Getting full HDMI from DisplayPort - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 10-08-2016, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Getting full HDMI from DisplayPort

I have an old laptop that I have hooked into the TV int he bedroom so we can stream content. The laptop doesn't have HDMI-out but it does have a DisplayPort so I purchased one of these off Monoprice and hooked it into the TV via standard HDMI cable and it works fine, both Video and Audio signal come through.

Now I'm looking to add a soundbar to the equation so we can get 5.1 for movies but I'm worried this adapter might not support that (that it's just sending a stereo signal). Here's what it says in their description:

Note: This is a passive adapter. While DisplayPort connectors are capable of passing an HDMI® signal, DisplayPort and HDMI® signals are basically different and not compatible with each other. This adapter does not actively convert a DisplayPort signal into an HDMI® signal. In order for this adapter to function properly, you must have a DisplayPort source device capable of producing and passing out an HDMI® signal through the DisplayPort jack.

Am I hosed here? Or is it truly passing through an HDMI signal and that's why it works for me? I just want to make sure I'll get 5.1 sound before I go and buy anything. Anyone with experience on this?

TV: Sony XBR65A1E
RECEIVER: Denon 4200W
SPEAKER SETUP: 5.1.2
FRONT/CENTER/REAR: Paradigm CI-PRO P80-IW (in-wall)
SUB: Paradigm Seismic 110
ATMOS: Paradigm CI-PRO P80 (in-ceiling)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-08-2017, 09:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I've got a Displayport to HDMI adapter on a Dell Opti 9020 and I get 5.1 out of it. However, I'm a bit confused on how you plan to add one soundbar and plan to get 5.1 out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

Tags
displayport , hdmi

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page