Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 90 Old 08-27-2014, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post
There have been some barebone kits from newegg recently that were really worthy of HTPC.
Took a look at Bare Bones Kits, would I be correct with something like this all I would need it a Win7 OS ? Also looks like its pretty much expandable down the road if needed to meet whatever needs pop up ??

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856272001
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 90 Old 08-27-2014, 09:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 421
I grabbed one of these a few weeks ago and slapped win 7 on it. Not really expandable, but works great for HTPC duty (I think HTPC should be a single purpose machine anyway). 1080p is smooth, fans nearly silent, and CPU draws the same power as a night light. Last thing I want is a big, hot, noisy box next to my TV. It's been recording the Simpsons marathon for about a week, 24 hrs/day (300 episodes so far) without a hitch. Paired it with a Ceton ETH 6. No need to get anything big and bulky. This thing is not much larger than the Xbox it sits on top of.

I admit loading win 7 on it was a bit tricky, but not too bad. Much easier than building a system from scratch. If you're interested, I can post a link to the downgrade procedure.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883103925

I think with Visa Check Out and rebate, grand total is $140.
post #33 of 90 Old 08-28-2014, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
I grabbed one of these a few weeks ago and slapped win 7 on it. Not really expandable, but works great for HTPC duty (I think HTPC should be a single purpose machine anyway). 1080p is smooth, fans nearly silent, and CPU draws the same power as a night light. Last thing I want is a big, hot, noisy box next to my TV. It's been recording the Simpsons marathon for about a week, 24 hrs/day (300 episodes so far) without a hitch. Paired it with a Ceton ETH 6. No need to get anything big and bulky. This thing is not much larger than the Xbox it sits on top of.

I admit loading win 7 on it was a bit tricky, but not too bad. Much easier than building a system from scratch. If you're interested, I can post a link to the downgrade procedure.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883103925

I think with Visa Check Out and rebate, grand total is $140.
Thanks for the link...$140 is a dang good price, still may be wanting something upgradeable though ??....when you say installing win7 was a bit tricky rather then keeping Win8 what was tricky about it?
post #34 of 90 Old 08-28-2014, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadking00 View Post
Took a look at Bare Bones Kits, would I be correct with something like this all I would need it a Win7 OS ? Also looks like its pretty much expandable down the road if needed to meet whatever needs pop up ??

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856272001
I would go with this bare bones for $270 shipped
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboB...=Combo.1816194

Good only today.

Military grade motherboard components with solid capacitors, HDMI built in, 4K support built in. Quad core CPU, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB "recording drive" (about 100 hours of HDTV recordings)

All you'd need is an SSD (64 GB is all you really need, but 128 GB may be cheaper per GB) and Win 7 OS.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #35 of 90 Old 08-28-2014, 07:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Thanks for the link...$140 is a dang good price, still may be wanting something upgradeable though ??....when you say installing win7 was a bit tricky rather then keeping Win8 what was tricky about it?
BIOS was locked so only win 8 would run on it. Had to flash an older one, unlock, and find win 7 drivers. Just took a little extra time and research.

Would have just kept 8 if it was Pro and worked with my extenders.
post #36 of 90 Old 08-28-2014, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Good only today.

Military grade motherboard components with solid capacitors, HDMI built in, 4K support built in. Quad core CPU, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB "recording drive" (about 100 hours of HDTV recordings)

All you'd need is an SSD (64 GB is all you really need, but 128 GB may be cheaper per GB) and Win 7 OS.
Looks like a deal, may have to jump on this one today Any specific specs/brand recommendations for SSD's , also is newegg the place to purchase the OS Win7 Home Prem 64 or are there better deals out there on the net worth looking into? Kind of like the one stop shopping advantage of newegg though....
post #37 of 90 Old 08-28-2014, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
BIOS was locked so only win 8 would run on it. Had to flash an older one, unlock, and find win 7 drivers. Just took a little extra time and research.

Would have just kept 8 if it was Pro and worked with my extenders.
Ahh, definitively above my knowledge level at the moment.....but starting to work on learning some more a little at a time....
post #38 of 90 Old 08-28-2014, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Looks like a deal, may have to jump on this one today Any specific specs/brand recommendations for SSD's , also is newegg the place to purchase the OS Win7 Home Prem 64 or are there better deals out there on the net worth looking into? Kind of like the one stop shopping advantage of newegg though....

