Cable box keeps resetting dynamic range to "narrow" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-05-2007, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have Cox cable, Motorola DCT6416, and every day when I watch TV I find that the dynamic range in the audio settings has been reset to "narrow". I reset it to "wide" and it is fine- until the next day. When I find it is "narrow" again. I hate squashed compressed sound is there any way to get this setting to stick. I suspect it's the passport echo firmware getting its daily updates. Is anyone else having this problem and is there any way to get this setting to stick?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-05-2007, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

get a new box. Sounds like a bug in the software.

"PLEASE HELP STOP HDTV ABUSE! FEED YOUR HDTV AN HD SIGNAL!"
post #3 of 10 Old 01-09-2007, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffStickney View Post

I have Cox cable, Motorola DCT6416, and every day when I watch TV I find that the dynamic range in the audio settings has been reset to "narrow". I reset it to "wide" and it is fine- until the next day. When I find it is "narrow" again. I hate squashed compressed sound is there any way to get this setting to stick. I suspect it's the passport echo firmware getting its daily updates. Is anyone else having this problem and is there any way to get this setting to stick?

Are you losing power, maybe even briefly? I have FiOS and the Motorloa STB will default to heavy audio compression with even the briefest of power interruptions. Others have reported the same thing so it isn't a faulty box. It seems to be the one and only setting that isn't preserved. Luckily for me the power is pretty stable here. But if you have any power fluctuations that might be the problem.
post #4 of 10 Old 01-25-2007, 06:02 AM

I'm having the exact same problem. It seems to be related to the new software, since I didn't have this problem before the recent update. Not only does the setting impact the analog output, but also the digital output. I can't see where I could be getting a power outage every night, but I guess that anything's possible.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-25-2007, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

It couldn't be a power outage because once mine reset itself mid-show. I was watching and suddenly it got louder. I checked the settings and sure enough, dynamic range was reset to narrow. On the old software dynamic range wasn't even a setting option. Does anyone know who makes this software? They need to receive some complaints.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-26-2007, 08:44 AM

My Motorola is rented from Cox cable, so I thought that I would give it a shot. So I sent an e-mail to their technical support address. As expected, they didn't have an answer and all they could do was suggest that I call them during business hours to discuss it. Not sure where to go from here.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-26-2007, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Passport echo's website:
http://www.pioneerdigital.com/passpo...ssportecho.asp

Motorola's website:
https://broadband.motorola.com/dvr/contact.asp

I don't think the cable company would be much help because the software bug is either in motorola's firmware or in passport echo.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-22-2007, 05:17 PM

I haven't had to correct the Dynamic Range setting on mine for 2 days now. I hope this means that it's been fixed via software update or something.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-26-2007, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

We (TWC Lincoln customers) have three choices: Narrow, Normal & Wide.

What exactly does it do & which setting is recommended? (I"m sure WIDE, based on the replies up above),,,I'm wondering why the choice is there????

Does the setting matter if you run RCA/analog or Digital/Optical-Coax through a Pre or receiver,,,Or for that matter, using the on-board TV speakers?

HH
post #10 of 10 Old 02-26-2007, 02:27 PM

Wide seems to do what it says...gives the widest differences between the soft passages and the loud passages. I guess Wide would be another way of saying that it doesn't alter the audio--passes it as-is from the source channel. Narrow sounds very compressed to me, everything seems loud. On my unit, the setting impacts both analog and digital outputs.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page