Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-10-2014, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
F-type CATV to RCA or Component

Hello,

I have a Vizio display from 2006 (P50HDM) that does not contain a tuner. My cable company does not provide cable boxes and all I have is an F-type coaxial jack. I know a VCR will accomplish a CATV to RCA conversion but is there a product that will do this simpler? VCRs are hard to come by and surprisingly expensive online. I have found products that may work, but they are either out of stock or I am unsure if they will work properly. I have tried a digital converter but this does not help me because that still requires an RF input on the TV.

Thanks for your help,

WS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-11-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 71
If your CableTV provider offers Analog TV, then VCR will work. I am not aware of any HDTV Capable VCRs.

I am sure you can find a VCR at a garage sale, even if the playback function is not working, you only need it for the tuner part.

If you think going VCR route is complex, then any other solution will be a lot more complex.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #3 of 6 Old 07-11-2014, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 92
A used Tivo w/lifetime subscription will work and look a heck of a lot better than a VCR. Series 2 models w/lifetime can be bought for $50 or less with Series 3 models going for around $200 and Premieres around $300.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-11-2014, 01:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 312
1) all cable companies provide a "cable box" for a rental fee.
2) a VCR may work as long as your cable provider still sends "analog". If they do, it won't last long. So don't buy a VCR.
3) 99% sure... if you want your cable channels that you desire, you must "subscribe" firstly. Secondly, most all (every?) cableco is converting to digital and encrypting everything. No more "free rides".

So... subscribe and rent a box with the appropriate outputs to connect to your TV or purchase a standalone tuner that supports "cablecard". (check with your cable provider prior to purchase).

Also... if you find a "deal" for a TiVO with a lifetime subscription, be careful/sure that the sub can be transferred. The subscription fee(s) for TiVO can be substantial for those that are looking for an inexpensive solution to avoid cableco fees.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-12-2014, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I found this tuner which will hopefully work for me.

http://www.epvision.com/HDTVSTB/phd208main.htm
post #6 of 6 Old 07-12-2014, 01:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Analog and clear QAM cable is being phased out nationwide. If your cable is still unencrypted, it probably won't be much longer. I personally wouldn't waste money on a non cable card tuner.

If you still want a cheap QAM tuner, check out the $35 iView.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

Tags
catv , f-type , no rf , Rca

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page