AM antenna in attic to FR via coax - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 2 Old 08-19-2014, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
AM antenna in attic to FR via coax

Ok, I'm not real sure where I can ask this question.

I don't get AM reception on my home stereo AT ALL since it's in the basement. I have a coax cable going from downstairs to the attic.

The AM jack on my receiver is not coax - it's the normal kind where each end of a single wire plugs into separate holes.

If the description above doesn't make a lot of sense, here's a link to a picture of the back of my receiver that clearly shows the AM and FM connections. They're on the bottom left.

My FM jack is a coax jack.

If I plug the coax cable into the FM jack on the receiver, and the other end of the coax has an AM antenna hooked up to it, will I be able to get AM reception? I'm assuming not, but some guy at Radio Shack said I would.

If I had an antenna, I'd just try it, but I don't have one and I don't want to buy one if I won't get AM reception.

If plugging the coax into the FM coax jack won't get me AM reception, is there and adapter to switch a coax cable into the wires needed for my AM jack?

Last edited by Sweetmeat; 08-19-2014 at 08:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 Old 08-20-2014, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I use several of these:

They let me connect a 50 or 75-ohm coax to the wire-clip connections on the back of various tuners, for AM Medium-Wave reception.
You could run a second coax from upstairs, with a length of wire (between the eaves) for AM MW reception....just don't expect perfect reception nowadays. Lots of interference in any home or business, due to wiring, computers, TV sets, etc

A loop antenna is a good choice, since it will null out interference at the sides of the loop. Sangean made a small one that Radio Shack used to sell pretty cheaply. It has to be manually tuned to match the radio's channel selection, so it needs to be near the radio (or, left on only one channel). There are also wide-band (not tuned) loops available, but they are pricey.

Also, Ramsey makes a remotely-tuned antenna kit, which could be mounted outdoors. It has a shielded ferrite bar, and you build it inside of a piece of PVC sprinkler pipe. It could work well on a fence post, so it's a short distance from the house:

Many stations use them for monitoring their AM MW EAS assignments.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
Sponsored Links
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page