Digital out on my Sony DSS - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-01-2000, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have had a Sony Sat-A2 DSS for Directv for a few years. I just upgraded my A/V receiver to one that can process Dolby Digital which works great with my new DVD. I noticed that my Sony DSS has an optical digital output. If I connect this to my receiver, will I be able to get 5.1 when it is broadcast on PPV by Directv? Or is this a digital out for some other device. In my Sony DSS manual, it does not say anything about Dolby Digital, but mentions that the optical out can be used to connect to DAT or MP devices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2000, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Is this true that the digital out is 5.1? I thought that you had to have an A50 receiver for 5.1 sound. I have an A2 connected to my 5.1 surround sound receiver using the optical ports. I was under the assumption that this wasn't 5.1 audio.
I also own an A3 (Sony) and for some reason they got rid of the optical port. Is there a way to connect the A3 for digital sound?

- Anthony
Old 06-05-2000, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by eSchu:
Well, I do not have this unit. I am willing to assume if it has an optical connector it passes the 5.1.

Does your reciever recognize the signal as digital? IF yes find one of the Pay per views with 5.1 and see if it picks up DD. You know there are only a few channels that are 5.1 right? Someone also said there really isn't the ".1" in the signal....I dont know because I dont have a sub.

Is there a menu selection on the sony to swith from analog to digital?

If your other unit doesnt have an optical out then I think it's pretty obvious you are not going to get DD. I would buy another unit before I even thought to spend time investigating a mod to the unit.

cheers
Eric
When I use the optical I do get the DD signal inidicator light to light up on the receiver. Does that I mean I'm getting AC3?
Thanks for the help.

- Anthony
Old 06-06-2000, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hmm..do you have 5 speakers? Do they have sound coming out of them when you are on a channel playing DD 5.1? This should be pretty obvious.

Eric

Yes to all those questions. The thing is when I'm on a non DD 5.1 channel such as HBO I still get sound from all five speakers and I believe the DD light is on. I thought the SS was being simulated by my SS amp. My setup is down for the morning, while a carpet is installed. I'll check tonight to see if the DD light is actually on then I'm watching HBO, but I'm pretty certain that it is. I'm sorry that my questions are so lame.

- Anthony
Old 06-06-2000, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

The carpet people cancelled, so I'll go set everything up again and see how it goes.

- Anthony
Old 06-06-2000, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 357
The A2 came w/ an optical output for digital "PCM" sound, but it does not support 5.1. You will get better sound using it than composite, however you will never get Dolby Digital from it.

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Join the AVS Club and help support the site. Help Support AVS Forum Sponsors.
Old 06-06-2000, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Lang:
The A2 came w/ an optical output for digital "PCM" sound, but it does not support 5.1. You will get better sound using it than composite, however you will never get Dolby Digital from it.
Thanks! That's what I thought was happening.

- Anthony
Old 06-06-2000, 10:08 PM
Advanced Member

I connected the SS receiver to my DSS and got the following results. When I use the optical cord and leave the receiver in auto detect mode, it stays on digital for every channel. Does this mean that I've got AC3 audio? If it does then I guess I don't understand what the difference between the A50 and my A2.

[This message has been edited by antsinger (edited June 06, 2000).]

- Anthony
Old 06-07-2000, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
How does your system sound with the PCM outof all 5 channels?

Eric

It sounds great. But I've never heard 5.1 through it, so I don't have a reference point.

- Anthony
Old 06-09-2000, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I still have my old Sony receiver in the basement system. I too was disappointed when I learned it wouldn't pass 5.1. I upgraded to the RCA5451 over a year ago, which will pass it. I haven't kept up on the units since that time which will pass the signal, as the 5451 was the first. While I've purchased the DTC-100, it's still in a box in my office.

Tonight, for the first time, I ran the optical cable out of the DSS unit into a jitter reduction processor, the Monarchy Audio DIP. Now I can go into my surround processor with a coaxial cable. It seems to be a cleaner signal, more dynamic. Perhaps a DSS unit can tangibly benefit from jitter reduction?

In any case, even without the jitter reduction, Dolby Digital off the DSS unit is a huge improvement over the PCM prologic signal. But you're still better off, dolby digital or not, jitter reducer or not, going out of your receiver with the digital output.
Old 06-11-2000, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Well, since I started this thread I thought I would post a follow -up. My Sony A2 does only pass the PCM pro logic signal through the optical digital port. I feel it is an improvement over the previous composite analog connection. Seems to have more clarity and depth to the surround but I realize that that is very subjective.