TWC Consumer Input Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 685 Old 10-19-2006, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
LL3HD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Flushing, New York, USA
Posts: 5,409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaTWCSC View Post

The last 3 posts are really getting beyond anything...

Geeze, I feel like a buzzkill, like I killed the party, like a Moderator

but seriously, any information you provide is appreciated. Thanks again.

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
LL3HD is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 685 Old 10-22-2006, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AndyHDTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is it possible for every TWC division to have a specific number to call for HD Issues?
As you know, the number of HD subscribers are growing and most CSR's knowledge of HD is non existent. If there was a HD only number to call, with CSR's that were trained specifically to answer HD questions, I think that would be beneficial to TWC and it's subscribers.

thanks Andy

Email Melinda Witmer at TWC Corporate, the SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT & CHIEF PROGRAMMING OFFICER if you want more HD Channels!!!
Melinda.Witmer@twcable.com
AndyHDTV is offline  
post #183 of 685 Old 10-22-2006, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DoubleDAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Peoria, AZ (75 Ave & T-Bird)
Posts: 9,851
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Another idea that might be useful is a moderated Q&A forum (or FAQ section) on each division's website where accepted questions/answers are posted, kind of how Click & Clack deal with the myriad of car-related questions out there. They can't possibly answer all questions, but they pick those that have broad appeal and post them on their website. Many questions in these forums are asked/answered multiple times, oftentimes with answers unique to a specific division. Having these posted as FAQs on the company website might just cut down on the frustration of having to research these forums and might also cut down on incorrect information. Then too, the company websites might actually be useful for something besides prices and channel lineups that only appeal to potential new customers.

Cheers, Dave
DoubleDAZ is online now  
post #184 of 685 Old 10-22-2006, 09:30 PM
Newbie
 
anahita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thanks
anahita is offline  
post #185 of 685 Old 10-23-2006, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
scsiraid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Vero Beach, FL
Posts: 1,887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyHDTV View Post

Is it possible for every TWC division to have a specific number to call for HD Issues?
As you know, the number of HD subscribers are growing and most CSR's knowledge of HD is non existent. If there was a HD only number to call, with CSR's that were trained specifically to answer HD questions, I think that would be beneficial to TWC and it's subscribers.

thanks Andy

Same statement could be made for cablecards....
scsiraid is offline  
post #186 of 685 Old 10-23-2006, 05:52 PM
Newbie
 
nortchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Diana - Thanks again for hearing our suggestions, below are my thoughts for a new IPG (in no particular order or importance).

1. Progress bar telling how much space is left on DVR (passport does not provide it without going to the diag screen)

2. Better conflict resolution. Being able to find the same show playing at a later date and recording it then.

3. "Folder" based organization of shows. So if I have 4 episodes of Nip/Tuck recorded they go into a Nip/Tuck folder. Helps prevent cluster on the list.

4. As with everybody else, 16:9 HD guide plus 14 days of programming.

5. Definitely need to support SATA drive, and tie the encryption to the account not the box. (Hopefully with the fix to the live tv buffer issue on current passports).

6. I think I read that Navigator is already using a log to show what was and wasn't recorded and why, props on that.

That's all I can think of for now...

Thanks again!

Oh one more thing I will agree with everybody, it would be great to have some sort of email list or site we can go to to see what you guys are working on.

SA 8240HDC - Navigator 2.4.9_3 ODN
Waiting for eSata fix
nortchuck is offline  
post #187 of 685 Old 10-24-2006, 05:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
John Mason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 10,595
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Numerous AVS posts discuss PQ for individual channels: whether it's a source or cable problem, who's seeing breakups, is the source missing system wide, etc...

