Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-29-2017, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Adding a 2GHz Splitter

I was trying to research to find out if the following is possible or not:

I have digital internet coming into my home than goes to a modem. Before it reaches the modem there is a threaded connector that the installer put in to split it to go to two different cable boxes that I use to have. I no longer have either one of them, I simply have just internet and stream everything through my computer or android box.
My question is, if I was to add a 2GHz splitter and attach one of the connectors to my TV, will I receive basic TV channels like the salesperson explained at the store. He explained that the TV signal is there and a basic splitter will lose the signal going to the TV. The 2GHz it maintain the strength of the signal and I would be able to view digital TV, it would just not be high def, which is not an issue.

Thank you for any help you can provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-29-2017, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdivitt View Post
I was trying to research to find out if the following is possible or not:

I have digital internet coming into my home than goes to a modem. Before it reaches the modem there is a threaded connector that the installer put in to split it to go to two different cable boxes that I use to have. I no longer have either one of them, I simply have just internet and stream everything through my computer or android box.
My question is, if I was to add a 2GHz splitter and attach one of the connectors to my TV, will I receive basic TV channels like the salesperson explained at the store. He explained that the TV signal is there and a basic splitter will lose the signal going to the TV. The 2GHz it maintain the strength of the signal and I would be able to view digital TV, it would just not be high def, which is not an issue.

Thank you for any help you can provide.
Yes or no. If your cable system is 100% digital a set top box is required for TV. If not you may get some analog and clear QAM channels.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #3 of 3 Old 04-29-2017, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1487 Post(s)
Liked: 1191
I'd suggest to just temporarily disconnect the modem, connect to cable directly to the TV, scan for channels and see what happens. If you get TV, get a splitter and coax.

A test will save you a few $$ for the cost of a new splitter and a coax cable.
(and... you shouldn't need 2GHz for cable. It won't hurt either.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page