I would wait for a deal on Win 7. Sometimes there are family 3-pack for $99.

Another option is to see if Assasin on here has some left from his sale in the spring. I think they were selling them for $40 or $50 per license.

Also, if you have kids in college, or know someone who goes to school at a large university, they usually get steep discount on software.

When I was in college, got Win 98 for $7, and when I was in Grad school got Win 7 for $10 at the university computer store.

Edit: I am so out of date with the SSD's, that I can not recommend one. I am using the OCZAgility refurb from 4 years ago that people were shying away from.

ANY SSD, will be faster than the fastest HDD.

You don't really have to have SSD, but it is nice to have it. If you have a low capacity spare HDD laying around, it will work too.

Push come to shove, you can load OS on the recording drive, but expect some slugginess loading library items/icons.

Boot time benefit of SSD is irrelevant since the machine will most likely be on 24/7 or go to S3 sleep.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!

Last edited by blueiedgod; 08-28-2014 at 09:21 AM.
post #39 of 90 Old 08-28-2014, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Good only today.

DONE DEAL, just bit the bullet at NE , $444 out the door/shipped, with a Crucial M500 CT120M500SSD1 7mm (with 9.5mm adapter) 2.5" 120GB MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) and WIN7 Prem 64

Next I'll get my head around the whole turner needed and extender options to continue on to at least get 1-2 TV's on the system for now and get the wife (and I) used to the whole set-up...

I appreciate all the help from yourself as well as mdavej and any and/all others who may chime in down the road....
post #40 of 90 Old 08-28-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
DONE DEAL, just bit the bullet at NE , $444 out the door/shipped, with a Crucial M500 CT120M500SSD1 7mm (with 9.5mm adapter) 2.5" 120GB MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) and WIN7 Prem 64

Next I'll get my head around the whole turner needed and extender options to continue on to at least get 1-2 TV's on the system for now and get the wife (and I) used to the whole set-up...

I appreciate all the help from yourself as well as mdavej and any and/all others who may chime in down the road....

Awesome! Glad we could help.

Here is where you have to make a decision.

If you go with antenna then you need SiliconDust HomeRun Dual (NOT Prime)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815345015

If you continue with Cable TV, then you will need to decide how many tuners you will need.

Tree: SiliconDust HomeRun Prime http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815345006

or

Six: Ceton InifniTV6 ETH http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815706004

Unfortunately, you just missed the sale on Ceton, where they were offering the 6-tuner unit for $199. It may come back for labor day sale.

Also, you may be able to find four tuner units on ebay or amazon.

post #41 of 90 Old 08-28-2014, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:

Awesome! Glad we could help.

Here is where you have to make a decision.

If you go with antenna then you need SiliconDust HomeRun Dual (NOT Prime)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815345015

If you continue with Cable TV, then you will need to decide how many tuners you will need.

Tree: SiliconDust HomeRun Prime http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815345006

or

Six: Ceton InifniTV6 ETH http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815706004

Unfortunately, you just missed the sale on Ceton, where they were offering the 6-tuner unit for $199. It may come back for labor day sale.

Also, you may be able to find four tuner units on ebay or amazon.
Ok cool, so my plan for the next 12 months at least is to stick with TWC basic ,get a cable card from them and check it out...so it sounds like there isn't 1 specific tuner that covers both OTA and Cable then ? Looks like I will keep an eye on the Centon 6turner for upcoming sales then...after that all I would need is an extender for each TV,connected to a network switch then HDMI out to whichever TV or AVR from the extender then right ?

And the main advantage of multiple tuners is the ability to record/view that many shows at the same time right ? 3 turner I'll be able to record 2 shows and at the same time watch a live or recorded program on any or all of the TV's while the other 2 are recording right ?

And one more thought, if the HTPC is sitting next to my AVR in the closet for my family room TV is it necessary to have a extender or can I come right out of the HDMI from the PC straight to the AVR, and of course would have a network cable to it as well....

Last edited by roadking00; 08-28-2014 at 12:45 PM.
post #42 of 90 Old 08-28-2014, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ok cool, so my plan for the next 12 months at least is to stick with TWC basic ,get a cable card from them and check it out...so it sounds like there isn't 1 specific tuner that covers both OTA and Cable then ? Looks like I will keep an eye on the Centon 6turner for upcoming sales then...after that all I would need is an extender for each TV,connected to a network switch then HDMI out to whichever TV or AVR from the extender then right ?

