1Likes
  • 1 Post By olyteddy

post #1 of 4 Old 02-04-2017, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Wireless TV distribution

Not sure if this is the correct area of the forum for this question.

I have Verizon FIOS TV with a set top box in my family room. The STB is connected to my family room TV with HDMI, but it also has component video and RF out ports. I have a small TV in the kitchen which is probably 15 ft from the family room TV with a wall in between. I connected the kitchen TV to the STB via the in-home coax wiring. The in-house coax is all home run from a single location on the side of my house.

So to connect the small TV I had to connect the coax from the family room to the STB RF out then on the side of my house I cross connected to the coax to the kitchen. So I end up with a coax run of probably 65-70 feet. The TV works but quite often it get into heavy static/snow mode. To correct this, I have to disconnect the coax from the back of the kitchen TV and it correct the picture for a time, but then get messed up again.

I do not have the need to watch a different channel on the Kitchen TV. I am considering using one of the wireless transmission set ups.

Is this the best solution for my problem? If so, I would like recommendations on the bet set up. I found recommendation on a IOGEAR wireless setup by searching this forum, but when I research, this system seems to get very mixed reviews.

Is there a better solution than wireless using my existing in-house coax? The least expensive solution would be to simply run a direct coax from the STB to the kitchen TV, but that is not practical since I would have to get into the walls behind my kitchen cabinets.

Thanks in advance,

Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-04-2017, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 941
75' of coax at ch.3 is not too much loss. If I were you I'd find the bad connection and fix it.
egnlsn likes this.

🔥🔥🔥 Sent from my Samsung Note 7 Using Ove Glove™ 🔥🔥🔥
post #3 of 4 Old 02-04-2017, 08:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 46
If disconnecting from the kitchen TV fixes the problem for awhile, I suspect a bad connection on the cable in the kitchen.

post #4 of 4 Old 02-05-2017, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have re-done the connections as best I can. I have not gone so far as to cut off the connector ends of the coax and crimped new connectors. I can try that. I think I have pretty much changed everything in the run except the in-house wiring. I also have in-house coax that was installed to home run to the attic for an off-air antenna. There is a separate cable running to the same locations as the coax that home runs to the outside of the house (this was originally installed for Cable TV). I originally had the kitchen TV looping through the attic coax, and I had the same problem. I moved to the other coax since it made for a short overall run.

When the kitchen TV goes into the snow/static mode, I can disconnect the short coax at the wall outlet or the back of the TV and then reconnect and the picture will clear up. I have also replaced this short coax.

Can anyone explain to me what is happening to cause the snow/static? TV is working fine then suddenly the picture get snow/static.

Thanks again,

Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page