Is my A B Switch dead?? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-07-2017, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Is my A B Switch dead??

So for as long as I can remember whenever the power goes out my A B Switch would default to A (Antenna). I would have to switch it back if needed.
Nothing bad about that.

But yesterday I noticed that my A B Switch was on A, but the power didn't go out. I didn't think any more of it. But when I tried switching it back it wouldn't work.
It flickered back to A. After a couple tries on the remote, I switched it on the box itself. It finally changed.

This morning it was working fine. But by this afternoon it was acting up again. This time I couldn't get it to change back.

I know the antenna works because I tested the antenna signal on my HDTV and it came in fine. I disconnected the Cable line from the back of the AB Switch and plugged it directly into the HDTV
and the cable works fine. The A B Switch works because I tested the remote & box again. It changes from A to B when clicked.

I attached a pic detailing how my setup was. How do I fix this problem? Has one of the Coax cables gone bad? Did TWC nix my signal for this tv?
Yes I do have Digital Cable and have a DVR connected in another room. This tv doesn't use a box.

The coax that was connected from the HDTV to the Switch is now being used HDTV to Cable IN.
While the coax that was connected from the Cable In to Switch B Connection is disconnected. Could it be that cable?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AB HELP.png
Views:	24
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	2264578  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-16-2017, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by IN2tvClassics View Post
So for as long as I can remember whenever the power goes out my A B Switch would default to A (Antenna). I would have to switch it back if needed.
Nothing bad about that.

But yesterday I noticed that my A B Switch was on A, but the power didn't go out. I didn't think any more of it. But when I tried switching it back it wouldn't work.
It flickered back to A. After a couple tries on the remote, I switched it on the box itself. It finally changed.

This morning it was working fine. But by this afternoon it was acting up again. This time I couldn't get it to change back.

I know the antenna works because I tested the antenna signal on my HDTV and it came in fine. I disconnected the Cable line from the back of the AB Switch and plugged it directly into the HDTV
and the cable works fine. The A B Switch works because I tested the remote & box again. It changes from A to B when clicked.

I attached a pic detailing how my setup was. How do I fix this problem? Has one of the Coax cables gone bad? Did TWC nix my signal for this tv?
Yes I do have Digital Cable and have a DVR connected in another room. This tv doesn't use a box.

The coax that was connected from the HDTV to the Switch is now being used HDTV to Cable IN.
While the coax that was connected from the Cable In to Switch B Connection is disconnected. Could it be that cable?
Is that power plug to the A / B switch one of the typical "wall-wart" DC adapters? If so, it may be putting out low or unstable power (often due to a weak capacitor).
post #3 of 5 Old 08-17-2017, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter

It's either a brick or lower profile similar to this one.

Yesterday morning my AB Switch was working fine. I decided to test out my ROKU for a while before I left for the day. After I was finished I switched back to my cable input. My screen was blank, my AB Switch was stuck
on A, and wouldn't switch to B. I tried the box & remote several times. The antenna signal works fine. I had to leave, so I left it to deal with later.

When I returned I was planning to swap out the coax from the B side of the switch. I decided to try the AB Switch again, it was working. I tried it a few times, it kept working. So I decided to leave well enough alone.
I even tried ROKU for a bit, without issues. Later on last night I used ROKU to watch a movie. After the movie the switch was stuck on A again. I left it like that and went to sleep.

Last time I checked today, about an hour ago it's still stuck.

So you think it may be the AB Switch powercord? What about the cable line coax?

Here is my layout I am working with. It sucks I know, but I'm in an older apartment.

Another possible piece of this puzzle can be this.

I'm using a TP-Link Powerline (TL-WPA8630 KIT) if it matters. The Powerline LED light (#2 of 5) has been changing from Green, yellow, and red at various times.
But my ROKU & Blu-ray player are both connecting to the internet without issues. So I was thinking that was because I didn't setup the WiFi feature of this Powerline.
I haven't really needed it because I haven't used my laptop for internet, just my tablet. That has been working off my W.A.P. connection. I know TMI, but maybe this could
help solve my problem.

