One Hughes receiver, 2 TVs, easy question..... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-10-2000, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Helped my dad install his new system and ran into a question. 2 tv's, one receiver. The second tv is hooked up by coax from the "tv out." The second tv gets satellite reception fine on channel 3 (this is an older tv with only 1 coax input). However, when the main tv is watching satellite, or whenever the satellite receiver is on for that matter, I am unable to get local reception on tv #2. When the receiver is turned off local reception on tv #2 is perfect. As it is now if someone is watching satellite on tv 1, tv 2 will only be able to get the same satellite program but no local. Not what we had in mind.

I'm assuming I will need a switch of some kind to distinguish the two different frequencies. I was told at the electronics store that I would be able to get satellite on channel 3 and local channels just by turning the knob(!). I told you it is an older tv. Does somebody have an easy fix for this??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-10-2000, 04:03 PM

Press the "Input" button on the remote to switch between TV and Satellite on the second TV. Make sure the Input button is enabled in the advanced setup menu (is should be by default). This is all explained in the owner's manual. Did you read it ?
post #3 of 5 Old 06-10-2000, 04:57 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Or you could just put a simple A/B switch at TV 2. Cable in to A, satellite in to B.

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Join the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and help support the site. Help Support
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 5 Old 06-11-2000, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mike, thank you for the input. Thought I may need a a/b switch.

Kevin, yes I read the book. Did you read my post? Do you really think a tv with a knob to change channels actually has a remote that I could use to change the input?!? You'll also see that the only input into the second tv is a single coax input.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-11-2000, 10:41 PM

I understand the second TV is connected by coax and does not have a remote. I have a 20+ year old 13" TV (knobs for tunning) connected to the RF output of my Huges E-11. The Hughes remote has an Input button that switches the coax output between satellite and the TV/Cable input. The switch in built into the Hughes receiver, you don't need an a/b switch. See pages 3-2 and 7-10 of the manual.
Closed Thread Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page