AudioQuest HDMI's - Worth It? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes
  • 1 Post By Ratman
  • 3 Post By Otto Pylot
  • 3 Post By olyteddy
  • 2 Post By Otto Pylot
  • 3 Post By timjohnson1717

post #1 of 29 Old 01-31-2017, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 4
AudioQuest HDMI's - Worth It?

Need to buy a few HDMI cables that will give my Anthem Receiver, Oppo 203, LG OLED, and Paradigm's the best possible picture and sound. Is it worth it to pull the trigger on these? Also, is there any serious difference between the Pearl, Forrest, and Cinnamon options?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 01-31-2017, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1487 Post(s)
Liked: 1191
No and no.
post #3 of 29 Old 01-31-2017, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Which HDMI cables would you recommend? Just want a reliable cable 5-6 Ft. that can produce the best possible picture/sound.

post #4 of 29 Old 01-31-2017, 02:22 PM

post #5 of 29 Old 01-31-2017, 09:39 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked: 1043
Agree with Ratman on both accounts. At 5'-6' practically any passive High Speed HDMI cable will work. The cable either works or it doesn't. It can not make your audio/video any better than the source it is coming from.

EDIT: The cables you reference are active cables which is a bit of an overkill for runs less than 10'. The specs mention 18Gbps but there is no mention of how that is determined or if it is even certified.

Last edited by Otto Pylot; 01-31-2017 at 09:44 PM.
post #6 of 29 Old 02-01-2017, 05:04 AM

It's just an example to recommend a vendor and a provide a price comparison.
post #7 of 29 Old 07-22-2017, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
AudioQuest HDMI cables are great!

High end cables of any kind, from Audioquest or Synergistic Research for example, absolutely make noticeable improvements
in audio and video. One should buy what ever one's wallet and sound/video values permit. People that say high end cables make no difference have poor listening skills or hearing and/or have never heard these type of cables.

Having eyes and ears, and the other two senses too, does not make a person observant. Being able to eat food, or hear sound, or see does not instantly make a person observant. Practice makes perfect. Observing the details and changes that happen over time with audio and video hones the skills needed to appreciate what high end cable manufacturers create. They know what they are doing!

If you have good listening and viewing skills and so can see and hear differences in video and audio reproductions, then try the Audioquest Cinnamon HDMI. It will please you as you watch and/ or listen to your system. If you can afford the Vodka HDMI
cable, by all means get it. If your visual or audio observation skills are poor, then a better reproduction of video or audio will be difficult, and probably unimportant to you, so don't even read about better cables.

I am using the Diamond HDMI cable. It was like getting an upgrade on my top of the line Sony displays. Brighter, better contrast, blacks, more 3D, transparency, etc.
Overall, these changes, with the Audioquest HDMI upgrade was very natural. I found the Wireworld cables overly etched and not natural the way they changed the images and audio.

Give it a try.
post #8 of 29 Old 07-23-2017, 03:17 PM

^^^^^ The signal is digital. Either it works without issues or it doesn't. The cable is just a conduit. It can not add something that is not there to begin with. AudioQuest, Monster, et al make fine cables, but their high price is not justifiable.
jautor, jermar and helvetica bold like this.
post #9 of 29 Old 07-24-2017, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonmoon View Post
High end cables of any kind, from Audioquest or Synergistic Research for example, absolutely make noticeable improvements
in audio and video.

I am using the Diamond HDMI cable. It was like getting an upgrade on my top of the line Sony displays. Brighter, better contrast, blacks, more 3D, transparency, etc.
LOL! Send your unused AQ HDMI cables to the poster to test/evaluate for themselves. Any good retailer/vendor should jump at that opportunity!

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #10 of 29 Old 07-24-2017, 12:29 PM

Very closed minded, hostile, rude, and oppositional comments on the original question, someone interested in better video/audio playback with hdmi high end cable.

Either the original poster wanted to hear "no, no, no!" or they were genuinely interested in forum members "experience" with high end cables.

I was wrong to think that this was a place for these kind of questions. If a member replies to such a query with hostility, why would anyone ask for advice?
post #11 of 29 Old 07-24-2017, 01:13 PM

^^^^ high end cables are fine if one wants to spend the money but they can not "improve" pq/aq. The cable is just a data pipe, nothing more. If you get drop outs, pops, sparkles, etc then the cable isn't delivering. If you get clean video and audio then that's the best you can do. A cable can not clean up the signal or improve on it. There is a limit to what humans can see and hear. If cable "specs" exceed those limits, that's fine, but you're paying for something you can't see or hear. If you think you are getting superior a/v that you can perceptibly see and hear, more power to you.
post #12 of 29 Old 07-24-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Very closed minded, hostile, rude, and oppositional comments on the original question, someone interested in better video/audio playback with hdmi high end cable.

