In Addition To Streaming & 4K Content...? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By SPDICKEY
  • 1 Post By SPDICKEY

post #1 of 10 Old 02-26-2017, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 97
In Addition To Streaming & 4K Content...?

Okay, I have had cable and satellite in one form or the other for decades, like everyone else in the civilized world. Netflix and other streaming has taken on a good chunk of my viewing, but things are getting a little complicated, so this looks like the right forum to ask. So I am currently investing in and piecing together a home theater system, with the Sony XBR75X940D TV as the centerpiece. I have a Denon receiver now, and am going for 7.1 surround, with a PS4 Pro and an Xbox One S, both for gaming and 4K content.

I have an antenna for broadcast HD.

So the big question is, since both Fios and Optimum seem to only be offering resolutions of 720p and 1080i, is there ANY point to cable anymore? It seems like the tech is now absurdly antiquated. Hell, both FIOS and Optimum still use the same coax cables in-home that I was buying from Radio Shack about 30 years ago! I just got off the phone with FIOS and they informed me that if I switched to them (I have Optimum Internet now) they would be utilizing the very same coax cable that already exists from the street to my bedroom, and from there to my living room, that was installed I think 25 years ago.

lol No wonder they are limited to 1080i!

So is this it? Is this the best that "pay TV" can do now? I may have to go with it anyway if I want to watch MLB and NHL games, but is Satellite any better? Anything with DSL? Or am I going to be basically locked into paying these companies between $100.00 and $200.00 a month for broadcast quality that I was getting before the turn of the new millennium?

I mean, if so, okay. I will have to suck it up until something better comes along. I am not looking to cut off my nose to spite my face here. But I was wondering if there was something better than what Optimum or FIOS are offering in terms of premium TV?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-26-2017, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 102
All broadcast programming is 720p or 1080p. You'll get UHD right now only via disk or internet streaming. Get the best internet you can. DSL isn't it. Coax can carry up to 300 Mbps now and higher in the future. Go cable plus a 4K Roku.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
egnlsn likes this.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-26-2017, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDICKEY View Post
All broadcast programming is 720p or 1080p. You'll get UHD right now only via disk or internet streaming. Get the best internet you can. DSL isn't it. Coax can carry up to 300 Mbps now and higher in the future. Go cable plus a 4K Roku.

I had a feeling. However, since I want to watch NY Rangers and Yankees games and have access to premium movie channels, its looking more and more like cable/Fios/Satellite TV is what I am stuck with now as far as premium TV. As for 4K, I have a PS4 Pro and an XBox One S. And I know that the Sony XBR75X940D has good apps for streaming as well. So I doubt I will need a Roku device, though I bought one for my Mom for Christmas on her regular HD set which she uses for Netflix and she loves it.

post #4 of 10 Old 02-26-2017, 08:33 PM

Amazon Video and Netflix 4K content is wonderful.

egnlsn likes this.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-26-2017, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I know that and have subscriptions to both. I was specifically asking if any Premium Cable/Satellite/Fiber-Optic was available that is any better than the ones I mentioned. Again, I am well aware of the virtue of streaming 4K content, and I fully intend to avail myself of that as well as regular premium TV and sports broadcasts.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-26-2017, 08:45 PM

4K TV broadcasts are coming: here’s what you need to know

https://www.google.com/amp/www.theve...pai-atsc-3-hdr

post #7 of 10 Old 02-27-2017, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
4K TV broadcasts are coming: here’s what you need to know

https://www.google.com/amp/www.theve...pai-atsc-3-hdr

Thanks! I don't see a time frame for this, so I am guessing its at least a few years off? And am I right in assuming that if I still have the Sony XBR75X940D I just ordered, that this would only effect the tuner and broadcast TV, and not cable, satellite, or other pay TV? And likewise, I would assume this would have nothing to do with streaming from Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc.? Thanks again for the link.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-27-2017, 09:51 AM

As the article said, 2K broadcasts will continue to service existing TVs. New tuners or cable boxes (connected to that coax you disparaged) will be needed to receive the 4K signals. Just like the digital transition we did a few years ago.

post #9 of 10 Old 03-02-2017, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Indeed.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-11-2017, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiroVette View Post
Okay, I have had cable and satellite in one form or the other for decades, like everyone else in the civilized world.I have an antenna for broadcast HD.

So the big question is, since both Fios and Optimum seem to only be offering resolutions of 720p and 1080i, is there ANY point to cable anymore? It seems like the tech is now absurdly antiquated. Hell, both FIOS and Optimum still use the same coax cables in-home that I was buying from Radio Shack about 30 years ago! I just got off the phone with FIOS and they informed me that if I switched to them (I have Optimum Internet now) they would be utilizing the very same coax cable that already exists from the street to my bedroom, and from there to my living room, that was installed I think 25 years ago.

lol No wonder they are limited to 1080i!
DirecTV does have a dedicated 4K channel, but it gets to the receiver via coax, so I guess that means it's not really 4K?

The issue is more content than it is delivery method. There's not really that much 4K content out there. 4K via r.f. uses an awful lot of bandwidth, which the coaxial cable can handle, but when fewer than 5% of subscribers out there even have 4K TVs and there is such limited content, it's not feasible to put a full time 4K channel on a cable system.

They've been running some testing of ATSC 3.0, and it's been doing rather well, if I remember correctly (haven't read up on it for awhile). Hopefully, it will become a standard soon. Even after it is adopted, though, it still will be some years afterward that we'll see it widespread.

Until then, streaming is your best bet.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page