buried & broken? coax and phone wires - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-24-2017, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Unhappy buried & broken? coax and phone wires

Things is not good - any advice or suggestions would be very, very helpful.
My house, a raised bungalow, was badly flooded due to the combination of a leaking main water shut-off valve and a plugged sink. All walls in the lower/basement level were stripped down to studs. The first two feet or so of drywall of many walls in the upper level were removed and replaced.
Eleven months of gruesome restoration work later, I just moved back in ... to find that, although the cable signal and phone signal from the (single) service-supplier are being delivered fine, none of the 9 coax cable outlets and none of the 7 phone wall-jacks are live and working. (There had also been electrical (re)wiring done during the restorative work - as well as some renovations).
The trades who worked on-site are all pointing at each other. None has suggested any other response or solution than to "open up every wall and re-wire the house again". I cannot manage that. The insurance adjuster has been less interested and helpful than the trades. I know he can -- and probably will -- get even less interested and helpful.
I badly need to come up with some kind of starting point -- and someone knowledgeable and experienced to take the lead -- to try and figure out the problem - and the solution:
1. Does it make sense to buy and try using some kind of "wire tracker" or "wire tracer" initially, since we can see where the coax and phone line starts and heads (i.e. at elec breaker panel), but both are buried (initially in the garage ceiling) entirely from that point on? And of what real value is being able to track the wires anyhow - unless there's a tracking device that identifies breakage or signal loss along the way?
2. Am I actually going about addressing this the wrong way? Is there a better and smarter way to figure out the problem and get it fixed?
Sorry for the lengthy post - thanks to anyone who can suggest anything at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-24-2017, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 102
See "How to Find an Electrical Cable in Your Walls" http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how...-in-your-walls

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #3 of 3 Old 01-30-2017, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

Tags
broken coax cable , buried coax cable , finding coax cable , hidden coax cable , locating coax cable

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page