Dilemma with tv above fireplace. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-20-2015, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Dilemma with tv above fireplace.

Ok, here is my dilemma. I want to mount my tv over the fireplace, but the coax is on an adjacent wall approximately 30 feet away. Initially, my wife (against my better judgement) decided that the tv would never go over the fireplace and that it was better in an entertainment center and thus the reason that I don't have a coax above the fireplace. What I do have above the fireplace is 3 speaker wires(for sound bar), an additional speaker wire and 2 cat 6 cables. All my audio/video wiring run to a closet in the basement which will one day be the media closet. I was looking into ir receivers/transmitters/blasters and think this would be the best method. Can I terminate my own audio jacks and what would be the best way to implement this? That would cover the cable box. I was thinking of using Cat6 to HDMI converter to for video from TV to Cable box. Thoughts/Suggestions? Thank you in advance for all the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-20-2015, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Respectfully, I'm with your wife on this.

I have no understanding why people insist on mounting a TV over a fire place. It is incredibly uncomfortable, or I find it uncomfortable to view for any length of time when one assumes a normal seating position. It looks good in architectural magazines and printed advertisements though and I guess it's ok if your standing up to watch.

I use an IOGEAR GW3DHDKIT to send HD from my cable box to a 50" plasma TV in an upstairs room and it works very good; very happy with it. It even accepts commands from the cable box remote. Here's a link to the product: https://www.iogear.com/product/GW3DHDKIT/
post #3 of 8 Old 11-20-2015, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks I'll check this out. The problem is that she has changed her mind and decided that it needs to go over the fireplace. We have altered the entire great room to accommodate this setup. Now to get the TV working

post #4 of 8 Old 11-20-2015, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reap76 View Post
Thanks I'll check this out. The problem is that she has changed her mind and decided that it needs to go over the fireplace. We have altered the entire great room to accommodate this setup. Now to get the TV working
PS.. My better judgement was not that the TV should be over the fireplace, but that eventually she would change her mind and want the tv above the fireplace.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-20-2015, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 278
As I said, I've been very happy with the IOGEAR unit.

We often set up a TV or a projector outside in the summer months to watch a movie or sports while enjoying the patio or a BBQ. The IOGEAR unit allows us to do that while having access to the cable box or Blu-ray player inside the house. It's also very easy to setup.

Good luck!
post #6 of 8 Old 12-22-2015, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Can't help with your actual question and it does sound like you are set on the TV over the fireplace but...

It's really bad to have it over the fireplace.

1. It will be far too high for a good viewing angle

and

2. If you use the fireplace the TV will be exposed to excessive heat and could shorten the life of the TV.

Good luck.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-24-2016, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post
Respectfully, I'm with your wife on this.

I have no understanding why people insist on mounting a TV over a fire place. It is incredibly uncomfortable, or I find it uncomfortable to view for any length of time when one assumes a normal seating position. It looks good in architectural magazines and printed advertisements though and I guess it's ok if your standing up to watch.

I use an IOGEAR GW3DHDKIT to send HD from my cable box to a 50" plasma TV in an upstairs room and it works very good; very happy with it. It even accepts commands from the cable box remote. Here's a link to the product: https://www.iogear.com/product/GW3DHDKIT/
Oh wow! This is like magic! Never heard of something like this, thank you for that. Here's an updated link for it: https://www.iogear.com//product/GW3DHDKIT/
post #8 of 8 Old 02-21-2017, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thats nice. Glad I found this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page