Suggest the guides provide an option to determine the quality of incoming signals to head ends. A simple form of the incoming- PQ guide might show just a meter readout such as zero signal, poor, good. A more techie readout could show numerical values for various parameters similar to what's currently available in diagnostics mode, although my diagnostics seems to show MPEG data errors for all channels within a frequency band, not on a per-channel basis. -- John
John Mason is online now  
post #188 of 685 Old 10-24-2006, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
joe221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: West Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posts: 3,440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I don't remember if this has been posted here or not. A very annoying trait of the 6416/iGuide is:
I'm watching a show live that is also recording. During the show a second recording is about to begin. A warning pops up that I need to let it change the channel or cancel a recording. That is infuriating with a device that has two tuners. The MOXI never did this, the second show just recorded in the background. Why do I need to make any choice? It should absolutely know what to do and leave me alone.

Score one for MOXI. MoxiGuy must be rolling right now!

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
joe221 is offline  
post #189 of 685 Old 10-24-2006, 04:01 PM
Senior Member
 
ejunior2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 238
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe221 View Post

I don't remember if this has been posted here or not. A very annoying trait of the 6416/iGuide is:
I'm watching a show live that is also recording. During the show a second recording is about to begin. A warning pops up that I need to let it change the channel or cancel a recording. That is infuriating with a device that has two tuners. The MOXI never did this, the second show just recorded in the background. Why do I need to make any choice? It should absolutely know what to do and leave me alone.

Score one for MOXI. MoxiGuy must be rolling right now!

A related (I think) issue I have is when two shows are recording and I want to change the channel to someting live. I get a warning that I need to choose between recording and stopping recording to change the channel. But, it doesn't ask me WHICH recording i'd like to stop. It musts choose based on priority or something. Again, the Moxi would give you the chopice of which I would like to cancel recording on.

The programming on this DVR has got to be the WORST and most ill-concieved I've ever encountered and I've used PVR's for years including Tivo, ReplayTV, 2 Dish Network PVRs and the Moxi.

Erik
ejunior2 is offline  
post #190 of 685 Old 10-24-2006, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bgooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,759
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
"What do you like about guides you have experienced? What do you hate? Describe aspects or functionality that would be part of your perfect Interactive Program Guide(IPG)?"

Tivo is the best. Personalization of the channel line up. Ability to choose which channels appear in my lineup. Search keywords. Season Pass. Customization.

Open up the VOD user interface with improved graphics and searching capabilities. Netfilx website is fantastic.

I love using links on the internet and would hope they will be available with cable tv. Give me the ability to start at the top, all episodes and drill down to a specific segment or appearance. But don't force me to navigate multiple levels Recently I read Steve Jobs insists content be attainable at the iTunes store within 3 clicks.

Don't crowd the IPG with ads. Move towards more multimedia content for ads that subscribers can select for more information. Don't push content. Let subscribers choose. If I pause VOD I don't wish to be bombarded with now showing in screaming loud audio after a few moments.
bgooch is offline  
post #191 of 685 Old 10-24-2006, 11:25 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
DSperber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Marina Del Rey, CA, USA
Posts: 5,399
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe221 View Post

I don't remember if this has been posted here or not. A very annoying trait of the 6416/iGuide is:
I'm watching a show live that is also recording. During the show a second recording is about to begin. A warning pops up that I need to let it change the channel or cancel a recording. That is infuriating with a device that has two tuners. The MOXI never did this, the second show just recorded in the background. Why do I need to make any choice? It should absolutely know what to do and leave me alone.

Score one for MOXI. MoxiGuy must be rolling right now!

Well first, the two tuners in the 64xx boxes ARE independent of each other, but there are only two and not three.

So if two recordings are scheduled to occur at the same time and you happen to be watching a third channel there's no question the conflict must be resolved somehow, and you are in charge. It wants to start your recordings and therefore must change the tuner you're currently using in order to record one of the pre-programmed shows. The other tuner will automatically get the second pre-programmed show.

But if two recordings are scheduled for the same time you can't be watching a third live show. Sorry. And this has nothing to do with Moxi vs. 64xx. You can record two live shows at the same time, while you're watching a third recorded show (from MyDVR list), but you can't watch/record three live shows at once.


Second, if you didn't have two shows scheduled to record at this one moment when you got the popup message, I suspect you don't yet have both tuners actually "active" yet, so that the one and only active tuner wanted to change its focus to go into record mode... and thus asked you that question.

