Time Warner Cable - buying own converter box? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-20-2013, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I apologize ahead of time for how stupid and noobish this question must seem to y'all. Build a computer or a table, I'm your guy. But in the audio and video field, I am a complete moron.

I have time warner cable, and a TV with a digital cable converter box. I want to add another converter box to another TV. TWC charges $10 a month for "rental" of the cable converter box. I see them for sale on amazon(about the price of a year's rental), but I am told emphatically by a representitive that I cannot buy a converter box.

I don't know the ins and outs of the law, and of what control TWC has over allowing converter boxes to be used. I found this thread( http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-sat/thread.cgi?2376), specifically, this comment:
Quote:
I emailed TWC to asked about owning your own equipment, and this what they reply with:

"Thank you for your most recent message to Time Warner Cable of NYC.

You are correct that, under the Cable Act, "cable operators may not prevent
customers from using their own equipment if such equipment is technically compatible
with the cable system."

As you may be aware, under rules recently adopted by the FCC, cable operators are
required to provide separate security components to customers who purchase
compatible converters from third party retailers, to enable use of the converter.
While the separate security components are available from Time Warner Cable, it is
our understanding that compatible converters are not available at this time from
third-party retailers. Once these compatible converters have been made commercially
available at retail, if you elect to purchase one, we will be happy to provide you
with the necessary device."

If I bought a converter box and plugged it in, would it work right away, or would TIme Warner Cable block it in some way? Are there any other issues arising from this? Or is this a no no?

I am sorry if this has been asked before, and thank you for humoring me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-20-2013, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 779
You would likely need a security key/card of sorts unless you can get around their access requirements. Fairly typical of the cable/sat companies to not allow easy end runs around their fees....

post #3 of 9 Old 09-20-2013, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Don't waste your money buying cable boxes from eBay and such sources they won't work and you could be committing a felony by receiving stolen property.
TiVo or a HTPC with a cable card are what you are looking for cable card rental is usually about $2 to $5. The only drawback will be that you lose electronic guide and VOD services.
post #4 of 9 Old 09-20-2013, 09:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by pippin53 View Post

I have time warner cable, and a TV with a digital cable converter box. I want to add another converter box to another TV. TWC charges $10 a month for "rental" of the cable converter box. I see them for sale on amazon(about the price of a year's rental), but I am told emphatically by a representitive that I cannot buy a converter box.

They're correct, but they actually did you a favor. That box would be a $120 paperweight in no time.
Quote:

I don't know the ins and outs of the law, and of what control TWC has over allowing converter boxes to be used. I found this thread( http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-sat/thread.cgi?2376), specifically, this comment:

The only thing that law means is that cable companies that encrypt channels must make the encryption a "separable security", i.e., use cableCARD. That allows companies like TiVo and the PC tuner makers to exist, but those are about the only consumer owned equipment that can use the card.

The cable companies also use cableCARDs in newer cable boxes that they lease (older leased boxes with no card may be grandfathered in until they quit working. My dad has one of those, while my newer box has the card.) It does not mean that the makers of the boxes will sell them to the general public. Indeed, Motorola and Cisco have not moved into that market, probably because they don't see it as viable. The cable companies buy enough of them in bulk.

The problem with making a box that consumers can buy is that they have to be certified by Cable Labs (who make the cableCARDs), and that takes a lot of time and money. Cable boxes don't get certification because they don't need it. They're not for resale in the U.S., and stay within the cable company's system. No need for certification.

Samsung is making some waves with a supposed cableCARD box, but it's kind of vaporware at the moment, unless there have been further developments.
Quote:
If I bought a converter box and plugged it in, would it work right away, or would TIme Warner Cable block it in some way? Are there any other issues arising from this? Or is this a no no?

It would probably work a bit, but then when it got TWC's "hello" signal, it'd brick up and you'd have a doorstop. Not worth it. Since Motorola and Cisco don't sell them, then either they were purchased out of the U.S. market (most likely Canada, whose cable providers don't use cableCARD) or were never returned to the cable company (stolen most likely, though someone could pay the replacement fee.) TWC's policy is not to activate any box not in their system or anything not certified by Cable Labs to use the TWC cable cards, so you're throwing money away.

