Directv picture dropping - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-14-2017, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Unhappy Directv picture dropping

Hi, I am new to this forum and so not sure if this is the right place to post this question, but hoping someone can help me.

I have a new LG C7P OLED TV connected to a Yamaha RX-A770 receiver. My two sources that are plugged in to the receiver are an Xbox One and DirecTV HR-44 (I think that's the model - it's whatever the newest one is as I just had it set up a month ago). I am controlling the whole setup with a Logitech Harmony elite remote.

When I watch Directv, the picture flickers off and on very frequently. Sometimes in rapid succession, other times it might go a minute or longer in between. And occasionally when I bring up the DVR function on the Directv, the picture drops completely. Audio remains on throughout the entire time via the speakers running to my A770.

When I first got this new setup a couple weeks ago there was the same flickering issue briefly with both Xbox One and Directv, but not as bad as it is now (and it sort of went away for a week or so, too - for example last weekend I watched football virtually all day without seeing any picture flickering on / off.

Last thing I'll mention is that throughout the time I've owned this new set up (only a couple weeks), I have noticed that when changing between video sources (Xbox One / Directv) and also when changing between channels in DirecTV, the screen would go black for longer than I'd expect before displaying the new video source (for example, I'd often change between two different football games and when changing channels the picture would go black, I'd start to hear the audio of the new channel and 3-5 seconds later the picture would finally display). I did think this was a bit strange and maybe a sign that the communication between my devices was having some kind of issue.

Now today with how bad the Directv flickering has gotten, I need some help, and before I reach out to customer service or see if I need to get a replacement piece of hardware I wanted to check with anyone who might be able to chime in.

To troubleshoot I have taken the following steps:

- Turned everything off and on again (although didnt unplug it all and do a 10+ minute power cycle)

- Switched HDMI cables running between the Directv and the Yamaha, but when using the Xbox HDMI cable as well as a third cable that was unused, the Directv flickering issue continues at an unchanged pace

- Plugged the Directv directly into another monitor via HDMI - no picture flickering took place at all which leads me to conclusion that its not a hardware problem with the Directv at least

- Tried turning Native resolution setting off in Directv settings, had read somewhere that that might fix issues with picture drop like I am experiencing - only outcome of doing this seemed to make the picture (when it's not flickering) look worse on my TV

- Read somewhere that this could have to do with the TV's "ARC" settings or "handshake", but I'm not exactly sure what that means?

Would much appreciate the advice of any savvy folks who could potentially help me out here.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-14-2017, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I should also add that I randomly turned my setup on and my Yamaha receiver starting displaying "STB Refsw Desi" when set to Directv input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page