I'm sick and tired of FIOS's quantum boxes, HD Homerun or Tivo now? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By javi404
  • 1 Post By Ken.F

post #1 of 7 Old 03-25-2017, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm sick and tired of FIOS's quantum boxes, HD Homerun or Tivo now?

I have 4 users (one of which is on a slingbox remotely)

So I would like to have 6 tuners like the TiVo Bolt+ but it is a little steep for something with a 3TB drive + esata (I can buy my own esata drive).....

... or the HD HomeRun which has 3 tuners (which will cause DVR conflict problems) but allows me to record to iSCSI over the network which means I will have 16TB of storage for DVR content (another issue that comes up in my home is the fios DVR is always 90% full)

So my question, which one, or is there some other box that can take a cable card, do I want to migrate to?

What are your experiences with the HD HomeRun and/or the TiVo?

EDIT: HD HomeRun has 3 tuners, not 4.

Last edited by javi404; 03-27-2017 at 08:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-27-2017, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by javi404 View Post
I have 4 users (one of which is on a slingbox remotely)

So I would like to have 6 tuners like the TiVo Bolt+ but it is a little steep for something with a 3TB drive + esata (I can buy my own esata drive).....

... or the HD HomeRun which has 4 tuners (which will cause DVR conflict problems) but allows me to record to iSCSI over the network which means I will have 16TB of storage for DVR content (another issue that comes up in my home is the fios DVR is always 90% full)

So my question, which one, or is there some other box that can take a cable card, do I want to migrate to?

What are your experiences with the HD HomeRun and/or the TiVo?
I do not see an HD HomeRun that has more than three tuners.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-27-2017, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1729 Post(s)
Liked: 1574
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMI Guy View Post
I do not see an HD HomeRun that has more than three tuners.
True, but you can add as many tuner devices as you want. I have two HDHomeRun Primes (three tuners each) and two HDHomeRun Connects (two tuners each) for a total of 10 tuners. I rent a CableCARD for each of the Prime devices to receive my full FiOS subscription and I have the Connect devices on FiOS QAM receiving the local channels. I record a lot of shows from the local channels so having the 4 extra Connect tuners is a big help in keeping the 6 Prime tuners available for recording shows and movies that are on the cable networks.

post #4 of 7 Old 03-27-2017, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
True, but you can add as many tuner devices as you want. I have two HDHomeRun Primes (three tuners each) and two HDHomeRun Connects (two tuners each) for a total of 10 tuners. I rent a CableCARD for each of the Prime devices to receive my full FiOS subscription and I have the Connect devices on FiOS QAM receiving the local channels. I record a lot of shows from the local channels so having the 4 extra Connect tuners is a big help in keeping the 6 Prime tuners available for recording shows and movies that are on the cable networks.
I agree but I thought the original poster was suggesting one device had four tuners. He stated the HD HomeRun which has 4 tuners.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-27-2017, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMI Guy View Post
I agree but I thought the original poster was suggesting one device had four tuners. He stated the HD HomeRun which has 4 tuners.

Thanks for catching that. Yeah I made a mistake, it has 3 not 4. Corrected in original post.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-27-2017, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
I have two HDHomeRun Primes (three tuners each) and two HDHomeRun Connects (two tuners each) for a total of 10 tuners.

I think this is exactly what I want to do. Maybe just one Connect for OTA broadcasts since I have an antenna as well.

How is it managing all of these devices?

Do they integrate well?

I also plan on saving/recording to an iSCSI device on the NAS since it seems like that is possible.
I could make a 10TB block device for it that way.
HDMI Guy likes this.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-28-2017, 05:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1729 Post(s)
Liked: 1574
Quote:
Originally Posted by javi404 View Post
How is it managing all of these devices?

Do they integrate well?
I'm using them with the HDHomeRun DVR system with the recording software running directly on a cheap WD MyCloud NAS. It's nice not having a PC running all the time to make recordings. I'm not sure what kind of NAS you have but you might be able to use it for recording as well. The NAS requirements are x86 or ARM based CPU, 256MB RAM minimum, must be running Linux, must support SSH access.

The HDHR DVR system still isn't finished but you can buy into the early access program if you don't mind some limitations and bugs. The DVR system automatically finds the tuner devices on the home network so there isn't much hardware managing to do once it's set up. I've been using it since the first test release was available in June 2015. It has come a long way since then but they still have more to do.

When mixing tuner device types the OTA/QAM channel numbers will be different than the cable channel numbers. They will be listed separately in the channel guide so when watching live TV you can choose the OTA channels or cable channels independently. The record engine will automatically attempt to record from the OTA tuners before the cable tuners if the program to be recorded is available from both devices at the same time.

DRM protected channels aren't working with the DVR system yet. The Windows 10 and X-Box One clients can watch DRM protected channels live, but no recording at this time. Silicondust is working hard at fully supporting DRM for recorded and live TV on Windows 10, X-Box One, Mac and Android TV client devices. This isn't a big problem for me since the only DRM protected channels on FiOS are HBO, Cinemax, and the cable networks owned by FOX (FX, FXX, FOX News, FOX Business, etc). The local FOX networks are not DRM protected. Some cable providers have DRM protection on most of their channels so getting DRM working correctly is important to Silicondust.

The biggest drawback for many is the lack of a traditional grid guide. They have a live TV guide that pops out from the right side of the screen that they call "slices". It's sort of like looking at the first column of a grid guide. You can pull out the slice for each channel further to see what's on later, but you can't pull out the whole grid at once. You can search for programs by name and they have separate discovery sections where TV series, movies and sports programs are listed. You can hide individual programs you know you won't ever watch or record so they won't show up in the discovery section again. That takes a while to do but it makes the discovery section much easier to use going forward.

More info here:
https://www.silicondust.com/dvr-service/

If you watch the review video on the page linked above keep in mind that was a very early version of the software. It gives you a basic overview but there have been many features added since that video was created.
javi404 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page