Amplifier or Filter - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-09-2014, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello,

I work in a environment where I need to use a filter or amplifier on the incoming cable signal outside the building that will not allow a return signal on the coax line. I will be bringing the cable into a locked metal box on the outside of the building and install this filter or amplifier then run the rest of the cable to the TV located inside the building. Does anyone know of a band pass filter or amplifier that I can buy that is truly one way and will not allow a return signal.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-09-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Have you checked with the cable provider? They probably can address the technical issue(s).

Maybe if you provide more info about your environment and the reason(s) you want/need the return signal blocked, someone may be able to address the question properly.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-09-2014, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I work in a high security environment and it is a requirement if I am to bring cable TV in I must block the return path.

This will just be coax cable connected to a TV with no cable box. I have talked to the cable provider and they don't have

or sale any such filter or amplifier.

post #4 of 7 Old 06-09-2014, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 233
At one time they were even harder to come by because they could be used to keep a stolen cable box alive by blocking the return communication in the 6 to 13MHz band. More common are filters that pass 5-13MHz and block 15-45MHz. Two bucks and change: http://www.pctstore.com/High_pass_filter_PCTHPF50NNH_p/pcthpf50nnh.htm cool.gif

EDIT: Odds are you'll need a set top box too as most cable systems are ridding themselves of Analog and Clear QAM. mad.gif
post #5 of 7 Old 06-10-2014, 05:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Either way... what (or why) is considered a "security risk" to your environment with a cable provider's return path? Just curious.
If I worked in your security department, I'd be more concerned about what was coming IN as opposed to worry about what's going OUT (TV only... not internet, that's understandable). smile.gif
post #6 of 7 Old 06-13-2014, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 128
How about having the cable box in the locked metal box, then bringing component cables + stereo sound into the secured building? As far as I am aware, component video and stereo sound are strictly one-way ports. HDMI, on the other hand, does some communications back to the source device, though I doubt it would communicate back much more than the HDCP handshake and whether the display device is on.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-15-2014, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I don't understand the reason if you are only using a TV no STB?

You could use a di-plex filter feed the TV with the high side.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page