New AT&T Directv installation - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-07-2016, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
New AT&T Directv installation

I am getting AT&T Directv installed on Friday of this week. Recently I re-wired my house with RG-6 solid copper dual shield "directv" approved coax and CAT-6 cables. All of the cables coming from each room in the house are routed to a central closet inside the house. I have a home run of 1 RG-6 coax and 1 CAT 6 cable that is running from the central closet up through the attic and out to the side of the house where the existing cable box and AT&T NID are located.

I know they will be installing a satellite dish on the house and my concern is that they will have coax cables running everywhere.

I want this to look nice and neat. I do not want a splitter or block mounted to the side of the house as i have all of the cables nice and neat all bundled up and covered. It has been a while since I have seen a directv installation, but I do know that the techs that I have seen before tend to just run coax on the outside of the house to each room and nail it to the side of the outer walls. I want to prevent this from happening.

Would the Directv installer be able to run the coax cables that come off the satellite dish directly in to my central media closet, then split the signal there since all of my cables are running there already?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-08-2016, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1487 Post(s)
Liked: 1191
Polite requests and cash always helps.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-08-2016, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked: 286
per your thread on the dtv forums, you will have a ground block outside.

TV- Samsung 55" UHD (UN55JU6500FXZA)
service - directv
Receiver - Denon AVR-X2100W,
Speakers -F L/R - Infinity Primus P363, C - Infinity Primus PC351
Sub - Klipsch Sub-12HG
(slow build out)

post #4 of 6 Old 02-21-2017, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
They've always complied with my requests in the past. Just hope you get a good installer.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-19-2017, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Have the installer look around, ask how long he has been installing. If he becomes panicked send him on his way. If he begins talking about the complexities, just ask him how much extra. Depending on the complexities, you may be looking at several $100's to get it complete and correct.

I ALWAYS have my wiring guy there when they come to my house. He keeps them on the straight and narrow.

Realize there are plenty of nightmare stories. You will need to follow him closely during the install.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-19-2017, 09:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentless85 View Post
Would the Directv installer be able to run the coax cables that come off the satellite dish directly in to my central media closet, then split the signal there since all of my cables are running there already?
Yes - that is basically what they did at my home. They ran the DirecTV line thru my garage to my main TV in the family room. They put a splitter there and connected it to the original cable coming in from the original cable box to send the DirecTV signal to that box, and routed it to the other TVs in the house via that box (after the old cable company wire was disconnected, of course). I agreed to this after considering the other alternatives, including running the wire all the way to the outside cable junction box (not an attractive alternative at our home). It works fine - and the installer was very knowledgeable and helpful and cooperative. I imagine your installer would run the DirecTV cable directly to your cable connection box & feed the signal to your TVs form there. The only thing you probably will not get him to do is go up an extension ladder onto a roof or mount the dish on a roof area over a living space (not allowed as an AT&T employee, he told me).

A long-time audio/video addict!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page