Either the original poster wanted to hear "no, no, no!" or they were genuinely interested in forum members "experience" with high end cables.

I was wrong to think that this was a place for these kind of questions. If a member replies to such a query with hostility, why would anyone ask for advice?
Wah!
No hostility, rudeness, or closed mindedness intended. Although, oppositional experiences/opinion should be encouraged. There's always a difference of opinions when asking for advice.

EDIT:
The OP hasn't been back since February, so it's probably either not an issue or has been resolved.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein

Last edited by Ratman; 07-24-2017 at 02:02 PM.
post #13 of 29 Old 07-24-2017, 02:12 PM

+1
post #14 of 29 Old 07-30-2017, 04:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
in audio and video. One should buy what ever one's wallet and sound/video values permit. People that say high end cables make no difference have poor listening skills or hearing and/or have never heard these type of cables.

Having eyes and ears, and the other two senses too, does not make a person observant. Being able to eat food, or hear sound, or see does not instantly make a person observant. Practice makes perfect. Observing the details and changes that happen over time with audio and video hones the skills needed to appreciate what high end cable manufacturers create. They know what they are doing!

If you have good listening and viewing skills and so can see and hear differences in video and audio reproductions, then try the Audioquest Cinnamon HDMI. It will please you as you watch and/ or listen to your system. If you can afford the Vodka HDMI
cable, by all means get it. If your visual or audio observation skills are poor, then a better reproduction of video or audio will be difficult, and probably unimportant to you, so don't even read about better cables.

Overall, these changes, with the Audioquest HDMI upgrade was very natural. I found the Wireworld cables overly etched and not natural the way they changed the images and audio.

Give it a try.
I am contemplating buying some AudioQuest power cords, the NRG-2 to her exact for my subwoofer, 2 line conditioners, 2 amps and processor. My current generic power cords that came with the equipment are way to long for my setup so i am going to see if power cords make a difference. I can get a 25% discount on Audioquest stuff so some 3' power cords are in my future. I use Audioquest Mackenzie RCA connects, type 4 and type 2 speaker cable and like them all. Unfortunately AQ's HDMI cables that are CL3/CL4 rated are 13' long and I need about 5' shorter. I have considered buying two of 0.6m Carbon HDMI cables for my Oppo 203 and cable box because my 4' ones are to long. I am well aware that forum members are big fans of Blue Jeans and Monoprice which is fine. I had a Monoprice HDMI cable and optical cable and both feel apart so I moved on.
post #15 of 29 Old 07-30-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-T View Post
I am contemplating buying some AudioQuest power cords, the NRG-2 to her exact for my subwoofer, 2 line conditioners, 2 amps and processor. My current generic power cords that came with the equipment are way to long for my setup so i am going to see if power cords make a difference. I can get a 25% discount on Audioquest stuff so some 3' power cords are in my future. I use Audioquest Mackenzie RCA connects, type 4 and type 2 speaker cable and like them all. Unfortunately AQ's HDMI cables that are CL3/CL4 rated are 13' long and I need about 5' shorter. I have considered buying two of 0.6m Carbon HDMI cables for my Oppo 203 and cable box because my 4' ones are to long. I am well aware that forum members are big fans of Blue Jeans and Monoprice which is fine. I had a Monoprice HDMI cable and optical cable and both feel apart so I moved on.
--------
Yeah the Carbon hdmi would give you a good upgrade. Vodka would be noticeably better. All depends on your budget and how much you appreciate good video and audio playback. Audioquest is an excellent brand. Vann's online has a super price on Carbon hdmi and is a reputable dealer

I have not used Audioquest power cords. I use Synergistic Research almost exclusively. I always buy used so can get them for half price or less.
ebay is a good place to shop, but the UsedCable site is great too and you can phone them an make an offer.

Actually, the Synergistic Research Tesla Plex SE duplex receptacle is one serious upgrade at $90 new (can find them used, people keep them).
I have had several high end power conditioners and found that the Tesla Plex was a great upgrade especially if you have not high end cables yet.
So starting with the wall outlet, then get a decent high end multioutlet strip and then get power cords, starting with your front end equipment like
digital player, preamp, DAC, those front end components. But the outlet receptacle and then a power strip of the high end category will upgrade everything
thats plugged into it, including your TV/display monitor.

