Cutting cable - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-02-2013, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and looking for help to cut cable. My husband watches news in the morning getting ready for work and we would like to be able to watch local channels. We currently have comcast and the bill is getting four of hand.

Can anyone recommend an antenna for Youngwood, PA? We bought a mohu and hooked it up. It won't find any channels at all.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2013, 08:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
You should start by running a TV Fool report to see where your location lies in the signal paths. Put in your address here:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29

The graph that comes up with will tell you signal strengths. Anything in green would be fine with rabbit ears. Anything in yellow or red would need an attic or outdoor antenna, like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/AntennaCraft-HBU22-Series-Antenna-High-Band/dp/B0035A6AUG

I ran it on your town and zip, and it only showed a few channels in green, but I don't know your exact location. How's the terrain? If you have a lot of hills or trees, it'll affect the results (probably why your antenna you have didn't get anything.)

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
Old 09-03-2013, 08:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by megm5441 View Post

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and looking for help to cut cable. My husband watches news in the morning getting ready for work and we would like to be able to watch local channels. We currently have comcast and the bill is getting four of hand.

Can anyone recommend an antenna for Youngwood, PA? We bought a mohu and hooked it up. It won't find any channels at all.

Thanks!

Do you have internet and/or voice (telephone) service from Comcast? If you do not intend to cancel those services, you may want to consider "limited basic" service. That will provide locals only for a minimal monthly fee (or perhaps no fee at all if you subscribe to internet). NOTE: you will need to have a TV with a QAM (digital cable) tuner.

Just to make sure.... when you tried using the Mohu antenna, did you verify that prior to performing a channel search, you set the antenna input to "Antenna" (or Air) and not "Cable"?
Old 09-16-2013, 09:46 AM

Liked: 10
Ratman,
Quote:
(or perhaps no fee at all if you subscribe to internet).

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by the above statement?
Old 09-16-2013, 12:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Back when I was a subscriber to Comcast, they offered Internet with limited basic for less cost than Internet only.