post #31 of 40 Old 01-23-2008, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

Regarding consistancy, plenty of shows have gone HD part way through their run. Many older shows started in b/w, and switched to color when it was feasible.

One reason some shows stayed B&W long after it was feasible was because they were concerned that switching to color would reduce the value of the show's many previous seasons. Who would want to watch the old episodes any more if they were B&W?

This probably doesn't have much to do with 4:3 or HD but it was interesting trivia.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 01-23-2008, 06:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

It's his right to do as he wishes with his creation but give me a break on the above quote. Real life isn't contained in a 4:3 box, and what do "real life" and "real television" have in common?

Regarding consistancy, plenty of shows have gone HD part way through their run. Many older shows started in b/w, and switched to color when it was feasible.

One last comment. Why use widescreen previews for a 4:3 show?

Art

Amen! I commented about this issue in the other The Wire thread when it was still here, but which has now been banished by whimsical fiat to AVS Siberia, the Non-HD Forum. I believe that the show's creator's claim that sticking with 4:3 was an artistic decision is unconvincing. I'll give the guy credit for believing what he said but that doesn't mean I have to believe it. After all, there is a reason why the 4:3 Academy format was virtually abandoned by the movie industry in the 1950s and is hardly ever used these days for anything on TV that involves actors, either. If 4:3 were better, and not just cheaper, it's pretty clear, to me at least, that we would see a lot more of it than we do.
post #33 of 40 Old 01-23-2008, 06:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Amen! I commented about this issue in the other The Wire thread when it was still here, but which has now been banished by whimsical fiat to AVS Siberia, the Non-HD Forum.

Whimsical? Not quite.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #34 of 40 Old 01-23-2008, 06:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Topic moved.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #35 of 40 Old 05-09-2008, 04:30 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Topic moved.

Where was it MOVED?

It would be helpful if you would provide linkage to the new topics
when you do this.

-30-

Film Is NOT DEAD -- it is the Gold Standard against which all other formats are measured

Support ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO
post #36 of 40 Old 05-09-2008, 06:13 PM

Liked: 11
He moved the topic to a different forum; you already HAVE the linkage to the topic. You don't need a link to the forum to access the topic.
post #37 of 40 Old 05-12-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

He moved the topic to a different forum; you already HAVE the linkage to the topic. You don't need a link to the forum to access the topic.

I'm still looking for that different forum . . . . if I already have the linkage to that topic I am unaware of it . . .

Just looking for some help here as I don't claim to know AVS as well as some. . . . . if you don't care to help
just don't respond.

-30-

Film Is NOT DEAD -- it is the Gold Standard against which all other formats are measured

post #38 of 40 Old 05-12-2008, 03:50 PM

Liked: 11
I'm sorry but there aren't any other English words to explain it better that I did in my previous message (and clearly no one else though there was another way of explaining it either, since I'm the only person who was friendly enough to provide you any answer -- it seems to me that your providing me a "thank you" would have been a nicer and more appropriate reply). :shrug:
post #39 of 40 Old 05-13-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

I'm sorry but there aren't any other English words to explain it better that I did in my previous message (and clearly no one else though there was another way of explaining it either, since I'm the only person who was friendly enough to provide you any answer -- it seems to me that your providing me a "thank you" would have been a nicer and more appropriate reply). :shrug:

Hey, I'm not impuning your motives . . . just the result.

To wit: if one doesn't give the help asked for in the way it was asked for it is not helpful. . . . nor should one take offense when that is pointed out.

I assumed you meant well. But, Alas, the internet is not good at conveying tone or irony. I know that and will keep it more in mind.

In general: I take issue with the forum with the mods when they, from time to time, move or rename or block threads and don't provide additional info IE including but not limited to links.

It would seem simple to say "this topic has been moved to ............"

I also take issue with occasional member responses, not yours, sir, along the lines of "you should know this" or "you should use the search function."
because . . . they are not "helpful."

I posted this as a clarification and apology if any misinterpretation was created.

PM me if I didn't accomplish that as this is my last post on the matter.

Capn. C

-30-

Let me back up to the general:

post #40 of 40 Old 05-20-2008, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

Your question is valid. Here is the answer:

Scroll up to see which section of the forum the thread has been moved to, this is where you can see it:
LL
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page