But had both tuners actually been activated, and there was only one program scheduled for recording while you were watching something else, the second tuner would have automatically been assigned by the box to handle that recording and you would never have been bothered with that question. The tuner you were currently using to watch something would have remained dedicated to that show, and the "background" tuner would have moved into record mode.

So... have you "activated" the second tuner since acquiring your 6416? All you have to do is push the SWAP button and that swaps to the other tuner. If it's the first time you've done this then the channel tuned to by that second tuner will be the same as you were just watching on the first tuner. If it's other than the first time you've done this then the channel tuned to by the second tuner will be whatever it last was used for (recording or watching).

Once you've done this SWAP once, you now truly do have two totally independent tuners, both active and live, and you will never get the popup "tuner conflict resolution" message you got unless you genuinely have two programs scheduled to record at the same time and you are genuinely watching a third channel at that moment.
DSperber is offline  
post #192 of 685 Old 10-25-2006, 04:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
John Mason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 10,595
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:


You can record two live shows at the same time, while you're watching a third recorded show (from MyDVR list), but you can't watch/record three live shows at once.

How does that work? Since the two tuners and two read-write drive heads would be in use, this implies there's a third read-only drive head. Spotted a few posts from those saying they've done this, but then a Scientific Atlanta site (for 8300HD use) implies it's not possible.

I've tuned three live shows at once, using SWAP to switch between the inset and main channels, then tuning a 3rd analog-only unscrambled channel with a NTSC tuner. (A 4th monitored channel is accessible with one LAST (channel) key press. My display doesn't have PIP, but perhaps sets that do could display three at once(?)

Guess, to link all this to the thread topic, this should be all spelled out better in any guide.
-- John
John Mason is online now  
post #193 of 685 Old 10-25-2006, 06:05 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
DSperber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Marina Del Rey, CA, USA
Posts: 5,399
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post

How does that work? Since the two tuners and two read-write drive heads would be in use, this implies there's a third read-only drive head. Spotted a few posts from those saying they've done this, but then a Scientific Atlanta site (for 8300HD use) implies it's not possible.

We're talking about the Moto DCT6412/6416... not the SA8300HD.

The 64xx boxes actually do have three functional tuners, two for recording/watching live content, and a third for playback-only from the DVR recordings if both recording/watching tuners are currently in use recording something.

If both live/recording tuners are in use for recordings (so that REC appears on the display panel for both tuners, as observed when you push the SWAP button on the remote) all you have to do is push the MyDVR button on the remote (while actually watching what is being recorded by either tuner) and select some pre-recorded program from the DVR list (with the selected tuner's content still being shown, in the in-screen live-action window in the upper right corner) and OK/Select to begin playing that recorded content.

The display panel will then change from REC to PLAY, but the live/recording tuner previously in use will continue to record whatever was being recorded. The other tuner, of course, is completely unaffected and will continue to record whatever it was recording.

So you now really have three tuners cooking... two recording (both in the background, I guess you could say), and one playback for your viewing (in the foreground, actually putting out display to your HDTV).

Again... this is the 64xx we're talking about here.
DSperber is offline  
post #194 of 685 Old 10-25-2006, 06:22 AM
Senior Member
 
tamanaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post

How does that work?

I guess an oversimplified answer to your question is "Buffering".
tamanaco is offline  
post #195 of 685 Old 10-25-2006, 06:30 AM
Newbie
 
nortchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anybody know if Diana is still reading this thread? I'm really interested in finding out if she has any knew information on Navigator, eg release schedule.

SA 8240HDC - Navigator 2.4.9_3 ODN
Waiting for eSata fix
nortchuck is offline  
post #196 of 685 Old 10-25-2006, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DoubleDAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Peoria, AZ (75 Ave & T-Bird)
Posts: 9,851
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
John,

I don't know what SA site you are talking about. I routinely watch a recorded program while recording 2 others with my 8300HD, just like DSperber has been saying for the 64xx. The only difference is there has never been a need to "activate" either tuner, etc. Neither unit has anything more than a standard hard drive with a set of read/write heads. These drives/heads can keep up with writing 2 blocks of data while reading another block to give you the capability being discussed. It's not magic, it's just a function of the amount of data written/read as a single block to keep everything in sync. It's the same way your PC with a single drive keeps up with multiple programs all reading/writing to/from the drive.

