No audio from Comcast DCX 3400 RF Out? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-25-2013, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Comcast DCX 3400 DVR box on my first floor that I have connected to an HDTV with HDMI. Everything works fine.

What I want to do is be able to watch the same program the HDTV is watching (even DVR'ed shows) in my 2nd floor bedroom. That room only has a standard cable RG6 drop into it and no real way to fish any other lines in. My idea was to use the RF Out port of the cable box to run down to my switchboard of cable drops and back up to the bedroom. Sure it won't be HD or anything, but I'm fine with that.

So I tried a test setup in the room with the cable box and plugged the RF Out into another TV. The picture looked pretty good - actually better than I expected. But there was no audio at all. I made sure the volume was up on the TV and searched everywhere in the DCX 3400 menus (including the power-off menu) to see if there was some muting somewhere, but I couldn't find anything.

I then tried it on another TV with the same result. No sound.

I tried removing the HDMI output of the cable box and the coax digital audio out, so that the only things hooked to the cable box are the power, the RF In and the RF Out. Still no luck.

I tested the Component Out of the cable box and that worked perfectly. Beautiful HD and full sound. Unfortunately, as I said, I really need the RF Out to work to get it to my bedroom.

It seems like I'm missing something simple. Any ideas what it could be?

I also have a Cat5e drop at both locations. I know there are some solutions out there run run A/V over Cat5e, but none have sounded all that reliable and are in general expensive. If I could hack something like Composite onto those lines (by wiring the cables out the RCA plugs), I might consider doing that as well. But I'm not sure if that would work or not. Any advice there would be appreciated as well.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-25-2013, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 229
TV or cable box set for SAP?
tjfritter likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Just as big an idea thief as)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-25-2013, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

I don't think so. I have never changed any settings for SAP and I doubt they would be default, especially on both TVs. Also, with the TV directly plugged into the wall and after scanning for what few channels Comcast allows through, I was receiving normal audio on those channels.

I don't remember seeing any SAP options turn on for the cable box either. I would also think the SAP out come out via the HDMI and Component connections as well? Not completely sure.

Thanks for the idea.
post #4 of 11 Old 11-25-2013, 10:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Audio via the RF (coax in/out) should work no matter what. Especially if video works. Something is being overlooked in the cable box somewhere since the symptom occurs on two TV's.
tjfritter likes this.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-25-2013, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

I agree that the problem is more than likely with the cable box. It really confuses me that it doesn't "just work." I just can't figure out what it could be that's not allowing the audio through.
post #6 of 11 Old 11-25-2013, 12:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Here's my take:
1) reset the cable box to defaults (soft or factory reset).
2) call Comcast and tell them that you don't get audio via coax/RF.

They will either help figure it out or just replace the box.

Either way... it should "just work" as you envision.
tjfritter likes this.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-26-2013, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter

I had previously pulled the power on the cable box and plugged it back in to basically reset it, but that didn't help. And I was concerned about calling Comcast tech support because I was pretty sure that was going to be a lot of frustration that just ended with replacing the box, and I still had a lot of programs DVR'ed that I preferred not to lose.

But...

I had previously mostly looked at the power-down menus on the cable box because I didn't think the Cable Guide menus had much in terms of audio setup. So I looked around at the Cable Guide menus and found an area concerning audio setup. None of the settings really made sense for this problem, but I tried switching them all around anyway. No luck. Then there was an Optimize button and I decided just to click it, and just like that, I had audio! It doesn't really make sense to me WHY that worked, but I'm not complaining!

Everything is "just working" as expected now!

Thanks for all your help. It at least confirmed for me enough that the problem was in the box and made me do more searching to find the something to muck with that made the difference.
post #8 of 11 Old 11-26-2013, 06:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Glad you found a way to make it "just work". Good job with your persistence! biggrin.gif

I searched around and couldn't find anything related to the DCX3400 and an "optimize" selection. I'm curious about the intended function.
post #9 of 11 Old 11-26-2013, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I don't really know what was up with the Optimize either. Although I have a feeling it's not a DCX3400 specific thing, since it was just in the Comcast/Xfinity guide menus. So it's probably more of a software optimization of the audio that might be available across all of their boxes.
post #10 of 11 Old 11-27-2013, 04:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

I searched around and couldn't find anything related to the DCX3400 and an "optimize" selection. I'm curious about the intended function.

I have a DCX3400-M and I have the “optimize” option in the audio set up menu. The purpose of that function is to reset the analog "variable" audio out jacks to the proper “fixed” level. I guess it affects the RF out volume as well. The thread starter must of had the volume turned all the way down on the 3400’s remote.
tjfritter likes this.
post #11 of 11 Old 11-27-2013, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter

If I did have the volume turned down via the remote, it happened a long long time ago. I use a Harmony remote so I've never really used the Comcast remote that I remember. And I've always adjusted the volume via my stereo (digital coax output from cable box).

I might have to play with the cable box remote just to see if I can affect the volume of the RF Out.

Thanks for the extra info!
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page