Signal Strength too high? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-23-2013, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am having two issues with my Tivo Roamio.

1. The Tivo will not maintain a constant connection with my wireless router.

2. I am receiving a V53 (signal error) occasionally on some channels. This will go away after a period of time.

I called Tivo and they said that my Signal Strength of 100 is too high, and that is the cause of the V53 and possibly the Wifi error.. They said to call Charter and tell them my signal strength is too high and to have them fix it.

I am on hold with Charter now but the person I talked to seems very confused. Does anyone have any insight on this? Is Tivo's diagnosis of the problem seemingly accurate? I am not sure how the Wifi issue could be related to signal strength....

My Router is a Cisco E4200 V2

Thanks in advance

update: The person on the phone had no idea what I was talking about, but said she would send a tech out tomorrow to look at it... I have a feeling the tech isn't going to find anything wrong and I am going to get charged $45 for the service visit...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-24-2013, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Put a splittler on the coax. You have a choice of -3.5, -7, and -11.5 db splitters. See if singal reduction minimizes the signal error.

As to the wi-fi, put a wi-fi meter near TiVO to see what the signal is in that particular locaiton. If you don't have one, any laptop or a tablet with a wi-fi or even a wi-fi usb dongle plugged into a pc with a USB extention cord will work.

Sometimes just turning the antenna a bit may increase wi-fi signal.

See if moving either or both TiVO and router to different location alleviates the problem.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #3 of 4 Old 09-24-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132

I had router interference from wireless phone base and Straight Talk Home Phone (cellular) base. Troubleshooting the router led me to an article on changing the router's "channel." It suggested setting it manually to ch. 1, 6 or 11. I found it set to "auto" and changed it to ch 6 and, volia, no more problems and full-speed ops.

You might want to try similar manual channel setting on your router before the tech appears?

post #4 of 4 Old 09-24-2013, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the help guys
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page