TWC Consumer Input Thread - Page 23 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #661 of 685 Old 07-12-2008, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Yes, I'm in a former Adelphia area. TWC's support is less than Adelphia's but I find very little difference in the QoS internet/television-wise. Of course, there are too many channels I pay for that are never watched but this isn't limited to TWC. PQ is decent considering the one coax feed is split 7 times. HD looks like HD on HiDef channels. I cringe at Navigator's impending arrival. My point is mostly that, like any large corporation, profits are the main motivator and why would I expect freebies (see rabbit eared B&W TVs of the 60s) in this day and age? It's a little like asking Microsoft to put out a bug free Operating System.

Arvy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 685 Old 07-15-2008, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am switching to DishHD next week (from TW-Austin). Reasons I am switching:

1. Cost (if you don't have a Bundle). I have 2 HD boxes -1 DVR, no HD tier, a "special" $9.99 movie deal (HBO and Max), and pay $103. Switching to DishHD, all the HD I want (Sci-Fi, HD Tier stuff, and many others), 2 HD boxes (1 Dual tuner/DVR), plus HBO, Starz, and Max. all for $67.98 (regular price!).

2. Lack of HD channels as mentioned above.

3. Guide. I was on Dish 8 years ago and loved their guide. Figure TWC would have their act together by now and let the CUSTOMER have some flexability.

4. Did I say COST?

I switched TWC because of HD locals, not an issue now. Bye. PQ is very good.
post #663 of 685 Old 07-22-2008, 05:39 AM

Liked: 10
Like you I'm tired of being over charged by TWC and looking to make a change. Did you consider U-Verse? If you did, why did you go with Dish instead of U-Verse?
post #664 of 685 Old 07-22-2008, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I looked at U-verse since I am on AT&T DSL and like it. Unfortunately U-verse is not available in my area (Lakeway), and it did look higher cost than Dish. My Dish install is Thursday, I'll let you know how PQ is compared to TWC these days. Dish use to be much better, but from what I've ready TWC may have edge on PQ... but at $30-$40 more per month they should! I'm just hoping it's close, to me the DishHD package has way more HD content that I either can't get with TWC or currently watch in SD.
post #665 of 685 Old 01-07-2009, 10:40 PM

I switched to U-verse about a month ago. I was a long time TW customer but I just got fed up with all of the Navigator issues.

Frankly they broke things so bad I don't think they will ever get it right without scrapping Navigator and starting over.

I never had any issue with the technical competance or support of TW here in Charlotte, NC. They always were early to roll out new technology too.

However Navigator was such a step backward.
post #666 of 685 Old 01-13-2009, 09:35 AM

I'm in Greensboro, NC and was a TWC subsciber for eleven years. A couple of months back I switched to Dish because of lower pricing and so many more HD channels. After two weeks with Dish, I scrapped it and went back to TWC. Dish was impossible to navigate and the picture was horrible whenever it was cloudy or raining. When I got back TWC they had just added several new HD channels, which helped a bit. I don't think I would ever try Direct or Dish again. However, I'm still very frustrated by the low number of HD channels. Why do they lag so far behind satellite in HD channels?
post #667 of 685 Old 01-30-2009, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Time Warner is slowly gaining on Direct tv with HD offerings. If only they would launch Navigator here in Greensboro.
post #668 of 685 Old 01-30-2009, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

When I lived in SC, I loved TWC. That was back when Diana (The person that started this thread) was still involved on AVS. Diana was awesome. I moved to Ohio about the same time as she moved to Connecticut, and my area was a former Adelphia area. We stayed with them for almost 3 years, and had very, very few HD channels added, and a couple taken away. I have been fed up for the last few months and called a local D* installer. I waited until the installer had the SWM available and all our local channels in HD. I had them install last week, and it's awesome. We had a snow storm this week, and never lost a single minute of signal, or picture quality for that matter. I was afraid to change to them, but now I'm thrilled I did. I am waiting for an all out thunderstorm this spring to see how resilient my signal is, but I won't even be disappointed if it does cut out during a major downpour because it's worth it to me to get the huge numbers of HD channels available on D*. I figure if TWC ever adds some HD in the future, or gets SDV in my area, I may try them again after my contract is up. But for now, I love my D* and am keeping TWC only for roadrunner. Make sure you research your installer before you get D* and don't just call 1800directv and get some moron installer if you do decide to change though. My installer went above and beyond for us and we have very strong signals and a well mounted dish. Rambling over.

