F Connector Difference - RG6/RG58/RG59? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-26-2006, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
Imp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Small question about F connectors on coax cables. My TV has been receiving massive interference ever since the connector (screw on part) on the signal splitter broke off. For months, the wire has just been pushed into the splitter, and I'm finally going to get off my lazy *** and fix it. However, I'm not sure which F connector type to get for my current RG-59 cable. I've been to two stores so far, and they have crimp/screw ons for RG-58 and RG-6, but not for RG-59. All the cables physically look the same to me, especially the connector. So, is there any problem if I just went random and put on an F connector for RG58/RG6 onto an RG-59?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-26-2006, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp
So, is there any problem if I just went random and put on an F connector for RG58/RG6 onto an RG-59?
Yes. RG58 will cause impedance mismatch. 50 vs 75 ohm. RG6 utilizes thicker cable. RG-59 compression connectors are readily available at Home Depot, Lowes, etc.,
post #3 of 7 Old 12-26-2006, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Please do not use RG6 fittings on RG59 cable, they are differing sizes. At best replace RG59 with RG6.

A veteran is someone who, wrote a blank check Made Payable to 'The USA, ' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'
post #4 of 7 Old 12-26-2006, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheaterguy
Please do not use RG6 fittings on RG59 cable, they are differing sizes. At best replace RG59 with RG6.
I am planning on a complete re wire with crimp on RG-6 connectors I have. I suppose then it is safe to assume that the RG-6 Quad cable I was going to purchase would be satisfactory? Thank you for any info.

Jim
post #5 of 7 Old 12-26-2006, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipesmoker
I am planning on a complete re wire with crimp on RG-6 connectors I have. I suppose then it is safe to assume that the RG-6 Quad cable I was going to purchase would be satisfactory? Thank you for any info.

Jim
IMHO, satisfactory comprises RG-6 Dual Shield, DS compression fittings, copper clad steel swept to 1 ghz for catv installation.

Satellite, the same except swept to 3 ghz.

Others are steadfast in Quad Shield, QS connectors,swept to 3 ghz, solid copper.

It depends on affordability, ease of use, application, and proximity to radio interference sources.

In summary, as hometheaterguy stated, use RG-6 over RG-59. (Just use the correct size of connector for type of RG-6 used).
post #6 of 7 Old 12-26-2006, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter
Imp

Thanks all, just saved me $5 and a LOT of trouble. However, the cable is about a 50' run, so I won't be replacing it. I can get RG6 for about $20, but the picture was good enough before the connector broke off, so I'm just going to leave it.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-29-2006, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter
Imp

Well, got it done. Just cut off the old connector, stripped it down and screwed on the F-connector (don't have/know how to crimp). Picture is now crisp again:). However, feel stupid paying $5 at The Source for 1 connector when Wal-mart had 2 for $3.50, oh well. Also, I'm surprised at now thin the outer insulation of a coax is. Speaker wire seems to have more plastic. Anyways, thanks all.
Closed Thread Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page