Problems with Motorola DCP501 - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 86 Old 03-05-2009, 01:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
comcast won't and will not actavate my phatom motorola dcp501 i been told only boxes that belongs to them do,my box doesn't have any digital channels just the analogs.is there any software i can burn 2 a dvd from my laptop then put it in the phatom's dvd player?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 86 Old 03-05-2009, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jachance View Post

I just want to be clear here, because the place that i bought my DCP501 from said it was plug n play...inphome.com ....
1. I have to have an account with my cable company
2. I have to have to fight with them to have it added to my account
3. I will only get the stations that I have subscribed to

And the purpose of this box is to save me the $5 per month if i was renting???

4. When it breaks you are responsible.
post #63 of 86 Old 03-21-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMI Guy View Post

Ah.. of course ...
This explains the reason that there sales number were some high upon release...

So I finally call my cable company to get it activated... and they tell me the serial number that i am giving them does not exist. I call the company i bought the thing from, and of course... they cant talk to me over the phone I have to wait for someone to email me.... this is the biggest joke ever....

And i thought FTA's were complicated .... they dont have anything on this mess
post #64 of 86 Old 04-02-2009, 04:49 PM

I just bought my DCP501 from the same company and I'm having the same problem here in So Cal with Fios. They are saying they only activate boxes they lease. There's got to be a way around this. I have six TVs and definately don't want to pay the monthly rental fees...
post #65 of 86 Old 04-02-2009, 05:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
You have to keep trying with them and hope someone will. If they won't activate it, there's no way to get it to work. Same with any cable company.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #66 of 86 Old 04-03-2009, 10:18 AM

OMARPLEE, return the box. FIOS can't talk to that box, so they can't turn it on even if they wanted to. The Motorola series STB that FIOS uses is made specialy for them. It get its data from the FIOS data stream, not from the data stream that a cable company would use.

Mallego
post #67 of 86 Old 05-20-2009, 12:10 AM

I just got the Motorola DCP-501 and I'm only getting basic digital cable (channels 2-74) without a program guide or anything. My cable provider is Time Warner Cable. If I call the cable company, will I be charged for anything? I'm in Kansas City, Missouri. Has anyone with Time Warner been able to get the DCP-501 to work to it's full potential?

I do have a new DCP-501. A sticker was attached to the front of the unit with serial numbers and stuff, so I'm covered there. Can anyone point me in the right direction as far as what to do next? I would certainly appreciate any suggestions anyone makes.

Thank you so much,
Jay
post #68 of 86 Old 05-20-2009, 12:17 AM

Would your information apply to Time Warner Cable as well? I'm in Missouri and I just got the Motorola Phantom DCP501. I can only get basic digital cable to work but I haven't called the cable company yet.
post #69 of 86 Old 05-20-2009, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMI Guy View Post

Is it even worth buying the phantom if you getting only the channels you subscribe to? I just got my DCP501 yesterday and I'm seriously thinking of returning it for a refund after reading everything in this forum.
post #70 of 86 Old 06-23-2009, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmankd View Post

i finally had my cable box provisioned by comcast but i am still geating the analog channels and not the digitial channels does anyone have any idea why?
i called them 4 times about it already so they are sending a tech out tommorrow to check it out. if anyones knows how i can get this to work please share thank you

If you take the time to carefully read the manual that comes with the DCP501 it states that in order to have the provider activate the reciever it must be in digital mode first. If you have already gone through the built in main menu and done a channel scan, it automatically sets the unit into Analog mode. To get back into Digital mode before getting it digitally provisioned is rather complex and is not covered in the manual usually requiring a full factory reset.
post #71 of 86 Old 06-23-2009, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsf100 View Post

Hi,
I just purchased a used DCP501, it came with no remote. Anyone have any idea where I could get a used remote for it or an affordable universal thats compatable with this av receiver? Thanks

Your best bet for getting the right remote is through the motarola website, it may take a while to locate and a few emails but they still have the remotes available.
post #72 of 86 Old 11-28-2009, 05:44 AM

Considering a dcp501. If my cable co (time warner) USED to use motorola but is now SA, do I have any hope of getting it activated?

