AVS Forum banner

EAS test during recording rant.

446 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  blueiedgod 
#1 ·
I tried recording Robocop II last night, but a stupid test kicked my Comcast box off of on demand back to regular cable. I have two weather alert radios and don't want this. If some moron isn't up to date on the weather let them eat cake, or plywood, a two by four, toxic gas, etc. I have seen this at work with a tornado warning where everyone was listening to internet radio on their phones without a single terrestrial radio turned on. If you have no clue what broadcasting means, so be it. Don't kick off desired programming.

#2 ·
Wah! A member for 4 years now and this is your first post? The nerve of those people! Actually testing an alert system that could save your ass! Here's a link to the synopsis, so you can read what you missed: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100502/synopsis?ref_=tt_stry_pl ...Oh wait! It's 'On Demand'! Maybe one of your neighbors can record it for you...

#3 ·
EAS is required by law. If a tornado hits your home, you'd lose the recording anyway. And..... EAS is not just for weather emegencies. So...

Call Comcast (if there was charge). They will remimburse you and you can re-record.

If it was a "free" on-demand..... just re-record it.

You can rent Robocop II from Netflix and find a way to copy it.

You could probably find a copy at a yard sale for $.50.

It's a good movie, but not that good to compromise the welfare of the community.

You purchase the movie from Walmart for $10 ($13 for Bluray).

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman  /t/1482655/eas-test-during-recording-rant#post_23551642

EAS is required by law.

Not just local law or state law, but federal law, so good luck getting rid of it. The stations and providers are required to do weekly tests and report their logs back to DC.

EAS tests aren't going away anytime soon, so best to just deal with it.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa  /t/1482655/eas-test-during-recording-rant#post_23551652

EAS tests aren't going away anytime soon, so best to just deal with it.

Probably never going away. It's been in use for a few decades.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CONELRAD

I wouldn't be surprised that sometime in the near future, you can probably expect EAS tests/alerts on your cellphones and other "smart" devices too.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman  /t/1482655/eas-test-during-recording-rant#post_23554807

I wouldn't be surprised that sometime in the near future, you can probably expect EAS tests/alerts on your cellphones and other "smart" devices too.

Actually, that's happening now. I get those on occasion on my phone.

Haven't had one in awhile, though. Maybe the apocalypse ran out of steam.

#7 ·
Wouldn't have worked with On-Demand, but WMC passes EAS warnings over, without recording them. They just scroll on top of the live picture, but do not show up in recorded content.

And it won't kick you off a channel, either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.