Getting US analog TV signal into a UK TV - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-07-2017, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Getting US analog TV signal into a UK TV

I moved to the US a number of years ago and brought my UK plamsa TV with me as the voltage was compatible and it accepts NTSC as well as UK PAL input signals. However, I have never been able to inject the analog RF TV signal from my Dish ViP722 receiver direct into the the TV as I think the channel spacing is different, i.e. when running the autotune function I get a good picture for a fraction of a second before the tuner moves on doesn't store the station.

My solution has been to use an old VCR to tune in to the RF signal from the Dish box and then using a composite lead to get the video into my TV. The RF output from the Dish box is in SD and I also lose the widescreen formatting (back to 4:3) so the picture isn't great. Fortunately the VCR I was using had stereo audio output so the sound was acceptable. Well, last night the VCR died and I had to replace it with an even older model I had lying around. The picture is even worse and the mono sound is terrible.

Now I could just cough up for the Dish Hopper with Joey and have great HD video and audio for an extra $7 a month. But I'm cheap. My wife is even cheaper.

So I'm looking for an inexpensive way to get the RF signal into my TV via something a little more modern and less clunky. My first thought was to use a HDTV receiver with a HDMI output to the TV but I don't know if the receiver will pick up the analog signal from the ViP722 box.

Might that work or is there another simple (cheap) solution...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-07-2017, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

I should add, this TV is used in the bedroom which is why I don't plug directly into the HDMI of the ViP722.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-07-2017, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I'm puzzled why you're not using the composite video out from the TiVo?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

post #4 of 8 Old 02-07-2017, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

The TV is the "2nd TV" and is only served by RF (Ant) output of the ViP722. All other outputs (HDMI, Composite) are for "1st TV", located in the same room and the ViP722.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-08-2017, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Are you sure the tuner is configured for NTSC? NTSC channels are 6MHz wide, while PAL channels are 8MHz.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-08-2017, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by egnlsn View Post
Are you sure the tuner is configured for NTSC? NTSC channels are 6MHz wide, while PAL channels are 8MHz.
I can't say that for sure, I can only confirm that if I attempt to auto tune in to a NTSC RF signal from the Dish box, I do see a full color, undistorted picture for a fraction of a second but the TV doesn't store and there is no manual channel setting. I can also confirm that a video signal from an NTSC source works fine.

The TV is a LG 42PQ6000 and is around 7 years old now. Not the greatest but I love the design, just a single piece of frameless glass from the front. I even looked for a firmware update that might assist with the US tuning but can't find anything.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-08-2017, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Try following the manual tune instructions found in the owners manual. Manual available online, Google it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #8 of 8 Old 02-09-2017, 06:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1487 Post(s)
Liked: 1191
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

Tags
analog , pal , receiver , signal