Let me know if you want any leads on what to get, and give me a budget limit. best regards,

ps I offered a guy on Audiogon who always has the Tesla Plex for sale a $90 delivered price to me in CA and he sold it to me.
post #16 of 29 Old 07-30-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkratt14 View Post
Need to buy a few HDMI cables that will give my Anthem Receiver, Oppo 203, LG OLED, and Paradigm's the best possible picture and sound. Is it worth it to pull the trigger on these? Also, is there any serious difference between the Pearl, Forrest, and Cinnamon options?

The cables that Audioquest sells all get progressively better as you go up the line and cost goes up too. So the 3 you mention are in order of quality playback, the Cinnamon being the best. I have found that it is best to spend a little more on cables than I would want to, as long as they are from quality manufacturers like Audioquest, Synergistic Research, Wireworld and others.

The Audioquest line ups on any type of cable are very accurate with gradual and sometimes dramatic improvements as you go up the line. So just think of a slightly high budget and buy used if possible. Always make an offer even if it is a new cable. Vann's online sells these AQ HDMI cables at great prices, for New cables. Used HDMI cables are harder to find than other types of cables, so I would probably buy from Vann's since the new cables are heavily discounted.

Vodka is quite a bit better, in another high fidelity league really, when compared to the cables beneath it.
post #17 of 29 Old 08-03-2017, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 941
Quote:
The Audioquest line ups on any type of cable are very accurate with gradual and sometimes dramatic improvements as you go up the line. So just think of a slightly high budget and buy used if possible. Always make an offer even if it is a new cable. Vann's online sells these AQ HDMI cables at great prices, for New cables. Used HDMI cables are harder to find than other types of cables, so I would probably buy from Vann's since the new cables are heavily discounted.

Vodka is quite a bit better, in another high fidelity league really, when compared to the cables beneath it.
Buy used? Is that so you don't have to go through the hassle of breaking in a new cable?
Ratman, Otto Pylot and zaphod7501 like this.

🔥🔥🔥 Sent from my Samsung Note 7 Using Ove Glove™ 🔥🔥🔥
post #18 of 29 Old 08-04-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post
Buy used? Is that so you don't have to go through the hassle of breaking in a new cable?
Good question. I buy used instead of new because the cable prices are usually 50-70% lower. So to save money.
I always make sure the cable is genuine, for example Audioquest, made by the manufacturer and purchased from a dealer
or the cable seller is a dealer selling a demo or trade in cable.

Cables do sound better more or less when they are broken in, but when it is a solid manufacturer like Audioquest, Synergistic Research, or Tara Labs, then the upgraded cable will sound better even not broken in.

So now worry about breaking in a cable, especially if it is a serious upgrade. It will sound or show video better. Used will save you money for that next purchase or other treat.
post #19 of 29 Old 08-04-2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Cables do sound better more or less when they are broken in, but when it is a solid manufacturer like Audioquest, Synergistic Research, or Tara Labs, then the upgraded cable will sound better even not broken in.
B.S. Period.
Ratman and olyteddy like this.
post #20 of 29 Old 08-05-2017, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

Oh my! I totally forgot my BBcode tags on that one! Here's the corrected version:

[SnakeOil]Buy used? Is that so you don't have to go through the hassle of breaking in a new cable?[/SnakeOil]

🔥🔥🔥 Sent from my Samsung Note 7 Using Ove Glove™ 🔥🔥🔥
post #21 of 29 Old 08-05-2017, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 310
https://www.cnet.com/news/when-shoul...y-hdmi-cables/

"There's no improvement to be had with more expensive cables. It's either all or nothing. The most likely scenario, if your cable can't handle the resolution you want, is the image either won't appear at all, it will flicker or cut out or, a pretty common case, your source will revert to a lower resolution."
post #22 of 29 Old 08-05-2017, 12:14 PM

^^^^^ thanks for the link. That's what we've been saying for a long time. But some folks just want to justify paying for overpriced cables by convincing themselves that audio and video fidelity is improved with a high priced cable.
post #23 of 29 Old 08-06-2017, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
--------
Yeah the Carbon hdmi would give you a good upgrade. Vodka would be noticeably better. All depends on your budget and how much you appreciate good video and audio playback. Audioquest is an excellent brand. Vann's online has a super price on Carbon hdmi and is a reputable dealer

I have not used Audioquest power cords. I use Synergistic Research almost exclusively. I always buy used so can get them for half price or less.
ebay is a good place to shop, but the UsedCable site is great too and you can phone them an make an offer.

