Kyle XY on ABC Family - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 281 Old 08-07-2006, 02:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Yeah, SURFACE.....not so good, but started out with such great promise. I think one problem there might have been too many plot threads, attempting too many directions of tone, content and even homage to familiar sci-fi fare.

Kyle is much less ambitious and much more consistent and, yes, I think you are right, somewhat less annoying, although I will say the young son in Kyle has grated more than once with his flippant quipster persona.

For me, I almost never have a problem suspending disbelief in the case of such things as he may be an alien -- what could be more natural than that? -- but when you present dramatic situations that would not happen in our real world, or you are inconsistent in your portrayal of character, you muck up the waters considerably, and really, that type of thing only arises from laziness, or lack of pride in your work product.

Another thing too is that with the mystery element, it invites our trying to determine what is going on and with false dramatic leads interjected out of writer error or oversight, we are left contemplating false mysteries and are led astray from the plot purpose -- in another well constructed offering, these leads would be part of the fabric -- example: later we find out how Kyle became familiar with the smell of ozone -- that teaser then would have come to fruition and that is the type of internal coherence and cohesion I can really admire.

I'll repeat that the last episode was a major improvement over the early ones, so maybe all this series needs is the assurance that someone is watching, to raise the level of play and find its footing -- I would wish that for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 281 Old 08-08-2006, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaych View Post

Sure the internet could have been made to work visually -- overwhelming floodwaters of data and information have appeared in films such as Beautiful Mind as swirling overlays of print and numerals, etc., but there are budgetary constraints operative here which I would not begrudge the producers. My point was that you must make your visuals conform to your story -- directorial decisions must arise from the imperative to advance the story (within the constraints of the budget), not impede it by shortcutting with something that does not fit, let alone something which actually tells a different story than the one you are trying to advance.

I see where you are coming from no arguments there
post #93 of 281 Old 08-08-2006, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccidenT View Post

My guess is that if they had shown him using the internet it would have been 10 times more unrealistic than showing him use the encyclopedias. There would have been:

- lots and lots of keyboard strokes, even though reading lots of information would really just take a tiny bit of typing and lots and lots of clicking and scrolling.
- a fully 3D, animated "internet" that's unlike anything anyone has ever used to do research, ever (except in any other movie or TV show where someone uses a computer)
- lots of flashing colors, beeps, boops and swooshes as the aformentioned "internet" delivered its information

well if recall correctly he picks up digital code really easy. So, I'm just saying they could've just showed him being instructed at sometime using the internet...
Only a click or two, arrow keys , enter button needed in the scene with a overhead shot or over the shoulder... just a thought. who knows

...the point was that kids dont go to libraries or use encyclopedias anymore
post #94 of 281 Old 08-25-2006, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

I believe tonight is the season finale. I noticed Kyle was not listed on the guide last week, we we're going out and I already set this show up as a series recording but wanted to double check that it was on. Sunday to our surprise I noticed we recorded it. However, it was not in HD. I see this thread hasn't been updated for a week or so, did anyone watch this last week?
post #95 of 281 Old 08-25-2006, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I watched last week's Kyle and it was not in HD. Looked terrible.

Bobby 

post #96 of 281 Old 08-25-2006, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Tonight is the penultimate episode to the season finale, which is next Friday.

Only the Friday showing on ABC is in HD. Any other night and you're getting it from ABC Family, which is SD.

I can vouch for last Friday's ep being in HD, at least locally.
post #97 of 281 Old 08-25-2006, 02:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks for the reminder.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #98 of 281 Old 08-25-2006, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Well my local abc must have messed up because it wasn't HD. Really a good show and glad I decided to watch it!
post #99 of 281 Old 08-26-2006, 12:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

I watched last week's Kyle and it was not in HD. Looked terrible.

You must have recorded the ABC Family version. It was in HD on KGO last week and it was tonight, too.

Larry
SF

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists: http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html
Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html

Check out photos and info on my antennas: http://www. larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html

post #100 of 281 Old 08-26-2006, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney View Post

You must have recorded the ABC Family version. It was in HD on KGO last week and it was tonight, too.