And the main advantage of multiple tuners is the ability to record/view that many shows at the same time right ? 3 turner I'll be able to record 2 shows and at the same time watch a live or recorded program on any or all of the TV's while the other 2 are recording right ?

And one more thought, if the HTPC is sitting next to my AVR in the closet for my family room TV is it necessary to have a extender or can I come right out of the HDMI from the PC straight to the AVR, and of course would have a network cable to it as well....

Correct, the number of tuners determines the number of simultaneous programs that can be viewed/recorded.

WMC uses dynamic tuner assignment, which is pretty complex.

Let's say you are watching something on ch 2. And your wife, in another room decides to watch ch 2 as well. WMC will only use 1 tuner, the same one you have been watching. Also, your wife will be able to rewind to up to 40 minutes back, before she joined, if you have been watching for at least 40 minutes.

40 minutes is the default live TV buffer. IF you pause live TV, for longer than 40 minutes, it will self un-pause once the buffer is full.

However, unlike TiVO, switching between 2 channels loses the buffer. The only way to preserve it, is to record both.

You can connect 1 AVR/TV to the HTPC directly, and additional TV's/AVR's will connect through the extenders on the network.

On the TV connected to the HTPC, you can watch recorded, or buffered live TV at 1.5x with the voice shifted to sound normal, not chip and dale like.

When fast forwarding recorded or buffered live TV pressing play button will back off the FF to a few seconds before you pressed play button. i.e. it takes into account the reaction time of an average human, and tries to resume playback from the spot that your eyes saw, but fingers were delayed in pressing play button.

Last edited by blueiedgod; 08-28-2014 at 02:29 PM.
post #43 of 90 Old 08-28-2014, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Correct, the number of tuners determines the number of simultaneous programs that can be viewed/recorded.

WMC uses dynamic tuner assignment, which is pretty complex.

Let's say you are watching something on ch 2. And your wife, in another room decides to watch ch 2 as well. WMC will only use 1 tuner, the same one you have been watching. Also, your wife will be able to rewind to up to 40 minutes back, before she joined, if you have been watching for at least 40 minutes.

40 minutes is the default live TV buffer. IF you pause live TV, for longer than 40 minutes, it will self un-pause once the buffer is full.

However, unlike TiVO, switching between 2 channels loses the buffer. The only way to preserve it, is to record both.

You can connect 1 AVR/TV to the HTPC directly, and additional TV's/AVR's will connect through the extenders on the network.

On the TV connected to the HTPC, you can watch recorded, or buffered live TV at 1.5x with the voice shifted to sound normal, not chip and dale like.

When fast forwarding recorded or buffered live TV pressing play button will back off the FF to a few seconds before you pressed play button. i.e. it takes into account the reaction time of an average human, and tries to resume playback from the spot that your eyes saw, but fingers were delayed in pressing play button.
Sweet, I'm actually starting to get the whole concept down , excited about the whole thing getting on its way to reality at my home.... So, I may just look into a 3 tuner set up to get started if the price difference warrants giving up the other 3, unless there is of course another good sale going on soon (or when I'm ready at least) with the ceton.

So another unknown, whats the down side of say, loss of internet service temporarily? Loss of cable service I would imagine shuts all live stuff down but would still have whatever is on DVR available...Loss of HTPC I would also imagine shuts EVERYTHING down to all TV's unless you have a seperate RG6 ran to a few choice TV's prior to anything else in the set-up or OTA as well....

I may be getting a head of myself a bit now(tend to do that) but how bout my options on some extenders ? Do some/all typically come with remotes? Looks like I'll just need 4-5 total for the house EVER since I can come right out of the HTPC for my AVR for the Living Room. Will just start out with 1-2 for now though to get the system up and running....
post #44 of 90 Old 08-29-2014, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sweet, I'm actually starting to get the whole concept down , excited about the whole thing getting on its way to reality at my home.... So, I may just look into a 3 tuner set up to get started if the price difference warrants giving up the other 3, unless there is of course another good sale going on soon (or when I'm ready at least) with the ceton.

So another unknown, whats the down side of say, loss of internet service temporarily? Loss of cable service I would imagine shuts all live stuff down but would still have whatever is on DVR available...Loss of HTPC I would also imagine shuts EVERYTHING down to all TV's unless you have a seperate RG6 ran to a few choice TV's prior to anything else in the set-up or OTA as well....