Cheers, Dave
DoubleDAZ is online now  
post #197 of 685 Old 10-25-2006, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
DianaTWCSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortchuck View Post

Anybody know if Diana is still reading this thread? I'm really interested in finding out if she has any knew information on Navigator, eg release schedule.

Yes - but its my last week at my current job and I am preparing for the move, so I am not going to be able to get back with any information for a week or so. I don't mean to get your hopes up, but I have to get a few things done before I can enjoy the luxury of my new career.

Diana Smith
Director of Marketing for Video Services
Read our Phil the Cable Guy Blog!
DianaTWCSC is offline  
post #198 of 685 Old 10-25-2006, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
joe221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: West Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posts: 3,440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

Well first, the two tuners in the 64xx boxes ARE independent of each other, but there are only two and not three.

So if two recordings are scheduled to occur at the same time and you happen to be watching a third channel there's no question the conflict must be resolved somehow, and you are in charge. It wants to start your recordings and therefore must change the tuner you're currently using in order to record one of the pre-programmed shows. The other tuner will automatically get the second pre-programmed show.

But if two recordings are scheduled for the same time you can't be watching a third live show. Sorry. And this has nothing to do with Moxi vs. 64xx. You can record two live shows at the same time, while you're watching a third recorded show (from MyDVR list), but you can't watch/record three live shows at once.


Second, if you didn't have two shows scheduled to record at this one moment when you got the popup message, I suspect you don't yet have both tuners actually "active" yet, so that the one and only active tuner wanted to change its focus to go into record mode... and thus asked you that question.

But had both tuners actually been activated, and there was only one program scheduled for recording while you were watching something else, the second tuner would have automatically been assigned by the box to handle that recording and you would never have been bothered with that question. The tuner you were currently using to watch something would have remained dedicated to that show, and the "background" tuner would have moved into record mode.

So... have you "activated" the second tuner since acquiring your 6416? All you have to do is push the SWAP button and that swaps to the other tuner. If it's the first time you've done this then the channel tuned to by that second tuner will be the same as you were just watching on the first tuner. If it's other than the first time you've done this then the channel tuned to by the second tuner will be whatever it last was used for (recording or watching).

Once you've done this SWAP once, you now truly do have two totally independent tuners, both active and live, and you will never get the popup "tuner conflict resolution" message you got unless you genuinely have two programs scheduled to record at the same time and you are genuinely watching a third channel at that moment.

Sorry, Can You Read?? I was watching a show that was recording! That's the same tuner!

"I'm watching a show live that is also recording. During the show a second recording is about to begin. A warning pops up that I need to let it change the channel or cancel a recording. That is infuriating with a device that has two tuners. The MOXI never did this, the second show just recorded in the background. Why do I need to make any choice? It should absolutely know what to do and leave me alone."

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
joe221 is offline  
post #199 of 685 Old 10-25-2006, 10:07 AM
Newbie
 
nortchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaTWCSC View Post

Yes - but its my last week at my current job and I am preparing for the move, so I am not going to be able to get back with any information for a week or so. I don't mean to get your hopes up, but I have to get a few things done before I can enjoy the luxury of my new career.


Cool - good luck with the move.

SA 8240HDC - Navigator 2.4.9_3 ODN
Waiting for eSata fix
nortchuck is offline  
post #200 of 685 Old 10-25-2006, 11:37 AM
Member
 
Rhizzlebop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a complaint. Why when I go to my recorded list, I can see the "vague" details about the show or episode I am about to select to watch. However, once I start the recorded show playing, then when I hit info, I get a generic "recorded programming" or something message. The actual program info is not available again unless I stop the program then hit info from the recorded list menu, then start it back playing again.

Its a pain.