Larry
SF

Actually, I watched it live on Comcast channel 707, the DT channel. It just looked soft and fuzzy to me. Last night, on the other hand, it was just fine. Maybe, "I" was soft and fuzzy last week.

Bobby 

post #101 of 281 Old 08-26-2006, 02:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Was HD here in Boston WCVB-DT. Looked good, but they had trouble switching over from the commercials so during the transition it looked a bit off.

The show is going well. Interesting quick turn with the security guard. Did anyone see that coming? Would you trust someone who bugs your apt for your own good?

post #102 of 281 Old 08-30-2006, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

The show is going well. Interesting quick turn with the security guard. Did anyone see that coming? Would you trust someone who bugs your apt for your own good?

Really, I'm happy that folks have found something they could enjoy this bleak summer and I do realize of course that the target audience for KYLE is likely the yet wholesome pre-pubescent set (who have not seen this kind of stuff hundreds of times by now), as well as their sanguine, yet-to-be-disillusioned parents, but since the question of "did anyone see that coming?," was posed, might I just make an observation?

If the "plot twist" of the security guard stalker being not malefactor but benefactor took you by surprise, that was by design of course. And unfortunately it was not of the cleverly-crafted, all-the-evidence-laid-before-you type of twist, but rather the lazy, sloppy, misdirection-which-DEPOSES-the-twist type.

A good twist operates in the realm of all the relevant story elements being plausible -- they are plausible for the ANTICIPATED, AS WELL AS UNANTICIPATED "twist" evolution of the plot. In the SIXTH SENSE for instance, all the evidence was there, but most thought they had correctly assessed the dramatic trajectory, so had their good surprise. Many rewatched, now with foreknowledge of the revelation to come, and it still held up.

With KYLE though, there was the mystery of this man. We were encouraged to wonder about his identity and motivations. We see him laying the electronic foundation for an elaborate, labor intensive, possibly obsessive surveillance operation -- doing things which are not only highly illegal, but likely to trigger the deepest sense of violation. These activities can only imply one thing, his motives are not good.

When we discover that our mystery man has fashioned himself a benevolent protector, the natural inclination is then to retrace what he has done in service of this protection, and here the presentation crumbles like a bug-ridden wall. Before committing to acts that would forever alienate him from those he would protect, not to mention land him jail for some very hard time, this person would have identified himself, his purpose and motives, as he did anyway -- there was no reason not to, ESPECIALLY if the alternative contemplated is compound felonies and borderline, or perhaps definite and irrefutable, perversion.

I'm sorry, it just is not fair to set up story elements that have only one natural conclusion, then introduce a "twist" which deposes all the foregoing simply and purely in the interest of interjecting a surprise -- of course it was a surprise, nothing was leading in that direction, with possible exception here to the fact that our security man had not directly intervened to physically harm Kyle, but that is not enough............. at least for me.

This is probably typical enough of filler entertainments, and certainly typical of this series which has set up one thing after another, including the very nature of Kyle, which it then ignores at another juncture, for comedy or surprise or whatever ill-founded fleeting interest it may lend.

Oh well...I'm still onboard for the conclusion. I've come this far.
post #103 of 281 Old 08-30-2006, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

I thought the last episode had some great twists to it and was one of the best of the season. I agree a few episodes have been lame but overall very enjoyable and the characters are likable which for me is very important. (the brother was getting a bit annoying but suddenly he isn't on screen as much any more... wonder whY?)
post #104 of 281 Old 08-30-2006, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

For me, it was the episode just prior to this last one -- can't recall a thing which leapt out and smacked me in the forehead -- good, plausible character development, good advancement of the story and intrigue.....

Well, the complete season has not yet played out......perhaps there IS some reason our guard would have acted as he did, but my guess would be that they won't bother to further address that plot point, particularly since he seems to have been now swept aside.

Anyway, I should think it would be asking alot of Friday's wrap-up, to hope that they tidy everything up -- a few too many loose and exposed threads I'm afraid. They got me to watch in any event, maybe that was as far as their imagination stretched.
post #105 of 281 Old 08-30-2006, 10:43 AM

Quote:

Well, the complete season has not yet played out......