Since you're handy with PCs, building one (or just sticking a cableCARD tuner in one you already have) is probably the best route. Use a media extender to get the signal to the TVs (they can even use remotes and send a remote signal back to the PC to change the channel, set a recording, etc.)

As stated, you lose VOD and PPV, but you could use WMC's guide. TiVo also has its own guide.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #5 of 9 Old 09-20-2013, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 215
HTPCs have a free guide. As long as you use Media Center.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Just as big an idea thief as)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-23-2013, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollTide2011 View Post

Don't waste your money buying cable boxes from eBay and such sources they won't work and you could be committing a felony by receiving stolen property.
TiVo or a HTPC with a cable card are what you are looking for cable card rental is usually about $2 to $5. The only drawback will be that you lose electronic guide and VOD services.

The only thing you lose is the cable box rental fee and on-demand, which is easily replaced by HULU and Netflix integration.

TiVO is significantly costlier than HTPC route.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #7 of 9 Old 09-23-2013, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

Build a computer or a table, I'm your guy.

You answered your own question.

1) Build a computer with Windows 7 OS, or repurpose existing one with Windows 7 OS.
2) Buy a $15 rosewill Windows Media Center remote.
3) Open Windows Media Center (press the green button on the remote from 2), and run Digital Cable Advisor test. If you pass, you are golden. If not, fix what needs to be fixed.
4) Purchase a CableCard tuner, choices are vast, from single tuner ATI DCT, to hextuner Ceton. You can have internal, external USB, or external Ethernet.
5) Connect tuner, install drivers.
6) Get CableCard and if needed Tuning Adapter from the provider. Insert CableCard and connect Tuning Adapter.
7) Follow on screen prompts to enter your zip code, and provider. Call the number on the screen, or follow provider's CableCard activation process (should be provided with the CbaleCard)
8) Enjoy TV

Connect additional TV's using Media Center Extenders or XBOXes for free.

We have 6 TV's and 12 tuners, and only pay $5/month to rent a CableCard to get all the channels we are entitled to on any of the 6 TV's.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #8 of 9 Old 09-28-2013, 04:48 AM

Hi I'm new here. I have Time Warner Cable in NYC and was thinking the same thing you are until I discovered Roku has a Time Warner cable TV channel. As long as you have TWC account and have set up an online TWC account with user name and password, your in real easy. No guide or VOD, just the TV channels for the package you signed up with TWC for. Works great just like a box, no buffering or breakups at all. Tested this for a month and I just returned all my TWC boxes. I have the Roku3 wired into my home LAN and can access stored videos on PCs via PLEX application. TWC also has a web site TimeWarnerCableTV.com where you watch your TV channels plus it has TWC program guide and access to on demand programing. TWC does not charge for this other than the normal fees you would be paying, excluding the equipment fees.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-20-2014, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysi21 View Post

Hi I'm new here. I have Time Warner Cable in NYC and was thinking the same thing you are until I discovered Roku has a Time Warner cable TV channel. As long as you have TWC account and have set up an online TWC account with user name and password, your in real easy. No guide or VOD, just the TV channels for the package you signed up with TWC for. Works great just like a box, no buffering or breakups at all. Tested this for a month and I just returned all my TWC boxes. I have the Roku3 wired into my home LAN and can access stored videos on PCs via PLEX application. TWC also has a web site TimeWarnerCableTV.com where you watch your TV channels plus it has TWC program guide and access to on demand programing. TWC does not charge for this other than the normal fees you would be paying, excluding the equipment fees.

You can also do the same thing with an xbox (install the TWC cable app) as with the Roku. Problem is that you do not get all the channels as you would with a cable card or cable box. And Im not talking about the PPV or HBO. Not all channels provided in TWC digital tier show up. At least they dont on the xbox. Plus the interface on the xbox sucks.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page