SCI-FI in HD? No. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 110 Old 07-26-2005, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has any one heard anything about Sci-Fi channel going HD. It's time they got off their butts. A lot of there content is 16:9 so one would assume a lot of it is HD. But I guess since they are cable and Sat. they really don't have to ever go to HD unless they get pressure from viewers to do so or another channel of Sci-Fi content comes around that is HD.

Are you looking for a mentor
www.winningonlinebusiness.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 110 Old 07-26-2005, 09:25 PM

Liked: 10
Voom has a monster channel in HD. That might spur Sci-Fi to go HD.
post #3 of 110 Old 07-26-2005, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

dunno but whoever offers it first will get my buisness for scifi fridays alone.... im there with you, scifi is my most wanted channel right now since it seems universal is going to screw around with battlestar. And we all know stargate atlantis is shot in HD and shown in HD up in canada.
post #4 of 110 Old 07-26-2005, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

AkaStp ...happy (guess the header does get changes when I edit, sorry)

Jagouar,

I agree, that 3 hours is the best 3 hours of TV all week ...IMO.

Are you looking for a mentor
www.winningonlinebusiness.com
post #5 of 110 Old 07-27-2005, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

NBC Universal isn't smart enought to offer an HD version of Sci-fi Network. It could be one of the most killer applications for HD on any providers service. NBC-Universal would like to stop broadcasting in HD if they could because they don't like the cost and they don't like not having the broadcast flag. Microshaft which I think still owns part of MSNBC is trying to get their VC-9 compression scheme off the ground for HD. They aren't even smart enough to make an HD version of MSNBC and compressing it in VC-9 to show the world what it can do. Total and Complete Dumb ASSES. Their ignorance is painful.
Even if they did, Comcast wouldn't carry it because they still think HDTVs are only in a few thousand house holds.
post #6 of 110 Old 07-27-2005, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintit77 View Post

Comcast wouldn't carry it because they still think HDTVs are only in a few thousand house holds.

"As Super Bowl frenzy reaches a fever pitch, Comcast Corporation (Nasdaq: CMCSA, CMCSK), announced it has now deployed more than one million high-definition television (HDTV)-capable Digital Cable set-top boxes in customers' homes, adding more than 800,000 of them in 2004 alone. "

http://www.cmcsk.com/phoenix.zhtml?c...lar&id=669619&

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #7 of 110 Old 07-27-2005, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkaStp View Post

Misleading thread title. How about adding a "?"

I agree. Sounds like an announcement the way it is.
post #8 of 110 Old 07-27-2005, 01:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintit77 View Post

NBC Universal isn't smart enought to offer an HD version of Sci-fi Network. It could be one of the most killer applications for HD on any providers service. NBC-Universal would like to stop broadcasting in HD if they could because they don't like the cost and they don't like not having the broadcast flag. Microshaft which I think still owns part of MSNBC is trying to get their VC-9 compression scheme off the ground for HD. They aren't even smart enough to make an HD version of MSNBC and compressing it in VC-9 to show the world what it can do. Total and Complete Dumb ASSES. Their ignorance is painful.
Even if they did, Comcast wouldn't carry it because they still think HDTVs are only in a few thousand house holds.

Obviously these are opinions and not facts.

A fact: George Thompson of NBC,and an AVS member, has repeatedly stated that all NBC/UNI properties are being looked at for HD versions. Now, being "looked at" doesn't mean anything is confirmed, but if you consider that SciFi and USA have some of the highest rated cable programs in the business, and that they are both subscription networks being cable/sat only, I'll bet at least SciFi will be a shoo-in for HD.

I started a thread asking this very question awhile back and GT's answer is in the thread. Try a search for SciFi.
post #9 of 110 Old 07-27-2005, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd like to see Sci Fi in HD...particularly since their SD cable channel always looks crummy, even for SD, on my cable system. Does that suggest a problem with SciFi's outgoing signal, or is it more likely a local cable problem? I mean the black levels are basically gray, and there is horribly low contrast. Watching the battle scenes in Battlestar Galactica is like watching indistinct gray smudges exploding against a darker gray background. (And my blacks are fine on most other channels, DVD, and HD).
post #10 of 110 Old 07-27-2005, 08:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
No known info on SciFi going HD.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #11 of 110 Old 07-28-2005, 01:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number_6 View Post

I'd like to see Sci Fi in HD...particularly since their SD cable channel always looks crummy, even for SD, on my cable system. Does that suggest a problem with SciFi's outgoing signal, or is it more likely a local cable problem? I mean the black levels are basically gray, and there is horribly low contrast. Watching the battle scenes in Battlestar Galactica is like watching indistinct gray smudges exploding against a darker gray background. (And my blacks are fine on most other channels, DVD, and HD).

SciFi has always looked horrible to me. I just hope that if they do finally offer an HD channel they will get rid of there horrid logo. It would also be nice if they didnt interrupt the end of programs to advertise future programs. I am amazed they aren't forced to show the "credits" in a manor that allows humans to read them.

People stopped watching because it sucked ass. Not because they didnt know the show was on. Now they are no longer watching the shows they liked because you constantly promote other crap.
post #12 of 110 Old 07-28-2005, 10:31 AM

I'd buy whatever I had to to see SciFi Friday in HD. Not holding my breath though...

