Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 09-12-2017, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Spark with DBS coax question

Good day, while moving some things around in my HT, I got ready to hook the Dish Hopper back up. I have 2 connection on a wall plate. One goes to dish junction then to dish and other goes to FM antenna mounted in attic.

I could not remember which was which so I picked one and got a spark. I have seen this before when circuit to LNB was completed and thought "got the right one first time". After about 10 minutes of "no signal" I thought well maybe I didn't, checked again same spark, tried the other one....in a few minutes I have a signal.

At first it thought it must have been a ground spark, but then I remember the antenna is unhooked.....I robbed the matching transformer off it last week for another project. The connection that was sparking only goes to that one antenna, no surge suppressor or ground block since it is inside and with the coax unhooked how could I be getting a spark? I checked the connection for shorted coax this morning best I could with multimeter and seemed ok. My only thought was if the coax in the attic was connecting end down on fiberglass insulation could that have completed a circuit between the center conductor and nut enough to cause a short?

Thanks in advance......

I've seen things you wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page