It's not just a hobby, it's an obsession...
post #669 of 685 Old 03-06-2009, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky_Mark896 View Post

When I lived in SC, I loved TWC. That was back when Diana (The person that started this thread) was still involved on AVS. Diana was awesome. I moved to Ohio about the same time as she moved to Connecticut, and my area was a former Adelphia area. We stayed with them for almost 3 years, and had very, very few HD channels added, and a couple taken away. I have been fed up for the last few months and called a local D* installer. I waited until the installer had the SWM available and all our local channels in HD. I had them install last week, and it's awesome. We had a snow storm this week, and never lost a single minute of signal, or picture quality for that matter. I was afraid to change to them, but now I'm thrilled I did. I am waiting for an all out thunderstorm this spring to see how resilient my signal is, but I won't even be disappointed if it does cut out during a major downpour because it's worth it to me to get the huge numbers of HD channels available on D*. I figure if TWC ever adds some HD in the future, or gets SDV in my area, I may try them again after my contract is up. But for now, I love my D* and am keeping TWC only for roadrunner. Make sure you research your installer before you get D* and don't just call 1800directv and get some moron installer if you do decide to change though. My installer went above and beyond for us and we have very strong signals and a well mounted dish. Rambling over.

I agree about Diana. Wonder what happened to her. If she even is still working for Time Warner. Anyone know?
post #670 of 685 Old 03-09-2009, 09:39 AM

I just got U-Verse U-300 and 6Mb Isp .... Love it currently in the Milw WI area there are 103 HD channels ... Good BYE TWC
post #671 of 685 Old 03-09-2009, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazywoody View Post

I agree about Diana. Wonder what happened to her. If she even is still working for Time Warner. Anyone know?

TWC didn't want her on here anymore. I talked to her a few months/year ago. She's still in CT. She still works for TWC. She'll email you back if you pm her.

It's not just a hobby, it's an obsession...
post #672 of 685 Old 06-04-2009, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Make sure you research your installer before you get D* and don't just call 1800directv and get some moron installer if you do decide to change though.

What things do you need to do to research your installer? Does this work for cable and U-Verse as well?

Jack

SA-8300-HDC: TWC Navigator: ODN 7.2.11

Metro-Milwaukee Wisconsin

post #673 of 685 Old 06-07-2009, 01:54 PM
B7k

I am annoyed with TWC NEO when i signed up for "Digital Cable" I was excited but my excitement soon faded as i had learned how to enter the main os (SARA, I have seen super Nintendo games with better graphics) and check the mpeg status of a channel and found out that their were some digital channels. But most of them were still in analog. Although the on demand app is new and very good it just dose not make up for the lies the customer rep told me "Ya all channels above 100 are all digital" That was a bunch of BS If only i could get U-verse.
post #674 of 685 Old 06-07-2009, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by B7k View Post

I am annoyed with TWC NEO when i signed up for "Digital Cable" I was excited but my excitement soon faded as i had learned how to enter the main os (SARA, I have seen super Nintendo games with better graphics) and check the mpeg status of a channel and found out that their were some digital channels. But most of them were still in analog. Although the on demand app is new and very good it just dose not make up for the lies the customer rep told me "Ya all channels above 100 are all digital" That was a bunch of BS If only i could get U-verse.

It would be extremely unusual and very doubtful that much of anything beyond channel 78 (550MHz) was analog. That is almost universally true across all operators, with the notable exception of Cox, which pushed analog beyond 550MHz in some systems.

Beyond that, many (not all) TWC systems have all or nearly all of the "analog" channels 2-78 simulcast in digital, albeit with 12-16 channels stuffed per QAM channel. Although this can vary among systems (especially in systems acquired from other operators such as Adelphia), it has become somewhat common to find STBs in TWC systems without analog tuners, meaning that those systems have 100% simulcast in place - EVERYTHING delivered on those systems by digital STB is digital.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #675 of 685 Old 06-07-2009, 04:11 PM
B7k

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post

It would be extremely unusual and very doubtful that much of anything beyond channel 78 (550MHz) was analog. That is almost universally true across all operators, with the notable exception of Cox, which pushed analog beyond 550MHz in some systems.

Beyond that, many (not all) TWC systems have all or nearly all of the "analog" channels 2-78 simulcast in digital, albeit with 12-16 channels stuffed per QAM channel. Although this can vary among systems (especially in systems acquired from other operators such as Adelphia), it has become somewhat common to find STBs in TWC systems without analog tuners, meaning that those systems have 100% simulcast in place - EVERYTHING delivered on those systems by digital STB is digital.