Actually, it has for those of us who get the ABC Family channel (just not in HD). I'll be sure to check back next week to see what Emaych says about the finale....
post #106 of 281 Old 08-30-2006, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I couldn't wait for Friday so I watched the season finale on ABC Family. I'll hold off specific comments until after ABC airs it, but I will say I thought they did a good job with it and I look forward to the second season.
post #107 of 281 Old 08-30-2006, 04:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpsjim View Post

Actually, it has for those of us who get the ABC Family channel (just not in HD). I'll be sure to check back next week to see what Emaych says about the finale....

Be sure to bring a snack. I'm sure it'll be a long post...
post #108 of 281 Old 08-30-2006, 05:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Be sure to bring a snack. I'm sure it'll be a long post...

I don't bother reading them anymore. Why anyone watches something just to pan it (for free) is a mystery to me.

post #109 of 281 Old 08-31-2006, 03:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, sure -- possibly just a personal preference, but before I render judgment on a thing, I generally will like to watch it or read it.
post #110 of 281 Old 08-31-2006, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey guys lets ont get to hard on EM. I agree bashing a show or over picking it apart can be bad but some of the fun of this forum is discussing likes or dislikes about a show. If you just plain hate a show and don't watch it I agree you shouldn't post but if you watch a show and like it but have problems with some things in it, it can be fun to discuss them and I enjoy that part of the forum as well.
post #111 of 281 Old 09-02-2006, 03:10 AM
O2C
Advanced Member

Anyone catch what kind of car the "Petersons" took Kyle away in? I noticed that they chose to coverup the (Ford?) logo and nameplate on the back of car. An editing mistake left the black masking in place. On the other hand, the Chevy logo on the front of Declan's SUV seemed to be in every shot of that car.

And I wonder how much "promotional consideration" you have to pay to get your product name written into every script? It gets old pretty fast.
post #112 of 281 Old 09-02-2006, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
It was a 2006 Hyundai Sonata.
post #113 of 281 Old 09-02-2006, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

OK OK OK -- here goes this week's complaint: local ABC, KGTV, decides in their infinite wisdom, to opt for the very urgent 453rd rebroadcast of John Ritter's PROBLEM CHILD in standard definition no less, versus the wrap-up, all-your-questions-addressed final episode of the premiere season of an original entertainment. No, there was no special pre-emptive programming earlier in the day, and no rescheduling of Kyle that I've yet discovered.

Could this reflect their assessment of the degree of excitement generated by all the mysterious underpinnings of their offering? -- that a reshowing of an tired, idiotic, cheaply licensed flick might serve just as well for entertainment value? Conspiracy theorists might conclude that the producers, having checked into this thread, used their best insider techniques to ascertain what market certain critical parties resided in, then blacked out that market. I'm tempted to submit this matter to a certain Mr. Stone...........

On the point of whether it may be proper to ever find fault with anything at all, let me frame it this way:

Do I commit suicide if milk sours in the refrigerator? Maybe that was too easy to answer -- how about: kill yourself because your marriage is rotten to the core, you just lost your job, and recently woke up to the fact that no one loves or cares about you?

I think we might recognize that such determinations are perhaps largely issues of degree -- maybe there is a tipping point, though I'm sure there exist folks so constituted that there is no justification for such a total withdrawal -- perhaps hope or the sense that the journey is the thing, sustains such individuals. In any case, it does not require much imagination to generate a thousand reasons why people do anything.

In the present case, how about "KYLE is marginal, could be improved in these ways"? Why not "KYLE achieves a level of entertainment value in being mediocre, that exceeds many things which are borderline 'good' "? How about even "KYLE is simply marvelous in most respects, save the following........"?

Not to mention reasons which may lie quite outside of the show itself.....try: "I have chosen to comment on this show as I had high hopes for it, but do not wish to be unfair, let me give it a chance and continue watching," or: "I wish KYLE was better, I would not want to just bash it, so here are some very detailed specifics -- maybe some will agree with these, maybe many will not."

Some seem to react personally to criticism of something they enjoy, but let it be noted that MY intention is never to devalue or diminish those who have found something they liked, but for my purposes (I have stated quite plainly before), entertainment value is not strictly related to perceived quality. I found Kyle to be relatively mediocre and entertaining enough to watch. Is that a difficult concept?

