Coaxial to Hdmi - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 04-11-2014, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, I've looked everywhere and I can't seems to find a viable option for coaxial to hdmi, but I know it's possible.

I have a unique setup. I have a small dta cable box with coaxial out, and an Xbox one that only accepts hdmi. I've tested the system and confirmed the Xbox one IR blaster works with my cable box. I also have already contacted my cable company about getting an hdmi out dta box. They want me to upgrade my service, charge me more, I'm not going that route.

So I very specifically need a coaxial in to hdmi video out converter. I've found all sorts of devices that claim something like that. But they all mention audio, which makes me nervous since I can't find anything under 50 dollars.

Am I screwed? Does a converter for my need even exist?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-11-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 253
It's called a 'tuner'. Easier solution is get a STB that has HDMI out. Comcast? They have a DTA with HDMI.
post #3 of 19 Old 04-11-2014, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah comcast, they want to charge me an extra 10 dollars a month for Hd, they don't offer SD DTAs with hdmi out. Plus I share this cable so it's not just my call.

What's an STB? I found several devices that claimed to work as digital tuners for hd antennas but I was worried they would try to tune my already tuned coaxial signal.
post #4 of 19 Old 04-11-2014, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 71
The $10 fee is for HD TV service.

Coax output out of your DTA is analog, and probably broadcast on channel 3 or 4.

HDMI is digital. If you were to buy a device that converts coax into HDMI, picture quality will be crap.

How much was the XBOX ONE? Pay the $10 for the HD service.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #5 of 19 Old 04-11-2014, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

But a device like that does exist? I don't want or need hd cable. But I would like to get my new toy working to its full ability if possible.
post #6 of 19 Old 04-11-2014, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kordiak View Post

I have a small dta cable box with coaxial out ...

Is coax the only output from the cable box?

If there is an AV output (composite video, right audio, left audio, typically yellow, red, white RCA connectors), there are various AV-to-HDMI converters available on Amazon.com and bestbuy.com and presumably many other places, too. (They have their place in connecting legacy DVD and VCR equipment with AV output ports to a TV with only HDMI input ports.)

However, if you have just coax output from the cable box, it becomes more tricky because then you would need what is essentially an NTSC (analog) tuner with HDMI output (which I am having no success finding), or an NTSC tuner to composite video (such as an old VCR that you could tune to channel 3 or 4, often available at thrift stores and even broken ones may work since you don't care if the belts had deteriorated so cannot handle VHS tapes any more, but I did find a tuner/demodulator on Amazon.com at a hefty price) going into an AV-to-HDMI converter. So the net result would be:

== Comcast COAX ==> [Comcast DTA] == COAX ==> [old VCR] == AV cables ==> [AV-to-HDMI converter] -- HDMI --> [Xbox]

That's starting to look like a Rube Goldberg solution. That is why blueiedgod suggested a more streamline solution:

== Comcast COAX ==> [Comcast HD DTA] -- HDMI --> [Xbox]

With fewer boxes, there is less to debug if something doesn't work.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #7 of 19 Old 04-11-2014, 02:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Why does the DTA (or cable channels) need to passthrough the XBox?
post #8 of 19 Old 04-11-2014, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What's an STB?

STB means Set-Top Box, a rather generic term that could be anything from the DTA you have to a HD DVR to a Roku 3.

Quote:

I found several devices that claimed to work as digital tuners for hd antennas but I was worried they would try to tune my already tuned coaxial signal.

They shouldn't since the QAM signal (quite possibly scrambled QAM) going into the DTA will feed a QAM tuner in the DTA, that tuner will select a specific channel to receive, and that resulting clear signal goes to an RF modulator that produces the NTSC (analog) signal on the "RF output" of the DTA. So there should be no (or very little) leakage of the Comcast signals to the output of the DTA.

However, those "digital converter" boxes designed to be digital tuners for antennas have an ATSC (digital broadcast TV) tuner and very few such boxes had an NTSC (analog broadcast TV) tuner, and even fewer had HDMI output. None of them, as far as I recall, had QAM (digital cable) tuners so (if my recollection is right) none of them could replace the DTA.

Now i do recall in the early days of HDTV, at one point HDTVs were sold as "HD-ready", meaning the display could handle HD (720p, 1080i, or 1080p), but did not have a "HD tuner" built in, and the expectation was that at a later date one would be able to purchase a HD tuner (an ATSC tuner) so the TV could display over-the-air HD stations in HD. Since at that time I wasn't interested in HDTV (the prices then were way too high for my budget), I didn't keep track of what form those tuners finally arrived in.

Wasn't it much simpler back in the days when the only thing we had to worry about was selecting between channels 2 and 13? And, oh yes, when the TV didn't work, feeling the tubes and taking them to the store to test them?