-Greg
post #13 of 110 Old 07-28-2005, 07:30 PM

Like sports, Sci-Fi in HD is something that would really take, especially for those, who enjoy the action and the whole genre, but NBC, since it bought Universal, is going for what it can get out of it and doesn't seem to understand the HD draw to this channel.
post #14 of 110 Old 07-29-2005, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Sci-Fi and USA come out of a different Jersey location than the rest of the NBCUNI cable channels. Since they are a relatively new build it will take a lot of justification to move them to the CNBC campus up the river in the near future. It has been mentioned and I know they are thinking about it. Just don't know when.
GT

Views expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of my employer or its parent company.
post #15 of 110 Old 07-29-2005, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I thought UniversalHD was created as a compromise for the cable and satellite companies, who were arguing about bandwidth space. Wasn't universal-hd to contain HD programming from USANetwork and SciFi Network, as well as any other NBC owned cable networks ?
post #16 of 110 Old 07-29-2005, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

yeah but showing stuff (battlestar) months behind the live showings on scifi is beyond stupid. If they showed BSG even an hour behind the premiere on scifi it would be fine but the whole season is shown before it shows up on universal. And even when they can show stuff its just select programming from scifi/use and only stuff nbc owns.

Example is stargate:atlantis..... its a mgm show so it airs on scifi but cant air on uni-hd because its not an nbc owned show. But its shot and aired in canada in HD.
post #17 of 110 Old 07-29-2005, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

No, showing it on UHD an hour after Sci-Fi would be beyond stupid. Why have the channel responsible for the development, production and marketing of a show lose any appreciable amount of its audience. Particularly when a percentage of that same audience will turn around and rewatch the show on a sister channel 3 months later? Double dip your advertising etc., etc.

Mark...
post #18 of 110 Old 07-29-2005, 08:31 AM
rad
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Why not simulcast the Sci-Fi Friday night lineup, including the commercials that run on Sci-FI, on UHD? Right not I'm not seeing any real advertisements on UHD, usually just promo's for other NBC programming. That way they can maybe pick up some more viewers (the one's that say they don't want to watch SD versions) and create demand for more MSO's to pick up the UHD channel.
post #19 of 110 Old 07-29-2005, 09:24 AM

I don't think SciFi i HD will be the killer app that everyone thinks it has the potential of becoming. Most of the channel lineup is filler garbage, and heavily edited movies. Outside of a couple of standout shows, and re-runs of classics(Buck Rogers, Twilight Zone, and others that they don't show anymore) - I rarely watch the channel.

A HD channel with unedited movies and some more thought put into their program lineup? THAT would be a killer app. But just a HD version of the same old SciFi channel really won't be a selling point for just about any company. At least outside of a very small niche.
post #20 of 110 Old 12-15-2005, 05:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Has there been any more news about SciFi going HD????????????????????

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #21 of 110 Old 12-15-2005, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

This may be nothing but if you look at th Universal-HD schedule for dec 31 they list everthing as SCIFIHD. Would be cool if they convert this channel to SCiFI hd and actually simulcast some the there shows which are already shot in HD.
post #22 of 110 Old 12-15-2005, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidnw View Post

This may be nothing but if you look at th Universal-HD schedule for dec 31 they list everthing as SCIFIHD. Would be cool if they convert this channel to SCiFI hd and actually simulcast some the there shows which are already shot in HD.

On January 1st, they're going to start showing the first batch of 2nd season eps. every sunday nite, beginning with "Shattered".

Wonder how much their planning has to do with not wanting to preceed the DVD release for the first part of season 2?

Since I missed a few of the last batch, I'm looking forward to catching up.

-bruce
post #23 of 110 Old 12-15-2005, 10:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceOrlando View Post

On January 1st, they're going to start showing the first batch of 2nd season eps. every sunday nite, beginning with "Shattered".

I knew they would do this. How did I know? Because my provider, TWC, stubbonly refuses to add UHD to it's lineup, that's how.
post #24 of 110 Old 12-15-2005, 10:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Brighthouse cable doesn't carry UHD either.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #25 of 110 Old 12-15-2005, 11:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceOrlando View Post

Wonder how much their planning has to do with not wanting to preceed the DVD release for the first part of season 2?

Since I missed a few of the last batch, I'm looking forward to catching up.

-bruce

The problem is that they are starting to run the first half of Season 2 on UHD only 5 days before the first episode of the second half of Season 2 airs on SciFi. If you are watching it on SciFi to stay current, I would Netflix the the first half next Tuesday and forgo the UHD broadcasts, unless the HD aspect is something you want. Or, wait until the second half of Season 2 comes to UHD, whenever that may be. They sure don't make it easy for us HD fans...us course we are talking about NBC/Universal which one journalist referred to as "less of a TV network and more of a psychological experiment"..
post #26 of 110 Old 12-15-2005, 11:08 AM

The Triangle was the first thing sci-fi has done in a long time that did not suck. What did suck was the PQ on a 133" screen...it looked like a dirty screen door...I would settle for "good" SD.....HD aint gonna happen IMO anytime soon.....sci-fi is analog on my nj subrban cablevision system

Alan Rappaport (alsgoods)
October 28, 1955 - July 4, 2006

His son felt to tell Alan's favorite site about the death. Please share your condolences if you met him; I know he loved this site a lot.
post #27 of 110 Old 12-15-2005, 11:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

No.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #28 of 110 Old 12-15-2005, 11:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

No.

Man of few words.

post #29 of 110 Old 12-15-2005, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsgoods View Post

The Triangle was the first thing sci-fi has done in a long time that did not suck. What did suck was the PQ on a 133" screen...it looked like a dirty screen door...I would settle for "good" SD.....HD aint gonna happen IMO anytime soon.....sci-fi is analog on my nj subrban cablevision system

Agree about the Triangle PQ - horrible - wanted to Windex my screen the whole time I was watching. Don't agree with your first sentence, unless you are disregarding their original series'.
post #30 of 110 Old 12-15-2005, 12:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Ditto on The Triangle, I thought it was just me, it did look really bad. So bad that now I'm wondering what Battlestar Galactica is going to look like come Jan-it wasn't bad at all really during the first half of Season Two, even being scaled up to 16x9.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page