surfing the internet - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-27-2000, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I heard somewhere that there is a service available that will allow a high-speed internet connection with a dbs satellite. Does anyone out there have this service and can you give a review on how well it works? I'm building a new home and I want to find a internet service better than using the phone lines. The local cable service has one, but I am a big fan of directv and would like to avoid getting cable service. thanks

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-27-2000, 05:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

My quick recollection is two way business based satcom is up & pricey. Two way DirecPC (I had the old DirecPC but it had it's good and bad points) and Gilat-at-home are supposed to be up in the fall/winter timeframe. Looking forward to Gilat if DSL or cable doesn't happen here soon.

I would do a search on the forums for "Gilat" and "DirecPC." I hate to say it, but DBSdish did have a few good threads on the topic.

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-29-2000, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Here is a link to a Canadian site that is providing the kind of service that I think is very interesting. Express Vu Internet Service

Thanks
Rick

Rick
post #4 of 8 Old 05-29-2000, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Press release from April

EchoStar Invests $50 Million in Gilat-To-Home to Offer First Two-Way Satellite Internet Access Combined with DISH Network Satellite Television on Single Dish http://www.corporate-ir.net/ireye/ir...&item_id=85092

This should be live by the EOY. DirectTV has announced similar plans.

Baimo
post #5 of 8 Old 05-29-2000, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. This is exactly what I was looking for. I've been a DirecTV guy, but I will begin researching Dish Network...Are they offering any HDTV broadcasts???
post #6 of 8 Old 05-29-2000, 06:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 43
The Dish system is going into field testing. A local A/V shop will be getting a test unit. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif I will be the one hooking it up to their local area network (I'm their net admin) and will report back when I see it in action. Please don't ask when...you know how these things go.

------------------
David Bott
It's A World Of Entertainment...Experience It!
AV Science/AVS Forum Admin
http://www.avscience.com
http://www.avsforum.com

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

post #7 of 8 Old 05-30-2000, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
Sounds exciting, David. I'm a network engineer myself, and live way out in the boonies (I can't even get ISDN, much less cable or DSL), so for two very compelling reasons I am interested in Gilat. Transmission speeds themselves are impressive, though in certain situations the latency that satellite data transmission adds may be inconvenient. I hope we are able to see comprehensive performance reviews as a result of the beta period.

I even thought ahead specifically for Gilat - I just hung my two dishes (will be a new Dish subscriber as soon as one of the receivers arrives) over the weekend and ran a third cable into my house for data.

Any new information on Gilat that can be provided would be most welcome.

------------------

Nethawk

- New enthusiast of HT (I'm convinced this stands for "Here Tomorrow")

post #8 of 8 Old 05-30-2000, 02:48 PM

Unfortunately, Nethawk, you're going to have to replace one of those dishes to get Gilat-To-Home. It uses a 24"x36" elliptical dish with 3 LNBs, since the Gilat datastream is currently coming from GE4 (at 101). Even tho Gilat is partnering with E*, the arrangement is exactly the same as the 3-LNB DirecTV plus dish. Only difference is that the Gilat LNB is a BUD-style H/V polarized Ku unit, which is much larger than a circular polarized DSS LNB. They've got a nice webpage at http://www.gilat2home.com . If you click on the FAQ link, there's a signup link in the 5th paragraph.

HTH,
Barry
Closed Thread Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page