If the Neighborhood's power is out, will the Cable still work? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-01-2013, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have Comcast Digital Cable and High Speed internet. I recently bought a 5-in-1 Power pack that has a 110V inverter with 2 outlets, and i was thinking what i can use it for, and i realized i can hook up my modem and router when the power is out, to have WiFi for my iPod touch. The only concern is, with no power in the area, will the cable still work? Because i know that every few poles is a cable amp, and without electricity, idk if my cable signal would still work. (Let's say it was from a problem with the power co. (Coax cables aren't down or anything)). Would the amps still work so I can hook my modem and router into my power pack and get Wifi?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-01-2013, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Most modern cable systems have an hour or two of battery back-up power.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-02-2013, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 71
It will depend on where the power outage is. If the power outage took the poles that also carry cable TV wires, then you won't get cable.

What is this 5 in 1 pack? Is that like a car booster kind?

Why not use a computer Back-UPS? A 500 VA Back-UPS will run a modem and a router for a few days. It is automatic, and providers surge protection as well as protection from under voltage, which no surge protector will.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #4 of 10 Old 10-02-2013, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought the power pack for other uses as well. I thought of internet after the fact.

As far as the cable, don't most Internet+phone modems have a backup battery? What good is it if the cable is dead?
post #5 of 10 Old 10-02-2013, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I have done that in the past. The whole town was out and I plugged my router in to my black and decker power pack and was online
post #6 of 10 Old 10-03-2013, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF15 View Post

I bought the power pack for other uses as well. I thought of internet after the fact.

As far as the cable, don't most Internet+phone modems have a backup battery? What good is it if the cable is dead?

Never seen a modem with a back up battery.

Verizon FiOS ONT has a backup battery, but it only powers up the phone line, not coax nor ethernet. But, plugging the ONT into a Back-UPS powers the whole thing, TV, Internet and phone.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #7 of 10 Old 10-03-2013, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 251
It all depends on the CATV system. Many systems have power stations along the poles or underground cables. These inject 60 volts into the cable which power the line gear. Some of those power units may have built in UPS units. Some are just simple transformers and will go off with the utility AC.

Back in the TV only days there wasn't much incentive to keep the cable hot during a power outage. But with most cable systems now carrying phone, it becomes more important.

As we know the good old phone system was always and still is independent from the utility power. It will work for many hours just on battery power if the utility dies and of course they have their own generators for long outages.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #8 of 10 Old 11-19-2013, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 133

I have my computer equipment on a UPS (a.k.a., backup battery power). Usually when we have a local outage, the cable modem doesn't see the cable.

A few years ago there was a power outage downtown but we had power here at the edge of town. Neither the cable modem nor the TV could get any signal.

There may have been some deployment of battery backups for the cable because of Comcast pushing telephone service, but I haven't been able to verify that in the last couple of years due to (thankfully) not having a power outage here except one planned outage for relocating the utilities down the block, and I had all my equipment disconnected and powered off during the time frame they warned us about.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-20-2013, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Never seen a modem with a back up battery.

They have devices called EMTA's (modem and phone) with battery backup however that only supports the phone portion of the device.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-21-2013, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post

I have my computer equipment on a UPS (a.k.a., backup battery power). Usually when we have a local outage, the cable modem doesn't see the cable.

A few years ago there was a power outage downtown but we had power here at the edge of town. Neither the cable modem nor the TV could get any signal.

There may have been some deployment of battery backups for the cable because of Comcast pushing telephone service, but I haven't been able to verify that in the last couple of years due to (thankfully) not having a power outage here except one planned outage for relocating the utilities down the block, and I had all my equipment disconnected and powered off during the time frame they warned us about.

You could have had a local amplifier in your house, or near your house installed to boost signal that was not on back up power.

Often times drop amps are installed by the Cable company at the residence, or at the distribution box right outside of the residence.

See if you have one, put it on UPS, and you will have cable when power is out.

Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page