I want everyone too know im a novice just learning how this digital cable works but I had forgot to mention the area i did move into was built on an old adelphia infrastructure and im going to list some of these so called digital channels beyond 100 using my favorites http://www.twclineup.com/lineups/NEO...dLU_102407.pdf

SARA INFO
LOTS and LOTS of software Anomalies
Mostly WARNINGS! about an IPG Daemon ??
Current QAM status
ch106 cartoon network freq:477.000MHz Tuning Mode:Analog
ch113 hallmark freq:321.000MHz Tuning Mode:Analog
ch114 tvland freq:429.000MHz Tuning Mode:Analog
ch115 american life tv freq:711.000MHZ Tuning Mode:QAM-256Bs (Digital)
ch130 discovery freq:405.000MHZ Tuning Mode:Analog
ch132 science channel freq:765.000MHz Tuning Mode:QAM-256Bs (Digital)

ok i think you can grasp what is going on the rest of my favorites past 100 are like that hit or miss. What i think is going on here is most of the channels past 100 are clones of the basic cable analog setup the more i read up on this technology of cable systems the more informed i am when talking to customer support and they usually have no idea of what im talking about so i usually get passed off too tier 2or3 support lol Then found this forum so i though what the heck signed up and found this topic so now i hope to find better answers here then the cable company
post #676 of 685 Old 06-07-2009, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

I want everyone too know im a novice just learning how this digital cable works but I had forgot to mention the area i did move into was built on an old adelphia infrastructure and im going to list some of these so called digital channels beyond 100 using my favorites http://www.twclineup.com/lineups/NEO...dLU_102407.pdf

SARA INFO
LOTS and LOTS of software Anomalies
Mostly WARNINGS! about an IPG Daemon ??
Current QAM status
ch106 cartoon network freq:477.000MHz Tuning Mode:Analog
ch113 hallmark freq:321.000MHz Tuning Mode:Analog
ch114 tvland freq:429.000MHz Tuning Mode:Analog
ch115 american life tv freq:711.000MHZ Tuning Mode:QAM-256Bs (Digital)
ch130 discovery freq:405.000MHZ Tuning Mode:Analog
ch132 science channel freq:765.000MHz Tuning Mode:QAM-256Bs (Digital)

ok i think you can grasp what is going on the rest of my favorites past 100 are like that hit or miss. What i think is going on here is most of the channels past 100 are clones of the basic cable analog setup the more i read up on this technology of cable systems the more informed i am when talking to customer support and they usually have no idea of what im talking about so i usually get passed off too tier 2or3 support lol Then found this forum so i though what the heck signed up and found this topic so now i hope to find better answers here then the cable company

You appear to be correct about the clones... you will note that the three channels listed as analog all have relatively low RF frequencies... below the Ch 78/550MHz boundary I mentioned:
  • Display Channel 106 = 477 MHz = RF Channel 66
  • Display Channel 113 = 321 MHz = RF Channel 40
  • Display Channel 114 = 429 MHz = RF Channel 58
  • Display Channel 130 = 405 MHz = RF Channel 54
It looks like the analog channel is just mapped in the box to the higher display channel.

I would think that you being on an ex-Adelphia system has a huge bearing on things like this... first, Adelphia really ran their systems into the ground before they packed it in. Second, the channel mapping probably helps getting the channel lineups closer to the "real" TWC systems in the area until the system can be upgraded and the regulatory hurdles jumped to allow the systems to truly become one.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #677 of 685 Old 06-08-2009, 01:16 AM
B7k

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post

You appear to be correct about the clones... you will note that the three channels listed as analog all have relatively low RF frequencies... below the Ch 78/550MHz boundary I mentioned:
  • Display Channel 106 = 477 MHz = RF Channel 66
  • Display Channel 113 = 321 MHz = RF Channel 40
  • Display Channel 114 = 429 MHz = RF Channel 58
  • Display Channel 130 = 405 MHz = RF Channel 54
It looks like the analog channel is just mapped in the box to the higher display channel.

I would think that you being on an ex-Adelphia system has a huge bearing on things like this... first, Adelphia really ran their systems into the ground before they packed it in. Second, the channel mapping probably helps getting the channel lineups closer to the "real" TWC systems in the area until the system can be upgraded and the regulatory hurdles jumped to allow the systems to truly become one.