I may be getting a head of myself a bit now(tend to do that) but how bout my options on some extenders ? Do some/all typically come with remotes? Looks like I'll just need 4-5 total for the house EVER since I can come right out of the HTPC for my AVR for the Living Room. Will just start out with 1-2 for now though to get the system up and running....
The sale is back

http://www.amazon.com/Ceton-InfiniTV...A367BFUFL7Q0L9

http://www.amazon.com/Ceton-Echo-Win...A367BFUFL7Q0L9

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-003-_-Product

post #45 of 90 Old 08-29-2014, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Been browsing newegg and ran across this echo extender with remote (seems like the reviews were 50/50 ?)......

Any major differences that you've heard of (issues) between this 6 tuner PCi type and External TV Tuner Box from Ceton ?? Heat issues for the card maybe in the HTPC ??
post #46 of 90 Old 08-29-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Been browsing newegg and ran across this echo extender with remote (seems like the reviews were 50/50 ?)......

Any major differences that you've heard of (issues) between this 6 tuner PCi type and External TV Tuner Box from Ceton ?? Heat issues for the card maybe in the HTPC ??

Echo will work for what you want it to do. A lot of people were dissatisfied with Ceton, which promised Android TV functionality with future firmware updates, but could not deliver to 100% of the units in service, and pulled it back completely.

I am using "ancient" linksys extenders from the late 2000's which serve just fine as TV and movie access points. There is no web access on the extenders, other than XBOX360.

We;ve upgraded form the original InifniTV4 PCIe to InfiniTV6 ETH, mainly for the 6 tuner capability, but also for the network attached tuner flexibility. Our HTPC is in the family room, near the TV. With all the tuners on the network, the only connection to the wall is power and ethernet.

InifniTV4 PCIe required good air flow through the case. I would expect InfiniTV6 to do the same or more.The ETH does get hot, but it is on the rack in the basement with other networking equipment, all of which is actively cooled. So, we haven't had issues.

post #47 of 90 Old 08-29-2014, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Correct, when HTPC is down, everything is down.

I have set up my desktop to be the stand in HTPC for when/if main HTPC is down. All of our content is stored on the network, all of our tuners are on the network. Everything is linked to both PC's. All that is needed to do is pair up the extenders with the desktop, and all the TV's except for the family room are back on line.

Haven' had to do that, yet, but in a mock HTPC failure, changeover took all but 5 minutes.

post #48 of 90 Old 08-29-2014, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Echo will work for what you want it to do. A lot of people were dissatisfied with Ceton, which promised Android TV functionality with future firmware updates, but could not deliver to 100% of the units in service, and pulled it back completely.

I am using "ancient" linksys extenders from the late 2000's which serve just fine as TV and movie access points. There is no web access on the extenders, other than XBOX360.

We;ve upgraded form the original InifniTV4 PCIe to InfiniTV6 ETH, mainly for the 6 tuner capability, but also for the network attached tuner flexibility. Our HTPC is in the family room, near the TV. With all the tuners on the network, the only connection to the wall is power and ethernet.

InifniTV4 PCIe required good air flow through the case. I would expect InfiniTV6 to do the same or more.The ETH does get hot, but it is on the rack in the basement with other networking equipment, all of which is actively cooled. So, we haven't had issues.
Cool, good to here ..well for the price I can get at least 1 echo and see how we like it and if for any reason we wanna try a different extender for the next 1-2 locations we can and the system will be up and running by then and just a matter of upgrading a room at a time...

I'm tempted to hold off and keep an eye out for the InfiniTV6 ETH model tuner but at the same time for the sale price of the PCIe right now and the neat/compact HTPC footprint using the built in card its pretty tempting too.... I have fans if needed and was thinking on cutting a small return duct grill into the sheetrock in my media closet to pull some heat out and create a bit more air exchange in the closet itself.(there is a return trunk right in the closet wall)

Sorry buy here's another most likely stupid question....

So, if I only have a 3 turner HDhomerun does that also mean I can only have a maximum of 3 extenders usable on the 3 tuner set-up in regards to watching live shows ? ie.. can I have 3 extenders and also use the HTPC HDMI out to a 4th TV and use all 4 at the same time? Or would the 4th TV have to watch/share the same show as one of the 3 tuners are watching only ?

