Can I temporarily suspend Dish Network for 90 days? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-23-2004, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have DirecTV currently. I'm thinking of giving them the boot and switching to Dish Network because I'm paying too much. Total Choice costs $38 a month now. All the channels I'd care about are in Dish Network's "Top60+" package. So I figure, pocket $8 a month and switch to dish. Now, add to this the fact that I could buy a year's programming and get 11 months for the price of 12, and I'm starting to think I could save more than $92 a year. Or I could add the HD option and pay about the same as I am now.

But every summer, come about June, the weather gets really nice and I don't want to spend any time in my dark basement. There also isn't much compelling out there in the summer. So I turn DirecTV off for three months. I give them a "restart" date and at the drop of a hat, I save 3 months of programming costs.

Now I know I'd probably need a 1-year commitment to keep the equipment with Dish, since the "no commitment" requires a return of the receiver if you shut off the service.

Here's the question (took me long enough, didn't it?):

After I fulfill my one-year commitment with Dish, is it possible to turn off the receiver for up to 3 months a year and not have to pay fees or penalties to restart the service?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-23-2004, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
You will find the answer here

Time Warner Cable – Signature Home Premium View w/Epix, Sports Pass, HD Pass, Spanish Tier, Cisco Explorer 8642HDC, Cisco Explorer 8742HDC Both Running ODN 7.2.0_11
DirecTV – Premier, HD Extra Pack, NFL ST Max, NHL CI, MLB EI, Whole House DVR, HR34-700 Running 0807, HR24-200 Running 0802

post #3 of 8 Old 04-23-2004, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Short answer (after reading Steve's link) - yes. $5 / month charge for inactive accounts.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #4 of 8 Old 04-26-2004, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I think you will be making a mistake to switch to Dish Network to save a few dollars. DirecTV service, equipment, and personnel are all better in my opinion and worth a few extra dollars, although with discounts and special promotions I believe DirecTV is actually often less expensive. If you want a PVR, then there is no comparison.

Chris
post #5 of 8 Old 04-26-2004, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Gerhard
I think you will be making a mistake to switch to Dish Network to save a few dollars. DirecTV service, equipment, and personnel are all better in my opinion and worth a few extra dollars, although with discounts and special promotions I believe DirecTV is actually often less expensive. If you want a PVR, then there is no comparison.
Well, it's not a few dollars. It's a lot of dollars. $10/month adds up. $120/year over 5 years is $600. By then, that'd buy a new HDTV. I paid $900 up front to get an antenna to save $15/month on basic cable. I'm cheap. So what?

If I wanted a DirecTV HD receiver, I'd have to call Customer Retention and tell them I was going to leave, and then I could get a DirecTV receiver and dish (I have an 18" original dish) professionally installed for $99 (Pay $399 up front, get $300 programming credit.) I can call Dish and get an 811 and dish installed for free ($49 activation with $49 account credit.)

I already have 2 HD receivers for OTA programming, so who cares that the 811 isn't great at OTA reception?

I have a ReplayTV, so PVR options aren't a consideration, either.

I've been with DirecTV since 1995, so I'm not happy about leaving, but I'm also not happy to be paying more and more and more for the same channels when I can get them elsewhere for less.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-26-2004, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
I paid $900 up front to get an antenna to save $15/month on basic cable
$900 for an antenna?
post #7 of 8 Old 04-26-2004, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rlj5242
$900 for an antenna?
Did I forget to mention the 54' tower it's sitting on? :)
post #8 of 8 Old 04-27-2004, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Before you get too excited, keep in mind that the Dish "suspend" used to apply to out of commitment accounts. Remember those old horror stories about people who got billed full price for their boxes from the retailers because they technically breached their contract?

That was then and you may need to check with Dish to be sure what policy is in place. But I would not at all be surprised if they have a new policy to allow you to suspend your account while in commitment but would restart your commitment period each time you did it. Obviously I am just speculating about such a possible penalty.

In all, Dish can be a pain, if only because of the multi switch connections. Some never have a problem, while my problems with them was almost a daily occurrence. :(
Closed Thread Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page