TV, A/V receiver & component hook-up question - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Squirrel!
  • 1 Post By HDMI Guy

post #1 of 3 Old 03-20-2017, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 47
TV, A/V receiver & component hook-up question

My current setup is this: Roku & Bluray player via HDMI to AVR, AVR via HDMI to TV, Tivo via HDMR to TV and Tivo via digital optical cable to AVR. This allows me to watch TV without turning on the AVR when I don't need the 5.1 setup (news, talk shows, etc.)

I'm getting a new TV that will have 4 HDMI inputs (only have 2 now). Wondering if I should run all 3 components directly to the TV via HDMI and take the optical out of the TV and run it into the receiver. This will allow me to watch anything without turning on the AVR if I don't want to (and also make it easier for my better half since she's confused by the multiple remotes.) It shouldn't make any difference in the 5.1 sound if the various outputs are going to the receiver directly or through the TV pass-through, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-20-2017, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Run everything thru the AVR then the AVR thru HDMI to the TV. DOn't worry about the 3 remaining HDMI inputs.

Just get a Harmony remote and quit fartin around.
egnlsn likes this.

Main: Mitsubishi 73736 DLP|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|2 - DIY Class G 540w 12" Subs|2 Aura Bass Shakers|APC H15|Harmony 720|TP-Link Archer C7|Linksys SE2500|50+ OTA Channels

MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTVstick 2|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Phantom|Dayton Audio SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin PF30|Belkin Bridge|Harmony 550
post #3 of 3 Old 03-22-2017, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmacmil View Post
My current setup is this: Roku & Bluray player via HDMI to AVR, AVR via HDMI to TV, Tivo via HDMR to TV and Tivo via digital optical cable to AVR. This allows me to watch TV without turning on the AVR when I don't need the 5.1 setup (news, talk shows, etc.)

I'm getting a new TV that will have 4 HDMI inputs (only have 2 now). Wondering if I should run all 3 components directly to the TV via HDMI and take the optical out of the TV and run it into the receiver. This will allow me to watch anything without turning on the AVR if I don't want to (and also make it easier for my better half since she's confused by the multiple remotes.) It shouldn't make any difference in the 5.1 sound if the various outputs are going to the receiver directly or through the TV pass-through, right?
It will make a difference in the 5.1 sound. Most TVs will not pass 5.1 sound out except when using the TVs internal tuner which you are not doing. Either connect everything the way you have it now or run everything to the AVR and get a Harmony remote as indicated by Squirrel.
lmacmil likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page