1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ratman

post #1 of 13 Old 07-10-2014, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Charter digital cable box at a dfferent house

When I purchased my home, I plugged in my TV in anticipation of getting cable only to find that the cable at this location had never been shut off. Since then I have been able to get basic cable, channels 2-70, on my TVs free of cost. I have since upgraded my living room to include a projector which does not have a tuner built in. I am having a very hard time figuring out how to get the cable signal to my projector. My mom has offered to ask charter for an additional box for her house and give it to me if I pay the monthly fee for the box. My question is, would this work or are the boxed able to tell that they are not in the correct geographical location? We live in the same town. Also, does this put her at any risk? I wouldn't want to do it if there was any way she could get in to legal trouble. If anyone knows another way to do this, I would be happy to hear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-10-2014, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Cable Theft is a crime so yes your mother would be an accessory to that criminal act if she provides you with a cable box if she reads the terms of service on her account she will see this. Charter is in the process of going all digital at that time all analog channels will go away and all digital channels will be encrypted. At that same time then modem in the boxes is being activated this will show location of the converter. Charter has also hired people in an investigator position and is actively prosecuting cases of cable theft.
post #3 of 13 Old 07-10-2014, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollTide2011 View Post
Cable Theft is a crime so yes your mother would be an accessory to that criminal act if she provides you with a cable box if she reads the terms of service on her account she will see this. Charter is in the process of going all digital at that time all analog channels will go away and all digital channels will be encrypted. At that same time then modem in the boxes is being activated this will show location of the converter. Charter has also hired people in an investigator position and is actively prosecuting cases of cable theft.
Thanks to smarmy little cable thieves....I miss Clear Qam...
post #4 of 13 Old 07-11-2014, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

I get that it would be against her TOS. But I don't see how it is cable theft if they never turned it off here. How could I be liable for something they did? There was a chest in the basement when I bought the house 3 years ago that the previous owners left behind. I have since began using the chest. If they came back to sue me over it, the case would be thrown out in court since they abandoned it here. How is this not the same?

What about the cable boxes I see on ebay that require a cablecard? If i get one of them, but don't put a cable card in it, could I still get the basic channels or is it all or nothing with these boxes?
post #5 of 13 Old 07-11-2014, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by jebusfreek666 View Post
I get that it would be against her TOS. But I don't see how it is cable theft if they never turned it off here. How could I be liable for something they did? There was a chest in the basement when I bought the house 3 years ago that the previous owners left behind. I have since began using the chest. If they came back to sue me over it, the case would be thrown out in court since they abandoned it here. How is this not the same?

What about the cable boxes I see on ebay that require a cablecard? If i get one of them, but don't put a cable card in it, could I still get the basic channels or is it all or nothing with these boxes?
Did they connect it to your TV? (I doubt it)... By connecting it YOU are the one committing a crime.
post #6 of 13 Old 07-11-2014, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

I plugged it into the wall. They didn't cut the signal. Its not like I popped open the box outside and turned it on. I just plugged my tv in.
post #7 of 13 Old 07-11-2014, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
I plugged it into the wall. They didn't cut the signal. Its not like I popped open the box outside and turned it on. I just plugged my tv in.
So, if someone leaves their car running while they run into the store, do you take it too?

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #8 of 13 Old 07-11-2014, 12:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Do whatever you like.
But, you should do what's "right".

It's your choice. But, just be aware that there's always the possibility they will catch up with you. Especially with a digital cable box.

OTOH....
If someone leaves their car running to run into a store, they deserve to have their car stolen.
RollTide2011 likes this.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-11-2014, 03:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Two issues. The cable theft one has been addressed, but you should look up "passive theft."

The second one might make the first moot:

Quote:
My mom has offered to ask charter for an additional box for her house and give it to me if I pay the monthly fee for the box. My question is, would this work or are the boxed able to tell that they are not in the correct geographical location? We live in the same town.
It would depend on how close her place is. Cable boxes can be bricked by the cable company if the box returns a signal that isn't on the proper node. So unless she's on the same node (generally a node covers a neighborhood, but only the cableco will know where that begins and ends), it won't likely work.

If you're going to pay the monthly fee anyway, just ante up for your own basic service, get a box properly, and go. Or look into other options, like Internet streaming. Playing games with the cableco is rarely productive anymore.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #10 of 13 Old 07-11-2014, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
There are many old threads on this topic.

Bottom line no one, not one person in America has ever been convicted of theft if they simply hooked up the coax cable from the wall to the TV. I asked at this forum to prove otherwise and am still waiting.

Now if you climb up a pole or break into a box on the side of your house – you may very well be charged and convicted for theft of service. Using a box that is authorized for another location/account may also get you in trouble.

But simply hooking up the coax cable from the wall to the TV in your own home will not get you convicted of anything…

If the 2 to 70 channels are analog simply hook the coax to a VCR and the VCR output to the projector.

If they are clear QAM buy an external QAM tuner hook the coax to the tuner and the tuner output to the projector.

Most likely your cable co will encrypt QAM and perhaps shut off analog remember-
- simply hooking up the coax cable from the wall to the TV, VCR or external tuner in your own home will not get you convicted of anything…

Last edited by Super Eye; 07-11-2014 at 06:38 PM.
post #11 of 13 Old 07-11-2014, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Eye View Post
There are many old threads on this topic.

If the 2 to 70 channels are analog simply hook the coax to a VCR and the VCR output to the projector.

If they are clear QAM buy an external QAM tuner hook the coax to the tuner and the tuner output to the projector.
Thank you, this is pretty much what I have decided to do. There are just a couple QAM channels available, but i want them for football season. Do you know if there is any device I can buy that will do both analog (like the VCR) and QAM, and also output the signal through HDMI? I would like to only have to run one cable to my receiver and not have to program my remote to turn on a different "tuner" depending on what I feel like watching at the moment. Are there any TVs with HDMI output, that I could use as a cable box and output both analog and QAM channels via HDMI?

Last edited by jebusfreek666; 07-11-2014 at 09:12 PM.
post #12 of 13 Old 07-12-2014, 12:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Do you know if there is any device I can buy that will do both analog (like the VCR) and QAM, and also output the signal through HDMI? I would like to only have to run one cable to my receiver and not have to program my remote to turn on a different "tuner" depending on what I feel like watching at the moment.
A DVD recorder, though it will be in standard def. If you find one you like, buy it quick, as they are going the way of the dodo. Magnavox may still make their hard drive equipped recorder (that will double as a quick and dirty DVR) that is decent quality. The rest on the market are cheap and flimsy. It's a dying tech.

I don't recall any standalone analog/QAM tuners on the market. If there were, it's been a long time.

Quote:
Are there any TVs with HDMI output, that I could use as a cable box and output both analog and QAM channels via HDMI?
Nope.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #13 of 13 Old 07-12-2014, 04:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Thank you, this is pretty much what I have decided to do. There are just a couple QAM channels available, but i want them for football season. Do you know if there is any device I can buy that will do both analog (like the VCR) and QAM, and also output the signal through HDMI? I would like to only have to run one cable to my receiver and not have to program my remote to turn on a different "tuner" depending on what I feel like watching at the moment. Are there any TVs with HDMI output, that I could use as a cable box and output both analog and QAM channels via HDMI?
I’m not aware of any stand alone analog/digital tuner but for clear QAM including HD with HDMI out you should check out this thread.
I think it’s around $60 and will record to memory/hard drive to boot. Lot’s of info from actual owners in that thread. For analog I recommend a VCR with a cable ready analog tuner $15 on craiglist.

Before spending any money be aware that your cable company may encrypt QAM and shut off analog soon.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page