Also, of course, I wanna know when ESPN 2 HD is coming and ESPN U, but I saw where I'm not supposed to ask Diana that. Is it ok to put up the question for anyone else to comment on?

If not, I'll edit this post and remove the question.
Rhizzlebop is offline  
post #201 of 685 Old 10-25-2006, 11:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
John Mason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 10,595
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post

John,

I don't know what SA site you are talking about. I routinely watch a recorded program while recording 2 others with my 8300HD, just like DSperber has been saying for the 64xx. The only difference is there has never been a need to "activate" either tuner, etc. Neither unit has anything more than a standard hard drive with a set of read/write heads. These drives/heads can keep up with writing 2 blocks of data while reading another block to give you the capability being discussed. It's not magic, it's just a function of the amount of data written/read as a single block to keep everything in sync. It's the same way your PC with a single drive keeps up with multiple programs all reading/writing to/from the drive.

Okay, thanks. Googled with some terms, forgotten now, and got a pdf manual that looked like the 8300HD (from the remote diagram). An intro sentence suggested 3 sources wasn't possible. From the earlier 'buffering' post, yours, and others I see what's going on now. The data rates for 3 simultaneous MPEG channels and one drive head, if that's all there is, just seemed pretty high for one head. -- John
John Mason is online now  
post #202 of 685 Old 10-25-2006, 12:43 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
DSperber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Marina Del Rey, CA, USA
Posts: 5,399
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe221 View Post

Sorry, Can You Read?? I was watching a show that was recording! That's the same tuner!

You know, you have a certain attitude in your posts that's a bit off-putting. Do you know how to respond with a "neutral" tone, even if it is to disagree or point something out that might have been missed?

Yes, I did see your description... I can read. And I can say that your symptom has NEVER happened to me in the two years I've had my 6412, unless the circumstances I described were in place: namely that I was watching one channel and two recordings set to fire required two different channels, hence the need for three "live" tuners or my agreement to sacrifice what I was watching or to sacrifice one of the recordings.

Or... way back when, in the first few days of my 6412, before I realized that the second tuner didn't magically auto-activate itself until I actually pressed SWAP on the remote to kick it into life, so that only one of the two tuners was really running and it actually wanted to steal the first tuner (which was currently recording something) when the second timer event program required a different channel (hence the need for the second tuner).

These are exactly the circumstances I described in my polite reply to your original post. Since you are a relative newcomer to the Moto DVR it is possible you have not ever used the SWAP button yet, hence my comments.

Again... this has never since happened to me again, but if you want to continue to belittle the 6416 and tout the Moxi, and scowl at others who respond to your comments, be my guest.
DSperber is offline  
post #203 of 685 Old 10-25-2006, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
davehancock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hamburg, NY (near Buffalo)
Posts: 5,403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Guys,

Why don't you take your squabbles and posturing over certain box pros & cons to the appropriate DVR AVS Forum sites. Diana is trying to find out the features for new navigation software (which I assume is pretty much box neutral).

Dave Hancock
davehancock is offline  
post #204 of 685 Old 10-25-2006, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
joe221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: West Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posts: 3,440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

Guys,

Why don't you take your squabbles and posturing over certain box pros & cons to the appropriate DVR AVS Forum sites. Diana is trying to find out the features for new navigation software (which I assume is pretty much box neutral).

Actually, if a piece of hardware supplied by TWC isn't doing something correctly with software supplied by TWC, I would think that is appropriate to this discussion.
Then again, I could be wrong

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
joe221 is offline  
post #205 of 685 Old 10-25-2006, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
joe221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: West Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posts: 3,440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

You know, you have a certain attitude in your posts that's a bit off-putting. Do you know how to respond with a "neutral" tone, even if it is to disagree or point something out that might have been missed?

Yes, I did see your description... I can read. And I can say that your symptom has NEVER happened to me in the two years I've had my 6412, unless the circumstances I described were in place: namely that I was watching one channel and two recordings set to fire required two different channels, hence the need for three "live" tuners or my agreement to sacrifice what I was watching or to sacrifice one of the recordings.