Also, I generally do not respect people who drop in to snipe as in: "KYLE sucks hard," never to provide broader insight or elucidation to their viewpoint. When I commit to commentary, I try to be very specific -- to some I'm sure this detailing appears to be going to great length to hammer a thing, rather it reflects my level of commitment to the undertaking of appraising something and being fair to that undertaking with (possibly exhaustive) specifics.

How might we hope to get a higher level of entertainment? I'm sure the producers of KYLE never envisioned that my demographic might be watching, or might be thinking in depth about what they work so hard to put out -- were I such a producer, "KYLE sucks hard," is almost utterly useless to me..... on the other hand there is this guy churning out a river of specific observations.

Whether this effort is attended to by those who offer up such things or MAY offer these entertainments, is their option completely, of course -- but I have honored my commitment to myself when I undertook to comment -- I did my job, now........

ABC, local KGTV, can I see the last episode of KYLE, please?
post #114 of 281 Old 09-02-2006, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Heh, heh .... always check yer TiVo's

My local ABC station preempted the last episode for Bengal's preseason football. Fortunately I caught it a week ago and set up my TiVo to capture the ABC Family feed on Monday, just in case I would be unable to pull in my alternate DMA ABC station on Friday due to potentially unfavorable weather/tropo conditions. So ... at least I got to see it in glorious bitstarved SD.
post #115 of 281 Old 09-03-2006, 11:14 AM
O2C
Advanced Member

I forget. Is it against the rules to offer to send out a recording of the final episode in exchange for a self addressed, postage paid disc mailer? After running it through VideoRedo to chop out the commercials, I'm left with an MPG file that'll fit on a single disc without having to re-encode it.
post #116 of 281 Old 09-03-2006, 02:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You're not missing much. I will say this last episode stole so many common themes from so many other sci-fi movies it's not worth mentioning. Lame.

post #117 of 281 Old 09-03-2006, 04:18 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

Heh, heh .... always check yer TiVo's

My local ABC station preempted the last episode for Bengal's preseason football. Fortunately I caught it a week ago and set up my TiVo to capture the ABC Family feed on Monday, just in case I would be unable to pull in my alternate DMA ABC station on Friday due to potentially unfavorable weather/tropo conditions. So ... at least I got to see it in glorious bitstarved SD.

Worse here, they pre-empted the last two episodes for Eagles pre-season football.
post #118 of 281 Old 09-03-2006, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Cmon now, preseason football is at least SOMETHING -- but PROBLEM CHILD?!!! -- that is more than a non-event, that is an insulting snub! I repeat, there was NO probable cause for that substitution -- nothing earlier in the day or even the week -- nothing, except perhaps to redirect viewership to ABC FAMILY, but alas, that is not on my horizon, nor would it appear that a rescheduling is either.

I'm not precisely sure what is to be done with an MPG file, but if there is a way to finish what I started, I'm game -- though I surmise the finale did not necessarily prove itself worthy of heroic measures.

Oh well, I do at least like that fantasy/sci-fi, even of the "quasi" kind, is being made/attempted, that alone gets my interest every time. It occurs to me ABC may have been sending a message with this one though: your investment will in the end prove utterly wasted, and in case you don't get it, forget seeing the finale (take our word for it -- wasn't worth worrying about). Guess you know best ABC.
post #119 of 281 Old 09-03-2006, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

It aired fine in HD on my local abc affilliate. I have to say it was a good ending with a few surprises and no huge plot holes and I loved the ending and what it set up. I could totally tell about the guy in the church though. I do think kyle should have noticed as smart as he is but other than that a real good ending to the season.
post #120 of 281 Old 09-04-2006, 03:11 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Cmon now, preseason football is at least SOMETHING

Well, but they could have showed it in the middle of the night; but maybe they couldn't do it in HD then anyway, I don't know. I checked the Guide on the penultimate episode, but nothing. The last episode, was supposed to air late night, but didn't. Now, that I think of it, when they air other shows later, it isn't in HD anyway, so ABC Family in SD was the best we were going to get, I guess.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page