We were adelphia, which was all motorola, and I had a moto box until it had issues a few months back, and they wouldn't give me another moto.
post #73 of 86 Old 03-09-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgc101 View Post

Trying to get activated with Comcast in the Philly area. Anyone using this box in the northwestern suburbs of Philly? Was on with a supervisor this weekend and she tried adding it, but was having trouble with the "box type" I told her it had a DTC 2000 inside, but she could not find it in their system. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

I bought two DCP501 units and have had them provisioned by Comcast in the Southern New Jersey area. It took me a while but I was able to get it done. Comcast first told me that they would not provision a box that I did not lease from them. I told them that the FCC said that I could own my own box and that they had to provision it. They refused to do so which led me to file a complaint with the BBB and the FCC. A couple of weeks after I filed my complaints, Comcast contacted me about provisioning the units and they have done so. Both units works great with on demand and all of the channels that I subscribe to. So it can be done. You just have to be persistent. The only thing is that they say the unit may not work on digital channels after June of this year because of upgrades to the system. That's fine with me because at least I got it to work now.
post #74 of 86 Old 03-09-2010, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Comcast and Motorola are no longer going to support the DCP-501. Letters are being sent out to those users urging them to rent a box or get a CableCard. Eventually these boxes will stop working as they will update to the next generation of Motorola software which doesn't work with it. Sorry for the bad news.
post #75 of 86 Old 05-14-2010, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I have an update, I've contacted Comcast of Michigan several times as well as their competition Charter and neither one will provision or authorize "owned" equipment. So... I was thinking that I could use a little persuasive help if I were able to specifically Cite the exact FCC rule that allows for a customer to Own their own equipment. This seems to be the main sticking point with both companies. They'll rent out their equipment but won't touch anything not "theirs". So If anyone can send me the EXACT FCC rule I can submit to the cable provider I might get further up the chain in provisioning / Authorizing / registering / Activating my equipment. The latest wrinkle they've announced is they are no longer going to provide Analog over their cables and go completely digital.
post #76 of 86 Old 05-14-2010, 03:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
I thought the ruling was just in regards to cableCARD (which the DCP501 never used, IIRC.)

Meaning that the cablecos were obliged to use a separate security card for their encryption, enabling the use of third party devices like TiVo, not that they would be obligated to activate ANY box.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #77 of 86 Old 05-28-2010, 09:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Comcast already sent me a letter saying that my DCP501's will stop working in mid-June due to Motorola not providing technical support to Comcast anymore for software updates. That's a shame.

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+ OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #78 of 86 Old 07-17-2010, 10:09 AM

Comcast told me as well that the DCP501 would no longer work after mid June. Well, it is now mid July and my DCP501 is still going strong. And I have no reason to think that it won't continue to run fine. I picked up a cable box from Comcast a couple of days ago and to my surprise it is a DCT2000 which I think the DCP501 has as part of its makeup. If this is true, then the DCP501 should continue to work fine until they stop supporting the DCT2000. Anyone else still have a working DCP501? I'm just curious. Thanks.
post #79 of 86 Old 07-17-2010, 01:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

I definitely wouldnt draw attention to this. I'll just leave it that there are many people still using these devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kusanami View Post

Comcast told me as well that the DCP501 would no longer work after mid June. Well, it is now mid July and my DCP501 is still going strong. And I have no reason to think that it won't continue to run fine. I picked up a cable box from Comcast a couple of days ago and to my surprise it is a DCT2000 which I think the DCP501 has as part of its makeup. If this is true, then the DCP501 should continue to work fine until they stop supporting the DCT2000. Anyone else still have a working DCP501? I'm just curious. Thanks.

SageTV:

post #80 of 86 Old 08-15-2010, 02:47 PM

I posted some info on another forum site about this topic, but I wanted to post some here so it can be found in future Google searches.

Of course, the information I am sharing is based on my own experiences, sadly without the cooperation of Motorola-- as they absolutely refused to talk to me about any of my findings, etc.