Or... way back when, in the first few days of my 6412, before I realized that the second tuner didn't magically auto-activate itself until I actually pressed SWAP on the remote to kick it into life, so that only one of the two tuners was really running and it actually wanted to steal the first tuner (which was currently recording something) when the second timer event program required a different channel (hence the need for the second tuner).

These are exactly the circumstances I described in my polite reply to your original post. Since you are a relative newcomer to the Moto DVR it is possible you have not ever used the SWAP button yet, hence my comments.

Again... this has never since happened to me again, but if you want to continue to belittle the 6416 and tout the Moxi, and scowl at others who respond to your comments, be my guest.

I think one should look at the attitude one projects before criticizing the attitude of someone else. Then again, I could be wrong

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
joe221 is offline  
post #206 of 685 Old 10-29-2006, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Riverside_Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Upper West Side, Manhattan, NYC
Posts: 5,449
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe221 View Post

Actually, if a piece of hardware supplied by TWC isn't doing something correctly with software supplied by TWC, I would think that is appropriate to this discussion.
Then again, I could be wrong

Indeed, coming from the prospective of someone who has managed a lot of software development, I am appalled at the poor quality of the software... obviously I can only directly talk about Passport, but from comments I can see that SARA isn't any bed of roses. This stuff is rife with bugs and very much alpha quality at best (and I'm talking the real definition of alpha). And believe me, I've been taken to task from guys whose opinions I respect about my "unreasonable expectations."

Nevertheless, I think we need to understand Diana's place in the tree... as director of marketing for video services. My guess is that underneath that is a 100% focus on the "Mystro" platform. Implication is that eventually, "Mystro" will replace both Passport and SARA. "Mystro" is TWCs OCAP platform... what that means is it gives them a platform to sell us more stuff, some of which might actually be of interest! While she seems very polite about passing off issues with the current platforms, I have little hope that any of the nasty issues will really get solved. And it does piss me off that I'm going to have to live with some of this stuff for maybe another year, but that's life. Like said earlier, SOMEONE at TWC must want to really listen to users and here we have a executive who is doing that through this forum... and undoubtedly because there seems to be a lot less angry miscreant type posts like we find elsewhere.

Not aiming at any one person, but my implication is we all need to keep it polite. I dare say the more polite we are, the more she listens!

Time Warner NYC (Man North Head End) - 8742HD DVR ODN 5.2.0_9

Riverside_Guy is offline  
post #207 of 685 Old 10-29-2006, 02:43 PM
Member
 
ready71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would be happy if the TW DVR's matched the functionality of my 1999 ReplayTV. I'm serious.
ready71 is offline  
post #208 of 685 Old 10-30-2006, 12:00 AM
Newbie
 
Tokugawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dana,

Thank you. Thank you for taking the time and the effort to talk to us all.

That said, are there other people at TWC willing to come here and listen to us? Specifically, someone from the Southern California area? Other than the 800 numbers listed on TWCs website for customer service, whom could I talk to about my TWC service and Moto boxes?

Thanks again for your time.

-Drew
Tokugawa is offline  
post #209 of 685 Old 10-30-2006, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Marky_Mark896's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Outside Bowling Green, Ohio
Posts: 2,148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That's true Diana. You know how busy we kept you in SC. Now that you've gone "national" on AVS, you might want to try to recruit some regional help from other people in TWC, or you'll get over run by requests.

Diana has been our contact for TWC through AVS for about 2 years or so in South Carolina, and she was awesome for getting things done.

Thanks Diana,
Mark

It's not just a hobby, it's an obsession...
Marky_Mark896 is offline  
post #210 of 685 Old 10-30-2006, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
davehancock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hamburg, NY (near Buffalo)
Posts: 5,403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Yes that is an EXCELLENT thought. Diana was national on AVS for awhile, but was overwhelmed by requests from outside the region that was paying her. She gracefully withdrew to supporting only her local region.

TW here in Rochester is very insular. It is extremely difficult to have any sort of intelligent communication with them.

Dave Hancock
davehancock is offline  
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off