Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-15-2014, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Channel master 7001 & Dolby Digital

All-

I recently purchased a Channel master 7001. Video and audio are passed to my Denon Receiver(AVR-1911) via HDMI. I've messed with the audio out settings of the CM7001's SPDIF setting (i.e. off, PCM, AC3) and can't seem to get Dolby digital outputted to my receiver. I read somewhere that I need to connect the toshlink for DD. This doesn't make sense to me since HDMI is more than capable of outputting this codec. My understanding is that the AC3 setting is the DD setting, but my AVR doesnt show "Dolby Digital". Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-15-2014, 10:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 315
S/PDIF has nothing to do with HDMI.
AC3 is DD.
Do you get audio at all via HDMI?
Is there an option/setting to enable DD via HDMI in the CM box? Maybe it's in the HDMI setup menus and not the "audio" settings.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-18-2014, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
S/PDIF has nothing to do with HDMI.
AC3 is DD.
Do you get audio at all via HDMI?
Is there an option/setting to enable DD via HDMI in the CM box? Maybe it's in the HDMI setup menus and not the "audio" settings.
Understood S/PDIF is not related to HMDI. The Channel Master manual only has settings options for S/PDIF. No mention/area of settings for HDMI. Which seems appropriate being that HDMI can pass the codec.

I've set the audio out options to AC3 and PCM, but it still seems to be not working. Although, it is possible that the content via OTA is not DD.

Yes, I do get audio via HDMI, I just dont see the AVR display "Dolby D" as previously it did when using comcast.
post #4 of 7 Old 08-18-2014, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 153
On your Denon remote there should be a audio mode button labeled movie towards the bottom right hand side. Hit that button while your material is playing. Should switch to DD from 2 channel.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #5 of 7 Old 08-21-2014, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
On your Denon remote there should be a audio mode button labeled movie towards the bottom right hand side. Hit that button while your material is playing. Should switch to DD from 2 channel.

S~
I went through my Denon's settings and it is set up correctly to receive the OTA signal. In fact I have it set to automatically detect the type of signal and process it. With that in mind, I checked the signal the my Denon is receiving from Channel master. The Denon receiver says 2.0 audio. I'm fairly confident that my Denon is setup and working properly, so I'm thinking that it's something else.

I've talked with Channel Master on the phone and we decided to try setting the CM's S/PDIF setting to "off" thinking that the 5.1 signal would be forced through HDMI (although I'm already getting video and 2.0 audio out of HDMI). That didn't work.

My current thinking is that perhaps the OTA signal itself being broadcasted is not DD5.1. It's plausible, and in some cases true (such as standard definition signals). How best can I determine what audio is being broadcasted out of my local tower?
post #6 of 7 Old 08-21-2014, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 153
I just went through this with my DTVPal when I hooked it back up. Denons and Marantz are a little weird. While you may have it set to auto in the receiver settings, you still need to hit the movie mode on the remote. If the signal is broadcast in 5.1, it will switch to surround and you should not need to do the setting again.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #7 of 7 Old 08-21-2014, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
I just went through this with my DTVPal when I hooked it back up. Denons and Marantz are a little weird. While you may have it set to auto in the receiver settings, you still need to hit the movie mode on the remote. If the signal is broadcast in 5.1, it will switch to surround and you should not need to do the setting again.

S~
on my remote there is not a"movie" button, but a "standard" button which lets me scroll though the different surround decoders. I'll double check to make sure I've got that setup properly.
If the signal is a 2 channel source then i use "standard" to scroll through various Pro Logic modes.
If multi-channel, then I use "standard" to scroll through various surround decoders(dolby D, DTS)

My receiver keeps displaying Dolby PLII
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page