AVS Forum banner

Qam external tuner recommendation

2K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  mdavej 
#1 ·
I have local TV package from verizon fios and don't want their boat anchor, paying $19 a month for it. I was told I needed a qam tuner to decode the local channels that are being provided via coax. I've tried finding one on the web that has HDMI out and no PVR, as I'm only really going to use it to watch the major channels when the football games are on. Any recommendations would be really, really appreciated!!!

#3 ·
Most newish TV's unless you have an old tube TV from the 90's, have digital tuners, which in most cases are Clear QAM capable.

Are you sure Verizon FiOS is offering local channels in ClearQAM, i.e. Unencrypted?

Most cable TV providers have moved away from offering ClearQAM, and are using Encrypted QAM for all their TV offerings. Some even go a step further and copyright protect all of the TV channels.

#4 ·
Are you sure Verizon FiOS is offering local channels in ClearQAM, i.e. Unencrypted?
They still do in my area. But, either way, the tuner suggested accepts a Cablecard in the event Verizon encrypts "locals" in the OP's particular area.

Copyright is not in question as the OP stated, "...HDMI out and no PVR, as I'm only really going to use it to watch the major channels when the football games are on." ;)

#6 ·
I'm hearing a lot of talk about Cablecard being on the way out, too. That might make the Cable company's box the only way to go.

#8 ·
The rumors of CableCARD death are unsubstantiated.

There was an FCC action lifting integration ban, which simply means that company provided boxes are no longer required to rely on CableCARD alone as method of decryption.

This paves a way for software encryption/decryption. There are rumors that Verizon is planning to continue FiOS expansion, but without the RF based TV distribution, that is currently used. Instead, they will use something like HULU, or similar to AT&T's U-Verse, and use IPTV distribution, so that they don't have to obtain FCC TV franchise license.

CableCARDs are still mandated for 3rd party devices for non IPTV distributed TV.

#7 ·
FIOS here in Philly is unencrypted QAM for locals, so I'd think it'd be the same in NYC.

I bought one of these as a stopgap for my older HDTV. However, I don't recommend it for QAM (and granted the manufacturer doesn't recommend it for QAM either), as channel numbering is inconsistent (e.g., CBS 3-1 shows as 3-1 on my other TVs, but on this box, shows as 7-1031, or sometimes 76-11031, neither of which can be directly entered on the remote). And encrypted channels get added as well, meaning scrolling through all channels is a pain.

Sorry I can't give a true recommendation, but sometimes a negative rec can help as well.

#9 ·
You can't have it all...
HBO is encrypted. Pay for a tuner or buy a box with cablecard.

If all you need are locals, cablecard is a non-issue (assuming locals are sent 'in the clear').

Will cablecard support "go away"? It depends on the area and the provider.

At $127... the box has paid for itself after 6 months.
Assuming Verizon doesn't drop Cablecard support, you can add one later for any additional encrypted channels you may desire in the future. That's positioning...

So... continue renting from the cableco or try the external tuner suggested and hope for the best.

Or! Sell the 50" Fujitsu (which could die at any time) while it's still working and get a new TV with a QAM tuner. :)

#10 ·
I found this but it's a "generic" so who knows:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/231204736430?lpid=82

I use HBO go on my xbox (or from my cell/pc via a chromecast) so I don't have to worry about the encryption.

But yeah, you're right...while I spent $8K on the fujitsu in 1/04, it's given me almost 11 years of great service. It's time to get a new one but I've been holding off because a) ol' betsy still looks good, and b) want to wait for 4K panels to mature a bit before taking the plunge.

#12 ·
#13 ·
Original iView STB3500 does clear QAM just fine on the latest firmware (do NOT buy the II version). They run $25-$40. Plug in a hard drive and you've got a free DVR, albeit a simple one. My kids use iViews at college and they work pretty well. I wouldn't spend much more than that if I were you. While I don't think cable card is going away anytime soon, clear QAM definitely is.

There's typically a really long payback on that Samsung. On my cable system, a card is $2, or a box is $6. So that $4 difference would take me nearly 3 years to break even. Does Verizon really charge over $20/month for a cable box? I honestly can't see how anybody can make the numbers work on the Samsung. If it were a DVR, that would be a different story, but it's just a tuner.

#15 ·
They charge $7.99 for the box, and $11.99 for the DVR service. I don't need a DVR as the shows I watch I buy and stream whenever I want them. I think DVRs will go the way of the dodo at some point in a few years as well. Why store when you can stream? :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.