Problem With Cable Signal - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-01-2013, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi everybody,

My grandfather lives in an apartment building in New York City which provides him with cable (Time Warner Cable). For a long time, he was using an analog Sharp TV with a cable connecting directly from the wall to the TV. However, TWC recently made the switch from analog to digital and his TV was displaying a message saying that he needed a digital TV or converter in order to view the cable channels. I gave him my five year old TV (SONY Bravia KDL-32XBR6) which used to be hooked up the same way (cable directly to the wall and TV) and worked fine. AFAIK, the SONY TV has a built-in digital tuner. However, after putting in the SONY TV, I ran auto program which at first said it found 2 to 13 channels. However, the progress bar never finished because it would display a blank screen or screen with stripes shortly after it found 13 channels.

Even thought it said it found 13 channels, after he blank/striped screen, it would leave me only with 3 channels: 18.1, 18.2. and 23.3. The TV displayed 18.1 and 18.2 fine but when I got to 23.3, a message popped up saying "Signal cannot be decoded." I'm not quite sure what that means. None of the free local channels (2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13) worked. They all said that there was no signal.

I recently purchased Mohu Leaf Paper-Thin Indoor HDTV Antenna for use in my own place but will be bringing it over in the near future to test the TV at my grandfather's place. Could it possibly be a problem with the physical cable or a problem on Time Warner Cable's end?

If anybody has any suggestions or could point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it. Thank you in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-01-2013, 07:51 PM

Liked: 12
Locals encrypted by TWC?
post #3 of 8 Old 11-01-2013, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gring40 View Post

Locals encrypted by TWC?

What do you mean by that sir? AFAIK the local channels showed up without any problems on his old TV before they changed to digital signals. Also, if the channels were encrypted, wouldn't there still at least be a signal of some sort rather than it just showing static and saying "No signal"?

post #4 of 8 Old 11-02-2013, 08:46 AM

Liked: 12
See posts about this topic under "Are all your QAM channels scrambled?". The FCC gave the cable channels permission to scramble the local channels, and this is now sweeping the country; mine went dark last month, after a month's notice.

No idea as to how your Sony would display this. Suggest you keep trying to do the Auto scan (or an add-on channel scan) until it completes successfully. Of course, they'll tell you if you ask TWC, and also they are obliged to provide you with a STB of some flavor if they have encrypted.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-02-2013, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gring40 View Post

See posts about this topic under "Are all your QAM channels scrambled?". The FCC gave the cable channels permission to scramble the local channels, and this is now sweeping the country; mine went dark last month, after a month's notice.

No idea as to how your Sony would display this. Suggest you keep trying to do the Auto scan (or an add-on channel scan) until it completes successfully. Of course, they'll tell you if you ask TWC, and also they are obliged to provide you with a STB of some flavor if they have encrypted.

Ah okay, I did not know about the whole scrambling thing. Thanks.

I repeated the auto program and even the add-on digital channel scans altogether 10+ times and each time was the same result: does not successfully complete due to the blank/striped screen. I will give TWC a call and see what they say.

post #6 of 8 Old 11-02-2013, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by pillowblanket View Post

Ah okay, I did not know about the whole scrambling thing. Thanks.

I repeated the auto program and even the add-on digital channel scans altogether 10+ times and each time was the same result: does not successfully complete due to the blank/striped screen. I will give TWC a call and see what they say.
Something else to try - can you manually add channels, one at a time?
If so, then try to determine which one locks up the scan and start adding after that point. Locally, channel 37 would freeze some of my tuners. (MyHD MDP-130 and a RCA DVR/VCR recorder) I would have to unplug the device, disconnect the cable, power up, manually remove the offending channel from the lineup, then reconnect the cable.

If not, then you could try disconnecting the coax before the scan gets to the trouble point and reconnecting after it passes. Obviously you'll miss some channels but you might get something.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #7 of 8 Old 11-04-2013, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
If you haven't heard from TW yet it is more then likely he will need a Cable box or DTA to watch anything.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-05-2013, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Some sets, when powered down for a while (like, when you move them to a new location) may reset themselves to a weird mode.
Check to see if the setup parameters have changed....it should be in "CATV", or "CATV-D" mode, to receive any QAM channels above channel 13.
That number "13" on the screen is likely the total number of channels it found, though, not the actual RF channel number.

Some sets may also not scan properly on RF channels above 100, so you may want to manually enter them (100.1, 101.1, 102.1, ....) to see if there are any signals up there.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page