you have confirmed what i have believed i hope it dose not take too long to get the network upgraded as i had mystro where i lived before but it was an old twc area and every thing was digital and enhanced. but as for the internet for $45/mo i have no complants and i did not sign up for the turbo service with power boost i should only be geting 4-5Mb/s down Residential - 6Mbps/512Kbps as for my upload it has stayed the same i was able to reset some things in my SB5120 modem i bought @ microcenter i have no idea what i did or why i got such a spike in my downstream but im not complaining sometimes i wonder why i even use the cable too watch tv with such services as hulu and a good graphics card output with s-video i find my self only watch things ondemand lol

post #678 of 685 Old 06-12-2009, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Understand Navigator is being launched in Greensboro and the Triad area of NC in July and August.
post #679 of 685 Old 06-12-2009, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

you have confirmed what i have believed i hope it dose not take too long to get the network upgraded as i had mystro where i lived before but it was an old twc area and every thing was digital and enhanced. but as for the internet for $45/mo i have no complants and i did not sign up for the turbo service with power boost i should only be geting 4-5Mb/s down Residential - 6Mbps/512Kbps as for my upload it has stayed the same i was able to reset some things in my SB5120 modem i bought @ microcenter i have no idea what i did or why i got such a spike in my downstream but im not complaining sometimes i wonder why i even use the cable too watch tv with such services as hulu and a good graphics card output with s-video i find my self only watch things ondemand lol

I've had a boost in internet speed for the last 3-4 weeks here as well in NW Pennsylvania(out of Hermitage, PA. Old ADELPHIA system as well. HUB was out of New Castle, PA for Adelphia. HUB now out of Akron, OH for TWC).

Anyway, I just have the basic internet service, and my download speed was supposed to be 1.5MB tops, but now it is at 2.0MB consistently. Upload is still 378kbps though.
post #680 of 685 Old 08-26-2009, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Pity this Poor thread it has died 'rest in peace'
post #681 of 685 Old 10-04-2009, 07:14 PM

Not dead yet!

I live in Central New York, near Syracuse, and I have been having some really nasty audio and video issues. I am getting terrible pixelation(picture looks like a multi color mosaic) and skipping audio. It makes dialogue and music sound robotic.

I thought it was the DVR, a SA 8300SD, but after going through 4-5 of them within a year it was obvious it was not. I then called Time Warner and they came out to look at both this problem and my Road Runner problem and for a while it seemed to be OK but for the past few months it has been getting worse with the Discovery Channel and CNN being the worst. Hearing the robotic sounds is actually kind of funny sometimes but when it happens during a movie it gets irritating.
post #682 of 685 Old 10-07-2009, 06:48 AM

Been using an antenna and basic cable on my HD sets. Decided to look at Sat, Fios and digital cable HD. It seems to be the same with all of them. They claim to offer a million channels but when you look at their packages you really get a bunch of junk.
example - digital cable:
Music channels most people could care less about.
Just about every free HD channel is dupicated in the basic, standard and digital basic in SD.
But wait there's more....You also get free faith and spansih channels.
And how about all the shopping channels? Just what we all like to do is just shop from the comfort of our living room.
They then break out some of the HD offerings from the three basic lists, again dupicating channels and make little extra cost tiers out of them.
I understand they are looking to make money, but offer something people really want.
These overpaid TV provider execs that setup these packages need to look for a new career.
HD is now the standard but we still get to pay for the old analog signal. Its like coming out with color TV and telling us we have to pay to watch a program in color. All we want is good HD programming wthout all the other junk. But they keep telling us we get 200+ channels, only thing is 150 of them are garbage!
Buffalo, NY
post #683 of 685 Old 10-07-2009, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasko View Post

Been using an antenna and basic cable on my HD sets. Decided to look at Sat, Fios and digital cable HD. It seems to be the same with all of them. They claim to offer a million channels but when you look at their packages you really get a bunch of junk.
example - digital cable:
Music channels most people could care less about.
Just about every free HD channel is dupicated in the basic, standard and digital basic in SD.
But wait there's more....You also get free faith and spansih channels.
And how about all the shopping channels? Just what we all like to do is just shop from the comfort of our living room.
They then break out some of the HD offerings from the three basic lists, again dupicating channels and make little extra cost tiers out of them.
I understand they are looking to make money, but offer something people really want.
These overpaid TV provider execs that setup these packages need to look for a new career.
HD is now the standard but we still get to pay for the old analog signal. Its like coming out with color TV and telling us we have to pay to watch a program in color. All we want is good HD programming wthout all the other junk. But they keep telling us we get 200+ channels, only thing is 150 of them are garbage!
Buffalo, NY

I hope you feel better now.
post #684 of 685 Old 11-02-2009, 09:38 AM

I called Time Warner Cable and they sent a guy out to look at my problem. My problem was the same as last time. Pixelation on almost every channel and unbearable audio stuttering. People literally sound like they are robots. So, he checked everything out and said he didn't know what the problem was. He changed all connectors inside and out and for the past week it worked. No problems whatsoever until today. It's doing it yet again.

I have had my wiring checked by both electricians and by National Grid themselves who've seen no problems.

I have also switched DVR's multiple times with no success.

I have checked every possible connection.
post #685 of 685 Old 07-12-2010, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Supprised this thread is still open.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page