Actually, the Synergistic Research Tesla Plex SE duplex receptacle is one serious upgrade at $90 new (can find them used, people keep them).
I have had several high end power conditioners and found that the Tesla Plex was a great upgrade especially if you have not high end cables yet.
So starting with the wall outlet, then get a decent high end multioutlet strip and then get power cords, starting with your front end equipment like
digital player, preamp, DAC, those front end components. But the outlet receptacle and then a power strip of the high end category will upgrade everything
thats plugged into it, including your TV/display monitor.

Let me know if you want any leads on what to get, and give me a budget limit. best regards,

ps I offered a guy on Audiogon who always has the Tesla Plex for sale a $90 delivered price to me in CA and he sold it to me.

I can buy a $90 receptacle and a $200 power cord? Is that what my system has been missing all this time???

One question though, shouldn't I also upgrade the $3 worth of copper feeding that outlet? What about the $5 breaker, and why not go for broke, call up the power company and tell them I need solid silver conductors from the substation ran to the house. But that doesn't matter right? Its that last 3 feet that makes or breaks it. The thousands of feet before it have absolutely no effect whatsoever?

Whoever is spending money on power cords is stupid. Oh, and hdmi cables too. We don't live in an analog world anymore guys.
jautor, olyteddy and duckymomo like this.
post #24 of 29 Old 08-06-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjohnson1717 View Post
I can buy a $90 receptacle and a $200 power cord? Is that what my system has been missing all this time???

One question though, shouldn't I also upgrade the $3 worth of copper feeding that outlet? What about the $5 breaker, and why not go for broke, call up the power company and tell them I need solid silver conductors from the substation ran to the house. But that doesn't matter right? Its that last 3 feet that makes or breaks it. The thousands of feet before it have absolutely no effect whatsoever?

Whoever is spending money on power cords is stupid. Oh, and hdmi cables too. We don't live in an analog world anymore guys.
An idiot thinks and makes decisions like an idiot and believes what he is doing makes sense. Congratulations, rude and stupid
awards goes to you and those who are like you, your buddies surely, who like peeing on anyones parade, ridiculing anyone who
seems to be confident or content, as that is unachievable for you all.

thanks to the cowardly commentators who spoil the fun.
post #25 of 29 Old 08-06-2017, 12:54 PM

I actually just decided to look that outlet up.

"The Synergistic Research TESLA Plex SE is Synergistic Research's Quantum Tunneled duplex outlet. Quantum Tunneling is a process that changes the way a conductor works at the sub atomic level, impacting the entire TESLA Plex SE assembly. By applying a two million volt signal to each individual unit, at a specific pulse modulation and an ultra high frequency, for an exact duration of time, transforming the outlet at the molecular level. This process is also performed on all cables, from the Core series to the Galileo series. The “before and after” is startling, with a lower noise floor and improvements in inner detail, air, low frequency extension, and overall transparency."

2 million volts, and quantum tunneling? Well sign me up, if it's quantum it must be good! What a steal at $90!

If only they said 1.21 jiggawatts I might just have turned over my life savings for this outlet!

post #26 of 29 Old 08-06-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
An idiot thinks and makes decisions like an idiot and believes what he is doing makes sense. Congratulations, rude and stupid
awards goes to you and those who are like you, your buddies surely, who like peeing on anyones parade, ridiculing anyone who
seems to be confident or content, as that is unachievable for you all.

thanks to the cowardly commentators who spoil the fun.
Well i would hope that idiots act like idiots, that is after all what makes them idiots in the first place right? Maybe I should apply some quantum tunneling to said idiots, that should help to clear things up.

Actually the only one who seems to not be having fun is you, all the commentators appears to be having a laugh or two.
post #27 of 29 Old 08-06-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
An idiot thinks and makes decisions like an idiot and believes what he is doing makes sense.
True! Decisions or beliefs don't always make sense... even to one that decides or believes they are not an idiot. Does that make sense?

post #28 of 29 Old 08-06-2017, 02:05 PM

I think somebody made a bad decision and is now trying to make themselves feel better. It's his money and he can choose to spend it how he sees fit. But he will never be able to convince anyone here that he will get better PQ/AQ with overpriced cabling.
post #29 of 29 Old 08-06-2017, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked: 852

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page