Help splitting HDMI output to Coaxial Cable - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-14-2013, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I plan to buy a 60” Samsung and have already purchased a Yamaha RX-673 with 5 HDMI inputs & one HDMI output to drive it. The devices will be in a closet, and a single HDMI out will go to the TV. My challenge is to migrate my current setup to this new one. Currently I have a DirecTV sat with two outputs, HDMI & component. The HDMI goes to the current TV, whose switch controls all the inputs. The component (red, white, yellow) goes to a RF-Modulator, which converts the signal for coax cable. The coax goes to an amplified splitter which feeds five other TVs. (All those TV’s receive the same channel as the main TV) A Roku box’s composite output also goes to an RF-Modulator. The Roku’s HDMI output goes to the TV. Both the Roku’s & the sat box’s newly RF-modulated signals go to a manual A-B switch, so I can choose what device is sent to the “other” TVs. This is an obvious mess, which I want to eliminate with my new setup. I want all devices (Roku, Apple TV, DVD) to feed to the Yamaha, which will do the switching. But the Yamaha only has one HDMI out. So I want to use a splitter to create two outputs. One will go the new Samsung, the other output has to be converted to an RF signal to be sent to the coax and the other TV’s. One more “got you”. I thought I have heard that if you split a HDMI signal, the output defaults to the lowest resolution. I don’t understand if that will affect the setup or the DirecTV STB. In summary, here are my questions: 1) What is the best way to split the HDMI out from the Yamaha 673, 2) is there a device which also creates a composite, or better still an RF coaxial out , 3) Is there an impact from splitting the HDMI if one of the signals is downgraded to an RF feed on coaxial cable, 4) Is there a better way to do this? Thank you in advance for responding to this confusing post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-14-2013, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 67
OMG! I thought our set up with an HTPC and 5 extenders was complex. This is beyond complex!

What is the point of having all 6 TV's watching the same program?

None of your conversions produce HD signal. SD signal will look like excriment on a 60" Samsung. Might as well save the money and buy a no name brand.

Consider ditching Direct TV and getting an HTPC with a CableCard tuner, set up media center and media center extenders. This way, each TV can watch independantly from the other, in HD.

Much much simpler set up and operation.

Or just get a hopper or genie, which ever is which.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #3 of 4 Old 06-15-2013, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank You very much for the response, Blueiedgod. I am hardly surprised you found my setup weird, I'm confused by it as well. We live in a log cabin in Maine; 95% of the time it's only my wife and myself. We almost always watch the same channel. Two of the TV's are in a garage/carriage house with 100' run. I use the spaceship extender in the remotes to control DirecTV STB. For the new setup I have programed a RF URC since the devices will be in closet, and require RF. What is a HTPC, and how does that approach work? My goal is to retain the 1280P for the Samsung and not worry about the other TV's; can I do that if I split the HDMI signal? If can do that, then my setup will be easier. Thank you.
post #4 of 4 Old 06-17-2013, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peabodypond View Post

Thank You very much for the response, Blueiedgod. I am hardly surprised you found my setup weird, I'm confused by it as well. We live in a log cabin in Maine; 95% of the time it's only my wife and myself. We almost always watch the same channel. Two of the TV's are in a garage/carriage house with 100' run. I use the spaceship extender in the remotes to control DirecTV STB. For the new setup I have programed a RF URC since the devices will be in closet, and require RF. What is a HTPC, and how does that approach work? My goal is to retain the 1280P for the Samsung and not worry about the other TV's; can I do that if I split the HDMI signal? If can do that, then my setup will be easier. Thank you.

HTPC is Home Theater Personal Computer. But, it won't work in your situation if you can't get cable, or receive OTA signal, without complexity. You need to have internet connection to get Guide data updates, and DirectTV is outside of FCC control, so they use their own encryption, which is not universal.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page