Coax to Component? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-12-2013, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys I have a complex situation with an interesting question. Basically I need to convert my coax line into component (YPbPr) for an extra TV I have to put in another room. I really don't want to pay the cable company for another set top box, so I found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RF-Coax-CATV-To-Component-Video-DVI-HDMI-VGA-Kit-/350332947366

But I can't find any real information or review on it. Not to mention the price tag. Is it worth it to get that to do what I want to do, or should I just get another cable set top box? (The TV in question doesn't have a coax line, just YPbPr and audio)

Thanks for your time.

PS. I just found this, cheaper and more simple option:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coax-RF-Composite-Component-Video-HDMI-DVI-Converter-/350352083723?pt=US_Satellite_TV_Receivers&hash=item51929c8b0b

If it will work and it is the best option, I'd rather buy that than the first one I linked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-12-2013, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Have you considered just building your own DVR/Cable box? And not pay the cable company for the privilidge of renting their crappy boxes?

FCC allows for DIY DVR's, all you have to do is get a CableCard from your provider. Each cable card can decrypt 6 streams, and once decrypted, you can do whatever you want with them.

We have 6 TV's, and only pay $3.99/month to rent a cable card, instead of $60 - $70 to rent boxes/DVR.

Comcast gives you cablecard for free, Time Warner charges $2.50/month, Verizon $3.99/month.

If you have a windows 7 PC you already have 90% of the hardware and software needed. You will get the same guide listing, same ability to record, view, rewind, forward, and play TV, movies, pictures... You will get all of the channels you are entitled to. But, you will lose on-demand, but can be repaced with FREE HULU, and you will have to call in for pay per view shows instead of ordering on screen.

Everything is controlled with a remote, and each TV is independant from the others, yet share unified recordings and library.
MemX likes this.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #3 of 4 Old 06-12-2013, 01:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Just rent a cable box.
post #4 of 4 Old 06-13-2013, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
If you go with one of those converters, you'll be stuck watching whatever is being watched at the source TV. That'll get real old real quick and you'll just kick yourself in the behind for wasting your money on that converter.

Just rent a cable box.

Plus, if something goes wrong with one of those converters, you're out a lot of cash. If a cable box fails, you just make a phone call.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page