Can anything Decode with a CableCard without Selecting a channel? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-19-2017, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can anything Decode with a CableCard without Selecting a channel?

My parents have not gone HD yet, and have no plans to do so any time soon. I gave them my old Series 2 TiVo when I went HD several years ago, and they subsequently bought a lifetime subscription on this TiVo, so they don't want to switch to another DVR. Everything worked fine until their cable company (Charter) switched to a digital signal.

Now they cannot use their cable without a cable box to decode the digital signal. I set up the TiVo to interface with their cable box and change the channel, but it still can only read one channel at a time, which defeats the dual-channel-input feature of the Series 2 TiVo. Even worse, the channel change works about 90% of the time, which means sometimes they try to record a show and end up with a recording of the wrong channel.

When I talked to their cable company, one suggestion they had was to use a Cable Card instead of the cable box. The series 2 TiVo does not accept Cable Cards (that started with series 3), so I have been looking for other devices. But every stand-alone device I can find which accepts a Cable Card comes with its own tuner, and only outputs the selected channel. To make this work with the Series 2 TiVo, I would need a device which outputs an undifferentiated analog signal, so that the TiVo downstream of it can be the tuner, otherwise I would have the same problem as the cable box.

Is there a decoder like I am envisioning, which uses a Cable Card to decode the cable's digital signal to an undifferentiated analog signal, or is there any other possible solution which I have not considered? I've tried searching this site and the internet in general for this type of decoder, but all of the key-words I can think of show up in a lot of web-sites which talk about other things entirely. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-19-2017, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Bite the bullet, ditch the he old TiVo and get a new Bolt. No other solution to have the TiVo record shows automatically.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #3 of 8 Old 02-19-2017, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Check with the cable company to see if they have digital to analog converters.

Last edited by HDMI Guy; 02-20-2017 at 10:52 AM.

post #4 of 8 Old 02-21-2017, 05:43 PM

A D to A converter (usually called a cable box or DTA) will still only output one channel at a time. A CableCard equipped TiVo can record multiple channels at one time, digital or analog.

post #5 of 8 Old 02-26-2017, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMI Guy View Post
Check with the cable company to see if they have digital to analog converters.

I have checked. They do not.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-26-2017, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDICKEY View Post
A D to A converter (usually called a cable box or DTA) will still only output one channel at a time. A CableCard equipped TiVo can record multiple channels at one time, digital or analog.

I use a CableCard TiVo (Series 3) in my own system. It works great.

All of the decoders I found output only one channel at a time. My purpose in posting here is to see if there were any other products available I had missed.

I also saw a number of CableCard decoders set up to run in a PC, normally intended for applications where the PC itself is the DVR. Not optimal, but if something like that could also be set up to give me my undifferentiated analog output, that may be workable as well. Is there really no way to convert digital to undifferentiated analog?
post #7 of 8 Old 02-26-2017, 03:01 PM

No. A "Multi-Stream" CableCARD (M-Card) can decode up to six channels simultaneously. You can use them with Ceton PC tuners and modern TiVo devices.

post #8 of 8 Old 02-26-2017, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingDecoder View Post
I use a CableCard TiVo (Series 3) in my own system. It works great.

All of the decoders I found output only one channel at a time. My purpose in posting here is to see if there were any other products available I had missed.

I also saw a number of CableCard decoders set up to run in a PC, normally intended for applications where the PC itself is the DVR. Not optimal, but if something like that could also be set up to give me my undifferentiated analog output, that may be workable as well. Is there really no way to convert digital to undifferentiated analog?
Samsung made a Smart Media Player GX-SM530CF that uses a cable card and basically replaces a cable box. This box has been out of production for at least two years now but some may be hanging around used. I have one in a spare bedroom and it works fine. This box has no DVR function and the guide from a third party is unreliable. This box has only an HDMI out so it may not work for them.

Last edited by HDMI Guy; 03-14-2017 at 11:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page