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #9 of 19 Old 04-11-2014, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Wow thank you for the knowledge bomb! So since my DTA outputs analog I need to specifically be looking for a coaxial in NTSC in tuner which supports hdmi out (theoretically, if one even exists). If I do happen to find an hd tuner that supports that I could kill two birds with one stone since I may be dumping the car for a hd antenna in a few years.
post #10 of 19 Old 04-11-2014, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Wow thank you for the knowledge bomb! So since my DTA outputs analog I need to specifically be looking for a coaxial in NTSC in tuner which supports hdmi out (theoretically, if one even exists). If I do happen to find an hd tuner that supports that I could kill two birds with one stone since I may be dumping the car for a hd antenna in a few years.

Yes. If you find a HD Tuner that has both ATSC (digital/HD) and NTSC (analog) tuners and sends the demodulated result on a HDMI cable, that should fit the bill for both the DTA output (NTSC) today and the antenna (ATSC) in the future.

If you don't mind, could you enlighten me a bit? I thought the Xbox was a game console and it needed a TV for display purposes. If so, why would the DTA have to have a signal going into the Xbox instead of to the TV?

My very humble setup:
post #11 of 19 Old 04-11-2014, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

What you need is this
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-GX-SM530CF-Streaming-Player-Built-In/dp/B00EYO241Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397269762&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+cable+box

You will rent a CableCARD from your provider, and insert it into the box, then connect HDMI out of the box to the XBOX ONE.

Another option, a better option

1) scrap the XBOX ONE.
2) Get this http://www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-HDHomeRun-CableCard-3-Tuner-HDHR3-CC/dp/B004HKIB6E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397269874&sr=8-1&keywords=silicondust
3) Set up Windows Media Center on a Windows 7 PC in the house. (Free with every copy of Windows 7)
4) Get XBOX 360 and use it to tune all the Cable channels.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #12 of 19 Old 04-12-2014, 09:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

1) scrap the XBOX ONE.

4) Get XBOX 360 and use it to tune all the Cable channels.

Did Microsoft disable streaming/channel changing functionality in the Xbox One? Otherwise, why bother with the 360 when you have the successor already hooked up and ready to go?

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #13 of 19 Old 04-12-2014, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

Did Microsoft disable streaming/channel changing functionality in the Xbox One? Otherwise, why bother with the 360 when you have the successor already hooked up and ready to go?

XBOX ONE does not have extender functionality.

post #14 of 19 Old 04-18-2014, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Get an HD cable box. The XBOX ONE is an HD device. You could theoretically manage to feed SD video through it, but that's just stupid.
post #15 of 19 Old 07-10-2014, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm having a very similar problem. My cable is basic unscrambled CATV and goes right out of the wall into the tv via F-type coaxial. I have no way of converting this to hdmi or even analog component to go into Xbox One or displays without a tuner. Also, my cable company does not provide cable cards so the samsung set top box is out of the question. Any suggestions?

WS

PS- I'm new and not sure if it's a forum faux pas to post elaborations on an issue. Sorry if I offended anyone!
post #16 of 19 Old 07-11-2014, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillSheehan View Post
I'm having a very similar problem. My cable is basic unscrambled CATV and goes right out of the wall into the tv via F-type coaxial. I have no way of converting this to hdmi or even analog component to go into Xbox One or displays without a tuner. Also, my cable company does not provide cable cards so the samsung set top box is out of the question. Any suggestions?

WS

PS- I'm new and not sure if it's a forum faux pas to post elaborations on an issue. Sorry if I offended anyone!
You have to have a tuner of some sort. If you are in the US, your cable provider has to provide a CableCard. If you're not in the US, then CableCards don't really exist. Sounds like you need a box from your provider. Or just use the TV for TV, and the XBOX for XBOX.
post #17 of 19 Old 07-11-2014, 04:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
Quote:
Also, my cable company does not provide cable cards so the samsung set top box is out of the question. Any suggestions?
As BiggAW said, cableCARDs are required by federal mandate in the US. Cablecos have to provide "separable security" if they encrypt, and cableCARD is the only way to do it right now. If they're not providing one, the FCC might be VERY interested to hear it. Did you just talk to one guy who told you that? He probably did it to get you off the phone or didn't know better. Call back and demand one.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #18 of 19 Old 07-12-2014, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I found this tuner product which will hopefully work for me.

http://www.epvision.com/HDTVSTB/phd208main.htm

Found 1 left on amazon for $99 but it's available on their website for $129. It has an HDMI output so it should solve your problem too, OP.
post #19 of 19 Old 07-14-2014, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I found this tuner product which will hopefully work for me.

http://www.epvision.com/HDTVSTB/phd208main.htm

Found 1 left on amazon for $99 but it's available on their website for $129. It has an HDMI output so it should solve your problem too, OP.
ClearQAM and NTSC are dead standards. They are being phased out. You may end up with a $99 toy that will work for 3-4 months, and then be useless.

Luckily, the box you linked also has ATSC tuner, so you will be able to set up an antenna and watch FREE Over The Air TV when your CableTV feed is cut off.

Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page