Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-21-2014, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 240
FIOS coax network issues

I have a FIOS system with 2 DVRs and 1 regular HD box. I started having issues a few weeks back where I was getting network connectivity issues with the FIOS TV. The ethernet for the computers works fine. The symptoms are sometimes the guide doesn't work. Caller ID on the TV doesn't work. When I go to On demand I get an error about network connectivity. I can only see 1 DVR where before I could see both. Whenever the set top box reboots, everything works fine for a while then the problem returns. I've called their tech support and it's a waste of time. They reboot everything and the problem goes away and the problem returns a few hours later. One tech told me the MOCA network had a weak connection.

The signal gets split at the ont with a normal splitter. One line goes to the attic for the upstairs. One goes to the basement for the rest of the house.

I have an amplifier
http://www.amazon.com/Bi-Directional...plifier&dpPl=1
that I use in the basement. The router is in the basement and is connected to the amplifier.

And another in the attic
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Amplif...xial+amplifier

The TV viewing works fine. It's just the coaxial network that's having issues. Like I said, the problem started a few weeks ago so something must have changed.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-22-2014, 05:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Try removing the amplifiers. Too much signal can cause as many problems as too little signal.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-22-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Have you checked your cable modem diagnostics screen?
What type of STB's do you have?
post #4 of 10 Old 07-22-2014, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Your amplifiers are stripping out the MOCA signal. That's the signal that provides the guide and info, streaming, etc. You need to remove them. They do not work in a MOCA system.

Why do you have two amplifiers? Do you have a dozen connections? Do you have monster lengths of coax feeding your outlets? If you absolutely have to have an amplifier, you need to get one like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Perfor...oca+bypass+amp

Or go on Ebay and get a PCT brand MOCA bypass amplifier.

MOCA is sensitive to bad connectors, bad cable and loose connectors. If you still have problems after you remove the amps, it could be a craft issue with your wiring rather than low signal.

FiOS will operate on very low signal. If you have a solid picture with no blocking, tiling, dropping, your signal is good. More signal is not going to make it any better. In fact, too much signal can create some of the same problems.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-23-2014, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtyrie View Post
Your amplifiers are stripping out the MOCA signal. That's the signal that provides the guide and info, streaming, etc. You need to remove them. They do not work in a MOCA system.

Based on my research. I think you're right.

Quote:
Why do you have two amplifiers? Do you have a dozen connections? Do you have monster lengths of coax feeding your outlets?

I have 8 connections. 4 upstairs in each bedroom. I have one amp in the attic and 4 in the downstairs and basement and I have an amp in the basement. I use amps because otherwise the signal is too weak. The amps solved a problem we had years ago and now they've created a new one. Everything was working fine for 2 or so years, then last month we started to have issues. My guess is Verizon changed something.

Quote:
If you absolutely have to have an amplifier, you need to get one like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Perfor...oca+bypass+amp

Is that an amp or a splitter? I have some splitters that go up to 2400.

I think I'll try to use splitters and if I have a weak signal i'll see if Verizon can boost the voltage. If that doesn't work, I'll look into using diplexers.

Thanks for the response
post #6 of 10 Old 07-23-2014, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 71
If you only have 2 DVR's and 1 HD STB (3 total devices) why do you have 8 splits?

Connect only the lines you are using, and cap off the ones you don't.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #7 of 10 Old 07-23-2014, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
You are absolutely right about that only being a splitter. My apologies. It was late.

Here is an example on Ebay of a MOCA bypass amp. Ebay doesn't have PCT right now but PDI is fine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PDI-MOCA-BYP...item1e871b0de4

There are also some Legrand brand amps listed. I don't really know anything about them....

Again, sorry for misleading you.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-23-2014, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post
If you only have 2 DVR's and 1 HD STB (3 total devices) why do you have 8 splits?

Connect only the lines you are using, and cap off the ones you don't.

I don't have 8 splits. I have two amps. One has 4 outputs and the other 8. I don't use all the outputs and the ones that aren't in use are capped.

I ran RG6 everywhere I thought I might need one in the future.

The reason I use amps is we have a TV in our master bedroom that runs from the ground onto the roof and into the attic on the other side of the house. Probably close to 100'. We were getting a weak signal that would go out at times. It had a 1:2 split in the attic. I replaced the splitter with a 4 channel amp and after putting an amp in, the problem went away.

We had a large room addition added on our ground floor and basement that I ran coax to several spots. I assumed that since I had signal issues in our attic, we would likely also have this in our addition, so I proactively wired with a 8 channel amp.

Like I stated earlier, everything was fine until recently.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-23-2014, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You are absolutely right about that only being a splitter. My apologies. It was late.

Here is an example on Ebay of a MOCA bypass amp. Ebay doesn't have PCT right now but PDI is fine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PDI-MOCA-BYP...item1e871b0de4

There are also some Legrand brand amps listed. I don't really know anything about them....

Again, sorry for misleading you.

This is a good option. I wonder if they make one with more outputs.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-24-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post
I don't have 8 splits. I have two amps. One has 4 outputs and the other 8. I don't use all the outputs and the ones that aren't in use are capped.

I ran RG6 everywhere I thought I might need one in the future.

The reason I use amps is we have a TV in our master bedroom that runs from the ground onto the roof and into the attic on the other side of the house. Probably close to 100'. We were getting a weak signal that would go out at times. It had a 1:2 split in the attic. I replaced the splitter with a 4 channel amp and after putting an amp in, the problem went away.

We had a large room addition added on our ground floor and basement that I ran coax to several spots. I assumed that since I had signal issues in our attic, we would likely also have this in our addition, so I proactively wired with a 8 channel amp.

Like I stated earlier, everything was fine until recently.
If I were wiring the house, like you did, I would have run individual trunks to each of the locations, instead of running one line to general location and splitting it. You get better management and signal that way.

When we remodeled the house, I ran 1x Coax and 2x Ethernet to each outlet. Bigger rooms got 2 outlets on the opposite sides of the room. This way, when wife decides to re-arrange the furniture, there is no need to make new runs.

We actually don't use coax for anything. Everything, TV, phone, and computer data is done over Ethernet. It's just more reliable and flexible that way.

We have 6TV's and it would have been a nightmare to manage that over coax. Not to mention that it is cheaper to operate your own IPTV distribution than renting boxes/DVR's.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page