you have to set all manual recordings and cannot use any Tivo-like guides.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
zaphod7501 is offline  
post #200 of 561 Old 10-16-2013, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
blueiedgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Amherst, NY
Posts: 1,585
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

A rather big "unless," I'd say wink.gif But generally I agree. Certainly, if I were buying a new HTPC tuner for cable, I'd pick the Prime.

I was just pointing out that Comcast doesn't have the right to call the 2-tuner HDHR "obsolete" just because they lobbied the FCC to repeal an important consumer protection, then took advantage of the repeal. It's not as if a new and improved modulation standard is replacing QAM the way QAM replaced analog. (Encryption may be an improvement from Comcast's point of view but it offers no direct benefit to their customers.) And I don't think anyone could be faulted for buying a clear QAM tuner, especially before last December's FCC ruling. That's why I think that Comcast is at least obliged to offer a "loaner" IP tuner to 2-tuner HDHR owners, even if the customer decides they're better off buying their own Prime instead.

As for photoagent101, maybe he can hook his old HDHR up to an antenna and hook his new Prime up to Comcast. That would give him the best of both worlds (although he'd need something like TunerSalad to let WMC use all 5 tuners). Local HD channels often have better picture quality via antenna than cable. In any case, he'd at least have a couple extra tuners for recording local shows.

BTW, though the Prime may work fine as a clear QAM tuner, that's not necessarily true of other CableCARD-compatible tuners. Caveat emptor.

You don't need tuner salad. ATSC and CableCARD tuners are different types of tuners. WMC limitation is for 4 tuners of the same type.

Like you said, tuner salad or Ceton driver overcomes the limitation. We have been doing OTA with 6x ATSC tuners (3x SDHRD's) and CableCARD tuners (6 now) for a few years. It works best for us.

SDHRD is ATSC/ClearQAM tuner, SDHRP is CableCARD/ClearQAM tuner.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
blueiedgod is offline  
post #201 of 561 Old 10-16-2013, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
blueiedgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Amherst, NY
Posts: 1,585
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by blust2 View Post

I suffered the same fate. Today (10/15/2013) I woke up to find out my HDTV and three Philps/Magnovax HDVR became useless. All channels are now scrambled by Camcast. My routine was to record network TV then edit to DVD if I like it. What should I do now? Is there a DVD/Hard Drive recorder that has HDMI input so I can keep my routine?

By the way, I live in Pittsburgh, PA.

Most ClearQAM tuners have ATSC capability. Get an antenna and they are as good as new.

There is no HDMI recorder. There are HDMI capture cards, but they will not capture protected content, which your cable box is most likely to output.

Windows 7 is pretty much your only choice, unless you want to sell a kidney to get a TiVO.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
blueiedgod is offline  
post #202 of 561 Old 10-16-2013, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
blueiedgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Amherst, NY
Posts: 1,585
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post

[personal opinion mode] With all of the DRM associated with HDMI, I don't think you will find (consumer friendly) recorders with high definition inputs until blu-ray recorders hit the US market..... but with the loss of clear QAM we may never see that product here.

Since your current process only records and archives in standard definition, you have no real need for HDMI or High Definition inputs. [/personal opinion mode]

My solution was to slave my recorders to cable boxes and CECB OTA boxes. In order to allow some version of timed recordings, I can use the composite input for one box (a second or third composite input would allow more box connections), channel 3 for another (like a DTA with only RF coax output), and I combine that channel 3 with two modulators that can take other boxes and convert to other channels. (I use 90 and 125) so my coax has three recordable channels on it. More modulators would allow more analog channels to be added, but you get the idea.

The main trick is to preset each box to a desired channel. I have a little grid chart by my PC for a daily reminder. Obviously you have to set all manual recordings and cannot use any Tivo-like guides.

Too complex.

Put your PC to a better use than to host a chart of recordings next to it.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
blueiedgod is offline  
post #203 of 561 Old 10-16-2013, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
JoeKustra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 6,776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by blust2 View Post


I suffered the same fate. Today (10/15/2013) I woke up to find out my HDTV and three Philps/Magnovax HDVR became useless. All channels are now scrambled by Camcast. My routine was to record network TV then edit to DVD if I like it. What should I do now? Is there a DVD/Hard Drive recorder that has HDMI input so I can keep my routine?