So what are the thoughts? Bad AB switch, switch powercord? Does my setup need to be reconfigured? Is my Powerline the problem? Do I need to replace my Cable IN coax cable?
Or is it a combination?

I've been looking for a new AB Switch and I found these at several sites.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...351&CatId=2767

I also found this:
http://www.frys.com/product/1926484

The things I don't like are that they're manual, and the buttons are big. But the manual part may eliminate one problem. The ABC Switch would be handy if I decide to add the second antenna to my setup.
Instead of joining two antenna signals with a joiner/coupler, I'd run two coax cables from each antenna [A & B]. While a third coax for cable [C]. Would that fix my problem? Or would it cause more?
If I did get the ABC Switch and the second antenna didn't work quite right, could I still use it with two connections?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Layout.png
Views:	4
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	2268880   Click image for larger version

Name:	powerpk.png
Views:	4
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	2268890  

Last edited by IN2tvClassics; 08-17-2017 at 09:32 AM.

post #4 of 5 Old 08-18-2017, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by IN2tvClassics View Post
It's either a brick or lower profile similar to this one.

Yesterday morning my AB Switch was working fine. I decided to test out my ROKU for a while before I left for the day. After I was finished I switched back to my cable input. My screen was blank, my AB Switch was stuck
on A, and wouldn't switch to B. I tried the box & remote several times. The antenna signal works fine. I had to leave, so I left it to deal with later.

When I returned I was planning to swap out the coax from the B side of the switch. I decided to try the AB Switch again, it was working. I tried it a few times, it kept working. So I decided to leave well enough alone.
I even tried ROKU for a bit, without issues. Later on last night I used ROKU to watch a movie. After the movie the switch was stuck on A again. I left it like that and went to sleep.

Last time I checked today, about an hour ago it's still stuck.

So you think it may be the AB Switch powercord? What about the cable line coax?

Here is my layout I am working with. It sucks I know, but I'm in an older apartment.

Another possible piece of this puzzle can be this.

I'm using a TP-Link Powerline (TL-WPA8630 KIT) if it matters. The Powerline LED light (#2 of 5) has been changing from Green, yellow, and red at various times.
But my ROKU & Blu-ray player are both connecting to the internet without issues. So I was thinking that was because I didn't setup the WiFi feature of this Powerline.
I haven't really needed it because I haven't used my laptop for internet, just my tablet. That has been working off my W.A.P. connection. I know TMI, but maybe this could
help solve my problem.

So what are the thoughts? Bad AB switch, switch powercord? Does my setup need to be reconfigured? Is my Powerline the problem? Do I need to replace my Cable IN coax cable?
Or is it a combination?

I've been looking for a new AB Switch and I found these at several sites.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...351&CatId=2767

I also found this:
http://www.frys.com/product/1926484

The things I don't like are that they're manual, and the buttons are big. But the manual part may eliminate one problem. The ABC Switch would be handy if I decide to add the second antenna to my setup.
Instead of joining two antenna signals with a joiner/coupler, I'd run two coax cables from each antenna [A & B]. While a third coax for cable [C]. Would that fix my problem? Or would it cause more?
If I did get the ABC Switch and the second antenna didn't work quite right, could I still use it with two connections?
It is possible your AC line voltage is low or not stable, since the TP Link unit is showing status changes. However a bad "wall-wart" power supply is not unusual. Some get quite warm and the cheap electrolytic capacitors can dry out. I've fixed a few myself by prying them open and replacing a clearly overheated cap. The simplest test and probable fix is a universal replacement like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-ACD-477-.../dp/B000Z31G3M

I would try the replacement next. If it doesn't help, you'll have it as spare.

There certainly is not much out there in switches with remotes. It appears Radio Shack had the market sewed up with the model they sold for years.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-19-2017, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

I may have a spare powerplug laying around. If it's compatible I'll give it a try.
** I was able to find the extra powerplug I had. It's not compatible from what I can see.

I was able to get a new (manual) AB Switch along with a (manual) ABC Switch and Combiner. The reason I got all three was to give me wiring options.
Right now I have the AB Switch hooked up and is working fine.

Last edited by IN2tvClassics; 08-29-2017 at 11:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page