Last edited by roadking00; 08-29-2014 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Learned how to create an ISO file and set up a bootable USB drive :)
post #49 of 90 Old 08-29-2014, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Cool, good to here ..well for the price I can get at least 1 echo and see how we like it and if for any reason we wanna try a different extender for the next 1-2 locations we can and the system will be up and running by then and just a matter of upgrading a room at a time...

I'm tempted to hold off and keep an eye out for the InfiniTV6 ETH model tuner but at the same time for the sale price of the PCIe right now and the neat/compact HTPC footprint using the built in card its pretty tempting too.... I have fans if needed and was thinking on cutting a small return duct grill into the sheetrock in my media closet to pull some heat out and create a bit more air exchange in the closet itself.(there is a return trunk right in the closet wall)

Sorry buy here's another most likely stupid question....

So, if I only have a 3 turner HDhomerun does that also mean I can only have a maximum of 3 extenders usable on the 3 tuner set-up in regards to watching live shows ? ie.. can I have 3 extenders and also use the HTPC HDMI out to a 4th TV and use all 4 at the same time? Or would the 4th TV have to watch/share the same show as one of the 3 tuners are watching only ?

Also, I just now realized the bare-bones package that's in the mail heading my way didn't have a CD drive, looks like I may have to swipe a drive out of my old desktop just to install Win7, or is there another way I'm not aware of to install an OS (maybe copy the disc files to a usb jump drive?) ??

Number of extenders only determines how many TV's can be connected to the HTPC.

Number of tuners determines how many simultaneous TV programs can be viewed/recorded.

With 3 tuners, you will only be able to view/record 3 simultaneous programs. However, if you have 5 TV's (1 connected to HTPC and 4 extenders) you can still view previously recorded content, as well as content from your personal digital library.

So, to answer your question, if you have 3 tuners, and they are all in use, the 4th TV will have to view something that is already tuned, or previously recorded.

I have found that in order to have high WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) you almost have to have 2x as many tuners as you have TV's. Because as your family learns that they can record whatever and whenever, you will see half of your tuners will be used for recording, and you will need tuners for something that you want to watch now, or other family member will want to watch while they record something else.

We have 6 TV's and 12 tuners. Have yet to have a tuner conflict.

post #50 of 90 Old 08-29-2014, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I have found that in order to have high WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) you almost have to have 2x as many tuners as you have TV's. Because as your family learns that they can record whatever and whenever, you will see half of your tuners will be used for recording, and you will need tuners for something that you want to watch now, or other family member will want to watch while they record something else.

We have 6 TV's and 12 tuners. Have yet to have a tuner conflict.
That says it all LOL... looks like a 6 tuner for me is a good starting point .....

Thanks man....

And I have been meaning to ask exactly how do you only have a $4.99 a month bill with fios/cable coming into your home ? Is that not including your ISP bill ? Or all OTA signals ?
post #51 of 90 Old 08-30-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
That says it all LOL... looks like a 6 tuner for me is a good starting point .....

Thanks man....

And I have been meaning to ask exactly how do you only have a $4.99 a month bill with fios/cable coming into your home ? Is that not including your ISP bill ? Or all OTA signals ?
Although I have 6 tuners, my family of 4 rarely used them all. We record just about everything we watch. We rarely watch live TV except for sports. I got by pretty well with 2 or 3 tuners except for the new fall tv season. I doubt you'll need more than 6. There simply isn't that much worth watching.

In case it wasn't clear, the number of tuners has no bearing on what you can play back simultaneously. You could play a dozen different recordings simultaneously while recording (or watching) 6 others from the live tuners.

Obviously he's talking about fees, not service for $5. My fees are only $2 for my card, no DVR service fees, no box fees, just the card and my programming package (about $60 for a mid-tier package with 200-ish HD channels and HBO/MAX/SHO). That's a promo that jumps to $80 a couple of years from now. This is for a 5 TV household and unlimited streaming to PCs, phones and tablets anywhere in the world. Cable card tuners and WMC saves me at least $50/month in fees. Paid for my initial hardware costs in just over a year. The rest is gravy.

You mentioned OTA in your initial post. Why would you need cable AND OTA? My cable system carries nearly all my local OTA subchannels, so it would be redundant.
post #52 of 90 Old 08-30-2014, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks man....