The Motorola DCP-501 shares a digital cable box model, similar to the DCT2000 series boxes out there. One major difference in the DCP-501 is that you, the end user/owner, can make changes to settings (audio settings: stereo mode, surround settings, etc., VCR record settings, etc.) that are stored in a spot in the flash memory. This is where things go wrong with the DCP-501 and the new firmware Comcast is pushing out (in my area, it is version 8.09).. The firmware needs more memory and tries to take the additional flash for it's business. The result: not all of the flash memory gets written. This leaves the box in a non-usable state (yes, it turns-on, but nothing works properly).

Comcast 'could' make a working firmware pushout for these boxes if they desired. The magic combination is to keep the base firmware at 7.59 and load the A28 TVguide update, along with the VOD update and interactive plugin. It could be called a success, but uses-up a lot of memory and leaves you with little "future" guide listings. Unclear if it supports SDV. The code appears to be there, but not used in this area yet.

Not much chance you will get them to make this firmware for you due to the fact that the agreed solution was to formerly have Motorola drop all support for the DCP-501 box.

One thing I may look into is to upgrade the actual flash memory chip to something more reasonable for today's firmware. This is not an easy task, and the odds are against me from the start (I dont have a solder flow station, etc.)

Before I waste all the efforts, I am looking into a legit source to get some Motorola DCX series units that are legal to purchase and have a Comcast-provided cablecard paired-up for use to the channels I subscribe to. Possibly I will get a cablecard rental fee to deal with. I have not heard of anyone getting out of multiple cablecard rental charges.

If someone has a DCP-501 that is not working (black screen, strange display when powered-up, etc) that is registered on Comcast, send me a msg.
post #81 of 86 Old 08-15-2010, 05:08 PM

Mine stopped working on July 25th. It worked perfectly on the 24th. Whatever Comcast did it stopped my SD Premium channels from coming thru for a few weeks on my DVR. Yes weeks.

I know that the tuner still works as audio is coming thru but no video. DVD still works.
post #82 of 86 Old 08-15-2010, 05:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Is there a way to see what version of firmware and guide version the DCP-501 is using via the front LCD screen and navigation buttons in the front of it? If there is, perhaps they could be nice enough to explain step by step how to do it. If someone know for sure, maybe they could answer this question too... Let's say all you cared about is sound.. like the XM/Sirius/and local stations.. would the box still receive guide channel updates like a new radio station?

SageTV:

post #83 of 86 Old 08-16-2010, 06:14 AM

To access the diagnostic screen on a DCP-501 unit:

1. Turn ON the DCP-501 and let it boot-up

2. Select CATV for source

3. Press and hold the 'setup' button on the front of the unit.

* Screen should turn black and a diagnostic menu will appear.

Can someone with a recently-broke unit try this to see if it still works? If this does not work, then you will need to look at your other DCT2000 series cable box (hopefully you still have one) and look at what firmware is running on it.
post #84 of 86 Old 11-20-2010, 10:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Does anyone know if there's a way to get the Motorola DCP-501 to recover automatically (turn on completely with the LCD display lit) from a power loss? If the power goes out and comes back, the DCP-501 will remain off.. pretty much all my electronics recover completely after power is restored; including my PC. Hopefully there's a setting for this on the DCP-501. Seems odd for it to stay off even after the power comes back on.

SageTV:

post #85 of 86 Old 01-17-2011, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcilink View Post
Before I waste all the efforts, I am looking into a legit source to get some Motorola DCX series units that are legal to purchase and have a Comcast-provided cablecard paired-up for use to the channels I subscribe to. Possibly I will get a cablecard rental fee to deal with. I have not heard of anyone getting out of multiple cablecard rental charges.
You can legally purchase the latest Motorola DVR's in Canada. Goto BestBuy.ca and search for shaw/moto dvr's.

I am seriously considering going to windsor bestbuy, picking one up and start the fight with comcast to provision it....
post #86 of 86 Old 01-17-2011, 01:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Comcast doesnt support adding these boxes for customers anymore. It's not a matter of fighting them. A while back, you could fight them to get them provisioned. Now, they just aren't supported period. I wouldnt waste your time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
You can legally purchase the latest Motorola DVR's in Canada. Goto BestBuy.ca and search for shaw/moto dvr's.

I am seriously considering going to windsor bestbuy, picking one up and start the fight with comcast to provision it....

SageTV:

Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page