QAM Tuner & Cablevision - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 45 Old 05-08-2008, 02:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 58
They're talking about if you have a basic cable subscription w/o a box or cablecard. The QAM tuner is used to snag HD channels that are in the clear.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 05-09-2008, 11:45 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

They're talking about if you have a basic cable subscription w/o a box or cablecard. The QAM tuner is used to snag HD channels that are in the clear.

Understood, makes perfect sense now
thanks,
T
post #33 of 45 Old 05-21-2008, 12:11 PM

Is there any way to get unscrambled HD channels using a QAM tuner WITHOUT a cable subscription?

Just wondering if that could be an alternative for people who aren't able to get OTA digital signals.
post #34 of 45 Old 05-21-2008, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Nope. You'll need to at the very least get their Broadcast Basic package.
post #35 of 45 Old 06-27-2008, 01:44 AM

I've done a lot of research on trying to find receivers that have both atsc and qam capability. On ebay there only a few being sold. The samsung sir-t451 being the most common of the three. I would also like to know if there are any other receivers that are like the sir-t451 that have both atsc and qam capability.
post #36 of 45 Old 06-27-2008, 07:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiezal View Post

I've done a lot of research on trying to find receivers that have both atsc and qam capability. On ebay there only a few being sold. The samsung sir-t451 being the most common of the three. I would also like to know if there are any other receivers that are like the sir-t451 that have both atsc and qam capability.

Newer model:
Samsung DTB-H260F
post #37 of 45 Old 09-12-2008, 02:37 PM

Not sure if this is the right forum.
My Sony KDL 40V3000 gets Cox Orange County CA HD channels. I am not a digital subscriber.
The Sony provides on screen Signal Diagnostics for each channel, but don't understand too much about it. Here is an example for CBS HD
-------------------
Channel 2.1
Physical Channel 85
Frequency KHZ 591000
Modulation QAM256
Status Lock
Errors 0
SNR db 35.78 (this fluctuates as you watch the channel.)
AGC % 40
Interleaving 1=128 J=4
----------------------
I had hoped this might be a clue to the actual channel shown on the screen, but the physical channel does not relate.
Bill
------------------
post #38 of 45 Old 02-01-2009, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Can anyone confirm that broadcast HD channels are available in clear QAM on Cablevision?

I have a QAM tuner in my HTPC, but I only seem to receive analog signals.

HTPC Enthusiast
post #39 of 45 Old 02-01-2009, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Yes, they're available. Check your settings in the software you're using with the tuner and do a rescan.
post #40 of 45 Old 02-01-2009, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioTech View Post

Yes, they're available. Check your settings in the software you're using with the tuner and do a rescan.

Well, here is the first problem. When I run the TV signal setup wizard in Catalyst Media Center, I am only given the option to scan for Analog. There is no option to scan for Digital. Any ideas?

HTPC Enthusiast
post #41 of 45 Old 02-03-2009, 02:28 PM

I have a new Toshiba 42" HDTV that is supposed to have a ATSC/WTSC/QAM tuner. Without anything except my outdoor, 12 foot boom antenna with a rotor, I usually get about 50 or more stations clearly. Some digital, some analog. A few more not so clear. Hooked it up to a VCR/DVD Analog machine and still gets about the same. Purchased a Toshiba VCR/DVD recorder/player and attempted to hook it up to that TV and nothing. Can't get it to work at all. Put the Sylvania VCR/DVD back and all is great. Don't know if the QAM part does anything at all though.
post #42 of 45 Old 02-03-2009, 03:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Nope, QAM is cable only.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #43 of 45 Old 02-04-2009, 06:02 AM

I use an HDHomerun with Cablevision in their Wappingers Falls, NY region. I get 7 or so HD broadcast channels, plus about a dozen digital SD channels.
post #44 of 45 Old 02-06-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtwannabe View Post

I use an HDHomerun with Cablevision in their Wappingers Falls, NY region. I get 7 or so HD broadcast channels, plus about a dozen digital SD channels.

I use an HDHomerun as well as 4 LCD Digital TV's of various brands with QAM tuners and all I get is the same standard definition shows that I get on any analoge TV without a cablebox and I get absolutly no HD network broadcast channels.

On my cable system (Cablevision of oakland) in Northern New jersey they broadcast there HD network programming on channel 702, 704, 705 etc which would be the same as the free OTA channels 2.1 (CBSHD) 4.2 (NBCHD) etc.

I hooked up a cheap indoor HD antenna (cost me $15.00) to my HDHomerun as well as a couple of my HDTV's and I can get all my OTA local HD channels so I know the QAM tuners all work.

Now I know about setting antenna types for cable or antenna in the QAM tuner setup and I'm pretty sure its not my setup.

When I call my cable company they tell me stuff like your tuner is set up wrong try setting it to HRC or IRC or CATV which my QAM tuners don't even have these settings they have either cable or antenna as selections. Or they tell me It must be a low signal. I even had one guy tell me that they haven't started broadcasting HD yet and it won't start until sometime next year. Then I informed him that through your cablebox I've been watching HD for the last 3 years. At that time he abruptly hung up on me. They have been no help at all.

Sorry about my venting and rambling on. Its been very fustrating investing all this money into equipment and it not doing what the cable company says it's susposed to do. I'm not asking for the world I just want to be able to watch my local network broadcasts in HD without having to have a cablebox on every TV I own.

Is there anyone out there that has cablevision in northern New jersey that is getting network HD broadcasts channels E.G CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX etc without having to use a cablebox?

Or is there anyone that may have some ideas or can explain to me why this is not possible.

8300HD
sara 1.89.17.1
WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB SATA 3.0Gb/s
APRICORN EZ-BUS-DTS-EKIT Enclosure
post #45 of 45 Old 02-06-2009, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I can get all my OTA local HD channels so I know the QAM tuners all work. OTA local HD channels would use the ATSC tuner and not the QAM tuner.

Now I know about setting antenna types for cable or antenna in the QAM tuner setup The QAM tuner setup should not include any antenna types. QAM is used for cable only.

You may need to recheck your settings.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page