We still pay the service bill, $60/month for 25/25 internet, FiOS Prefeffed TV, and phone.

Had we rented a whole house DVR, I would have cost $20/month, + 5 additional HD boxes at $10/month each = $70/month. Making the bill $130 + tax on $130 not $60.

Instead, we rent a single CableCARD for $4.99/month. Our total monthly bill is under $75.

Edit: Newegg will have Windows Media Center remote for $11.99 tonight, starting at 6 pm pacific.

http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellS...7&et_rid=15163

post #53 of 90 Old 08-30-2014, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You mentioned OTA in your initial post. Why would you need cable AND OTA? My cable system carries nearly all my local OTA subchannels, so it would be redundant.

Because they have TWC, which has encrypted all channels, including locals.

post #54 of 90 Old 08-30-2014, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Im cutting my DTV service off with whole home DVR service and dropping down to Basic (20 local channels) no boxes at all from TWC to mess with and a dramatic monthly savings.

I was curious what my options are out there (low end and high end) to record local channels with my own DVR these days and at the same time which ever DVR would work with TWC coming in would it also work with an OTA antenna as well (which is what I am working towards) ??

Thanks for any help.

Jumped the gun on my post (again) looks like its pretty detailed in the below thread I just found...The 557 looks like the one to go with for now.

Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575
not sure but it was my belief that most people were using their computers with OTA tuners
or sat tuners built in and their own hard drives for the recording.
you might check that source out.
only read the first post, will catch up.

my HT
post #55 of 90 Old 08-30-2014, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
they did that like the sat companies so you can RENT a BOX.

my HT
post #56 of 90 Old 08-31-2014, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally I was planning to eventually cut the cords completely (at a later date) but for now set it all up for TWC and still be able to utilize the same equipment when I got to the cord cutting time. Since then I've decided since I will always need a ISP provider I should just count on using TWC for faster speeds and utilize the basic channel set-up through them with a cable card I should be saving about $70-$80 compared to my DTV account I just canceled with whole house DVR fees etc. as well as my slower DSL account....

Quote:
We still pay the service bill, $60/month for 25/25 internet, FiOS Prefeffed TV, and phone.

Had we rented a whole house DVR, I would have cost $20/month, + 5 additional HD boxes at $10/month each = $70/month. Making the bill $130 + tax on $130 not $60.

Instead, we rent a single CableCARD for $4.99/month. Our total monthly bill is under $75.

Edit: Newegg will have Windows Media Center remote for $11.99 tonight, starting at 6 pm pacific.

http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellS...7&et_rid=15163
I believe my monthly bill will be around that area as well when all is said and done (maybe a little less)
I ordered 2 of the remotes late last night

Now I just have to decide on a 6- tuner "PC Card " or "external " ?? And keep an eye on the sales this Monday, and of course 1-2 extenders for now.

I'm also in the process of researching updating my router to something newer then my existing Wireless G Linksys WRT54G, to a gigabit router to help things out with streaming and be able to work with my 8 port gig switch I had laying around (couldn't get it to work with my older router, Linksys tech chat says firmware out of date and no upgrade available)

Thanks all for the continued help....
post #57 of 90 Old 08-31-2014, 07:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Quote:

If the OP gets a cable card tuner, all will get decrypted, including locals. Just trying to point out he probably doesn't need both.
post #58 of 90 Old 08-31-2014, 07:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You only need one dongle per PC. I'd also put the included remotes in a drawer and use a universal (or 2) instead. Otherwise, you're juggling remotes just to change the volume.
post #59 of 90 Old 08-31-2014, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You only need one dongle per PC. I'd also put the included remotes in a drawer and use a universal (or 2) instead. Otherwise, you're juggling remotes just to change the volume.
You lost me mdavej ? Are you referring to not using the remotes that come with with extenders like the echo and then using a WMC type remotes for the extenders ? This is what I planned on doing except for my main living room which I have a Harmony Ultimate for which I am still kind of getting the hang of programming , the basics with my components are simply programmed, but have more to learn with programming codes to use with WMC coming up....
post #60 of 90 Old 08-31-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm saying don't use any remotes besides your Harmony (or other universal). WMC and Echo remotes are not universal. Any remote that comes with a dongle or extender belongs in a drawer, IMO. I'm partial to JP1 universal remotes myself.

I was mostly wondering why you bought 2 when you only needed one dongle.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page