Hauppuage Colossus 1/2 for TV recording - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 04-17-2017, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hauppuage Colossus 1/2 for TV recording

Hi. I am looking to purchase a Hauppuage Colossus to record my Comcast/ Directv. I have a few questions before I make the purchase. First, what is the difference between the Colossus, and the Colossus 2? Is the 2nd one worth the extra $10? Second, I am mainly purchasing this to schedule recordings, so can this automatically change TV channels for recordings? Third, would a different method, (possibly external ) work better for this task? Finally, is the Colossus even worth purchasing?

Sorry for all of the questions, but there aren't many topics on this.
Thank you in advance, and I appreciate any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Today, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Not Much Difference Colossus 1 vs 2

Colossus 2 will accept and pass through 1080P/60 (the 60 is frames per second). However it records 1080P/60 as 1080P/30. Colossus 1 will only accept and record 1080i/60 (lower resolutions are the same for both cards). Whether 1080P/30 is better than 1080I is not really clear - a consensus view is that 1080i/60 is less choppy for fast moving scenes - although may be a bit blurrier. I upgraded to Colossus 2 because occasionally I get sources that are 1080P/60 and the Colossus 1 card just shows a black screen - no warning as to what's wrong. Then I have to go into a menu on the source and down sample to 1080i/60, which is a pain to do. So with the Colossus 2, at least I don't have to switch. Also, a minor difference, but the Colossus 1 shipped with ArcSoft Showbiz for capture. Colossus 2 has similar functionality with Hauppauge Capture, which by the way, can also be downloaded to work with Colossus 1.

Hope that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

Tags
colossus , hauppauge , hauppauge colossus

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page