By the way, I live in Pittsburgh, PA.

Perhaps your local Comcast would cut you a deal on free DTA units with RWY output to feed the Magnavox units. They're not HD anyway. Even an HD STB could have RWY SD output. Just a thought.

JoeKustra is online now  
post #204 of 561 Old 10-16-2013, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
eddie_d_lopez's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Pueblo, CO
Posts: 571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Pueblo, CO scrambled on 10/15/2013.

Edit: to be precise, all local HD QAM channels are now scrambled.

Comcast, E.D.L.
eddie_d_lopez is offline  
post #205 of 561 Old 10-16-2013, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
JoeKustra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 6,776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie_d_lopez View Post

Pueblo, CO scrambled on 10/15/2013.

Edit: to be precise, all local HD QAM channels are now scrambled.

Are the mirror SD digital channels still clear? I probably wouldn't notice for a while if my SD QAM went away but I record/watch The Weather Channel in SD since the radar is better and the screen is less cluttered. Like my feed of CNBC. Comcast, right?

JoeKustra is online now  
post #206 of 561 Old 10-16-2013, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
eddie_d_lopez's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Pueblo, CO
Posts: 571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
everything is scrambled now. just have the emergency broadcast and comcast stream notifying users of the changes and additional hardware requirements.

Comcast, E.D.L.
eddie_d_lopez is offline  
post #207 of 561 Old 10-16-2013, 02:20 PM
Member
 
blust2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Perhaps your local Comcast would cut you a deal on free DTA units with RWY output to feed the Magnavox units. They're not HD anyway. Even an HD STB could have RWY SD output. Just a thought.

I got two free SD-DTA for two years from 2010 to 2012. Then began to pay $2 rental per since 2012. DTA are used to watch cable channels. Before yesterday, Comcast had weather channel and local networks on clear QAM channels that my Magnavox can pick up without DTA. Now every channel including weather channel and mirrored SD local network channels are scrambled, thus all HDTV and HDDR with QAM tuners are uselss.

Magnavox can record full 16:9 screen at 480p on QAM tuner programs. With DTA, Magnavox can' t record full 16:9 screen. It will have black bar on both side for 4:3 SD programs and black bar on four sides for 16:9 programs at 480i. Watch the TV after magnifying is like watching 240i.

Added: I just found a solution to my problem and it is an easy one. I bought an indoor HDTV antenna (paperthin FL5000 that can be taped on any window) from Home Depot for $30. Now my QAM tuners are live again. And recording quality are the same as cable except CW channel.
blust2 is offline  
post #208 of 561 Old 10-17-2013, 03:48 PM
Senior Member
 
JorgeA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 272
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post

My solution was to slave my recorders to cable boxes and CECB OTA boxes. In order to allow some version of timed recordings, I can use the composite input for one box (a second or third composite input would allow more box connections), channel 3 for another (like a DTA with only RF coax output), and I combine that channel 3 with two modulators that can take other boxes and convert to other channels. (I use 90 and 125) so my coax has three recordable channels on it. More modulators would allow more analog channels to be added, but you get the idea.

It'd be great to see a chart (or even a verbal description using --> arrows <-- ) of this setup, starting from the wall (cable coax) and the antenna (OTA).
JorgeA is offline  
post #209 of 561 Old 10-17-2013, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
olyteddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,561
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Aren't you guys making it over complicated? My set top box allows you to program it from the guide to automatically change channels. I use it so I can go to bed watching Criminal Minds on ION and wake up to the news instead of the religious pap or infomercials they have in the morning.
olyteddy is offline  
post #210 of 561 Old 10-17-2013, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
zaphod7501's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Peoria Illinois
Posts: 1,935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

Aren't you guys making it over complicated? My set top box allows you to program it from the guide to automatically change channels. I use it so I can go to bed watching Criminal Minds on ION and wake up to the news instead of the religious pap or infomercials they have in the morning.
Unfortunately, my set-top-box has that feature disabled and the DTAs don't have it, nor do my CECB tuners. A complication that I and the OP have is that we want to archive some shows (after editing) as well as just watch some others.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
zaphod7501 is offline  
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off